ADS-B OK and ADS-B Status

badia358

Question/Help. I installed the SV-XPNDR-261 in my RV-6A. I have an original 10" Dynon Skyview Display. I am getting my GPS signal to the SV-XPNDR-261 from the Garmin GNS 430W. The Transponder menu shows compliance = YES. On my first flight I was told that other airplanes with ADS-B In were not able to see me. On my second flight, without making any changes, others with ADS-B In were now able to see me. I also contacted ATC and asked for a transponder check and we did flight following for about 30 minutes with no issues. A ADS-B performance report indicated that all was working well.

A week ago, I went flying and requested a ADS-B performance report and a received an email that there was no report for my tail number. This made me wonder if my ADS-B Out was working.

Question: I have noticed in some pictures that the SV-Display shows ADS-B OK (OK in Green) and it also shows ADS-B Status. I have not seen the ADS-B OK or Status on my display. Is there a setting for me to turn on the ADS-B OK or Status on my Display? This way I may be able to see if ADS-B Out is working.

Thank you...

badia358

I just checked 7-34 and 7-28 in the User's Guide. While flying I do see TIS OK and TIS NOT AVAILABLE, but have not seen ADS-B OK or ADS-B No RADAR. Do these messages just pop up or is there a label that needs to be set up?

Thank you...

swatson999

You *do* have the ADS-B *IN* module and antenna, right?

And what output settings do you have on the 430W? You have to set the output to ADS-B+ (not just ADS-B) on the 430W.

badia358

I just have the SV-XPNDR-261 and just wanted to make sure that my ADS-B Out is working. Will need to check the 430W for settings. I do have a uAvionix echo that I was using for ADS-B In and Out, but removed my Garmin 327 transponder and added the SV-XPNDR-261 and only using the uAvionix echo for ADS-B in.

Thank you...

badia358

Here are my Transponder Settings:
STATUS ON-LINE HW22.03 FW01.02 SW02.11
USA $91.227 COMPLIANT YES
TRANSPONDER WARNING NONE
GPS DATA (OK) GARMIN ADS-B/ADS-B+
PRESSURE ALTITUDE (OK) SKYVIEW
TRANSPONDER HEX CODE MY CODE FROM FAA REGISTRY
FLIGHT ID UNUSED
VFR CODE 1200
AUTO ALT/GND AUTOMATIC (AIR DATA)

As I stated in my initial post. On the second flight I was able to get a successful ADS-B performance report.

Making sure that my setup is correct and just was wondering why I did not see ADS-B OK or ADS-B NO RADAR on the display or ADS-B Status on the Display.

Thank you...

djones

Administrator
Staff member
Here are my Transponder Settings:
STATUS ON-LINE HW22.03 FW01.02 SW02.11
USA $91.227 COMPLIANT YES
TRANSPONDER WARNING NONE
GPS DATA (OK) GARMIN ADS-B/ADS-B+
PRESSURE ALTITUDE (OK) SKYVIEW
TRANSPONDER HEX CODE MY CODE FROM FAA REGISTRY
FLIGHT ID UNUSED
VFR CODE 1200
AUTO ALT/GND AUTOMATIC (AIR DATA)

As I stated in my initial post. On the second flight I was able to get a successful ADS-B performance report.

Making sure that my setup is correct and just was wondering why I did not see ADS-B OK or ADS-B NO RADAR on the display or ADS-B Status on the Display.

Thank you...
ADSB-B OK, NO RADAR are all status messages of ADSB IN and have nothing to do with ADSB-OUT.
Your settings look correct and it looks like the Garmin is also set correctly, or it wouldn't say OK on the GPS DATA line.
Make a few more flights and pull PAPR reports on them to make sure it is all working as it should.

badia358

Appreciate the feedback and now understand the status messages are from ADS-B IN. Will do a few more flights and pull the ADS-B Performance Report (PAPR).

Plus I am thinking of removing the uAvionix echo and just replacing it with SV-ADSB-472. This way I just have a total Dynon Skyview Solution which is the same that I am doing with my RV-10 project that I hope to complete this year.

Thank you...