Added: CO Guardian support

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
Hello,
The latest edition (version AD) of the installation guide lists in the changes section that support was added for the CO Guardian monitor. I looked through the whole manual but couldn't find anything, neither terms CO (monitor), Guardian are mentioned anywhere in the installation manual. I like the idea of an CO monitor integrated with the Dynon product, but I am very curious what the support actually means in this case. Did anyone find some other explanation what this statement actually means?
Looking at the Guardian product line I could find a model 353N-201 that provides an 0-5 Volt analog output that can be used by an EFIS (e.g. Dynon), but that doesn't seen an adaptation that Dynon added. I would provide a continuous monitoring capability as long as one of the analog channels is available. That model also has a serial rs-232 interface but it doesn't document what this interface is generating, in any case serial interfaces being at premium doesn't seem an way to connect to the Dynon (my setup already uses all five (GPS, transponder, ADSB, COM2 and ELT).

Raymo

I love aviation!
Being that it is listed under "Updated EMS Sensor Configuration file:," it would point to one of the EMS inputs being used to trigger a warning on the EFIS.

The Guardian site says it supports and external annunciator light, which the install drawing shows as 12 volt from the 2 amp CB (LED or similar). With that information, you should be able to set up a general purpose input and use the test feature of the CO detector to confirm proper operation.

You could have the annunciator light and use the spare relay output for the EFIS signal.

swatson999

I'd sure like to see a more complete interface solution for a remote CO detector than just a simple on-off indication. If the Guardian box has serial comm, then it seems a perfectly natural implementation to figure out (with Guardian's engineers) how to hook it up so as to display actual PPM values for CO on a widget.

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
Steve,
But the model 353N-201 has, besides the alarm relay and the rs232 connection, two analog outputs so as long as you have analog channels on the Skyview you can already display the percentage CO and the temperature, besides the alarm condition. It is just the rs232 that remains a mystery. The skyview woudl easily be able to check for a %CO limit, it jsut can't directly take the exposure duration into account, except for some delay in an alarm response,
- Maarten

awmuhs@aol.com

I have purchased and installed a Guardian 353D. This is the new part number for the one that is compatible with Dynon. the old number was 353N.

I talked to the Guardian Engineer he believes that the Dynon software was modified some time last year so that you could define the 353D CO detector. I went through all of the EMS input sensor possibilities but could not find a way to add it so that I can read the CO PPM. I can add a contact input that shows Safe or High.

I did not do anything with the serial inputs.

Is there going to be a software change that allows adding a CO input that displays CO PPM?

swatson999

Sure would like to have this capability (Dynon to CO detector via serial line, ability to display actual PPM and alarms...not just a relay alarm).

Seems like it'd be a simple thing to add, once you have the output data stream format from Guardian.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If you have the latest software and the latest engine sensor definition file, you can hook up the CO Guardians that have an analog output (the Sport does, for example) to any of the four enhanced GP input. On those inputs, select pressure for type, and then you'll see it on the list.

awmuhs@aol.com

I did as suggested in the previous post from Dynon and it worked.

On my skyview D37 connector I used pin 22.

I was told by Guardian to range it from 0 to 1000 PPM.

I set the normal level from 0 to 49 PPM. From 50 to 99 PPM I have it show yellow on the Dynon display which should correspond to the amber warning light on the 353. From 100 to 1000 PPM I have it show red which should correspond the red warning light on the 353.

When I push the test button on the 353 the displayed PPM increases enough so that the display turns red and I get an audible alarm in my headset.

rlbergsma

I love flying!
Hi all,

First of all, thank you all for trying to clear up the confusion around the CO Guardian integration with SkyView, but... I am still very confused and therefore would like to kindly ask if anyone can post a very clear 'manual' how to exactly connect a CO Guardian 353N-101 (currently sold as 353D-101) to your SkyView system.

I am totally confused what connection(s) and configuration are needed to my EMS (SV-EMS-220) and (one of) my serial ports on my PFD (SV-D1000T). I currently use both connections (I used the wiring diagram from the installation drawings of Guardian Avionics for the 353N-101, so I thought that would be OK):

Wired to my EMS:
- CO pin 3 ('CO 0-5V') wired to EMS C37 P31 ('CO PPM')
- CO pin 6 ('TEMP 0-5V') not (yet) connected

Wired to my PFD:
- CO pin 7 ('RS232 OUT') wired to PFD Serial Port 3 RX
- CO pin 8 ('RS232 IN') wired to PFD Serial Port 3 TX

Questions I have:
- Did I use the correct pin type on my EMS for the 'CO PPM'?

- Is it actually OK to wire the CO pins 7&8 to my Dynon's serial port?
- If yes, what should then be the settings (like baud rate, type of device in and out, etc.)? And how does it actually then work/operate?

- Is it recommendable to use 'CO TEMP' as well, wired through my EMS?
- If yes, what would be a correct EMS pin to wire it to?

It would really help if anyone can write a step by step instruction of how/what to wire to where and how to do the configuration of PFD and EMS?

Thank you, 'anyone', for your kind help!

mmarien

Murray M.
The RS232 connections won't work. Disconnect them when you get a chance. Your connection to EMS C37 P31 will work. You just need to set it up and add a gauge to one of your ENGINE pages.

If you have never added or modified an engine gauge you might want to read through the "EMS Sensor Definitions, Mapping, and Settings" in the Installation Guide. That will help you understand the following directions.

With Skyview ON, press and hold buttons 7 and 8 together to get into Skyview setup. Use EMS SETUP>SENSOR INPUT MAPPING to map pin C37p31 to the CO GUARDIAN and set the ranges with EMS SETUP>SENSOR SETUP. or

Copy the following text and save it to a TXT file called "CO.DFG". Put it on a thumb drive. Use SYSTEM SOFTWARE>LOAD FILES... Select the file you saved. It should report all lines loaded.

Code:
ems_module={
      c37_p31={
            valid=1
            name=CO PPM
            id=CO GUARDIAN 353N-201
            alarm_type=LATCHING
            range={
                  max_display=200
                  min_display=0
                  range1_valid=1
                  range1_top=49
                  range1_bot=0
                  range1_name=R1
                  range1_color=GREEN
                  range2_valid=1
                  range2_top=99
                  range2_bot=50
                  range2_name=R2
                  range2_color=YELLOW
                  range3_valid=1
                  range3_top=1000
                  range3_bot=100
                  range3_name=R3
                  range3_color=RED
                  range4_valid=0
                  range4_top=13.5
                  range4_bot=12
                  range4_name=R4
                  range4_color=GREEN
                  range5_valid=0
                  range5_top=12
                  range5_bot=10
                  range5_name=R5
                  range5_color=YELLOW
                  }
            show_units=0
            }
      }

Either way, use EMS SETUP>SCREEN LAYOUT EDITOR to add the CO PPM sensor to one or more of your engine pages.

You will get an ENGINE MONITOR alarm if the gauge goes into the red.

GalinHdz

Does this work with all Guardian CO2 detector models (353-101, 353-201, 353D-101, etc) or just with a few specific ones?

:cool:

swatson999

So all of my Enhanced General Purpose Inputs are filled, but at least a couple of them could, I believe, be moved to regular GP inputs. I have

Pin 8: Fuel Pressure Transducer
Pin 22: Fuel Level L (Capacitive to Voltage converter)
Pin 23: Roll Trim Position Potentiometer
Pin 31: Fuel Level R (Capacitive to Voltage converter)

I'm pretty sure FP and Roll Trim Pos can be moved, because Oil Press and Elevator Trim Pos are not on an Enhanced GP input.

Alternatively, does the CO Guardian *require* Enhanced GP? Or will a regular GP input work?

And what's with the RS-232? I presume it's useless because the SV doesn't know how to talk to the COG...

swatson999

The RS232 connections won't work. Disconnect them when you get a chance. Your connection to EMS C37 P31 will work. You just need to set it up and add a gauge to one of your ENGINE pages.

If you have never added or modified an engine gauge you might want to read through the "EMS Sensor Definitions, Mapping, and Settings" in the Installation Guide. That will help you understand the following directions.

With Skyview ON, press and hold buttons 7 and 8 together to get into Skyview setup. Use EMS SETUP>SENSOR INPUT MAPPING to map pin C37p31 to the CO GUARDIAN and set the ranges with EMS SETUP>SENSOR SETUP. or

Copy the following text and save it to a TXT file called "CO.DFG". Put it on a thumb drive. Use SYSTEM SOFTWARE>LOAD FILES... Select the file you saved. It should report all lines loaded.

Code:
ems_module={
      c37_p31={
            valid=1
            name=CO PPM
            id=CO GUARDIAN 353N-201
            alarm_type=LATCHING
            range={
                  max_display=200
                  min_display=0
                  range1_valid=1
                  range1_top=49
                  range1_bot=0
                  range1_name=R1
                  range1_color=GREEN
                  range2_valid=1
                  range2_top=99
                  range2_bot=50
                  range2_name=R2
                  range2_color=YELLOW
                  range3_valid=1
                  range3_top=1000
                  range3_bot=100
                  range3_name=R3
                  range3_color=RED
                  range4_valid=0
                  range4_top=13.5
                  range4_bot=12
                  range4_name=R4
                  range4_color=GREEN
                  range5_valid=0
                  range5_top=12
                  range5_bot=10
                  range5_name=R5
                  range5_color=YELLOW
                  }
            show_units=0
            }
      }

Either way, use EMS SETUP>SCREEN LAYOUT EDITOR to add the CO PPM sensor to one or more of your engine pages.

You will get an ENGINE MONITOR alarm if the gauge goes into the red.

BTW, does this get you a display of the actual PPM values, or just a colored round widget?

Lee_Kitson

Hello Dynon Support,

I have a question about the CO Guardian sensor definition that's in the most recent EMS software configuration file.

I recently installed a 353D-101 and connected it to SV-EMS-220 D37 P31 following the instructions earlier in this thread. I mapped pin 31 to the CO Guardian 353N-101 that's included win the EMS software config file and the Skyview screen shows a number or the CO ppm, but it seems high - around 14 ppm. To double check that the CO levels in my shop aren't that high I put the CO monitor outside for awhile and then sealed it in a plastic bag so the air the CO monitor was sensing should have been near zero PPM but it still indicated 14 when I hooked it back up to the Skyview (still in the plastic bag).

Looking and the sensor config file, the low_coeff is as follows

* low_coeff={
c_x4=0
c_x3=0
c_x2=0
c_x1=250
c_x0=0
}

The output voltage from the CO Guardian is reading around .0573 which would make the ppm read around 14 ppm using the x1=250 as a multiplier. If I change the 250 to 25 the ppm reading drops to 1 which seems more reasonable.

So I'm thinking that the x1 is supposed to be 25 rather than 250 and whoever created the config file inserted 25 in front of the 0 rather than overwriting it.

Does that make sense or is 250 indeed the correct number?

djones

Administrator
Staff member
Just a quick update, I am currently working on this. By the documentation we have 250 is indeed correct for X1. When I run the numbers it needs X0=-124. I did test it and it works fine like that, but we want to verify we have current info from the vendor before we mod the sensor file.

Lee_Kitson

Thanks Don. I plugged your X1 and X0 numbers into my sensor file but now the CO widget has a red X through it. I'll wait for your updated file to see if that works.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Don. I plugged your X1 and X0 numbers into my sensor file but now the CO widget has a red X through it. I'll wait for your updated file to see if that works.

I think I also had the change the min_val=5 to -10, still working on this, but time has been limited this week.