Any GTN-650/SV/Dynon ADSB/IPad Power Users?!?!?

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Any GTN-650/SV/Dynon ADSB/IPad Power Users out there in Cyberspace that can share experience and/or give me some advice?!?!?

I am getting ready for a first flight and my airplane has the following avionics:

-Dual SV-1000 (with WIFI)
-GTN-650
-Dynon ADS-B
-Dynon AP
-Dynon transponder
-Dynon radio
-iPad

So I am seeking advice (PLEASE) from the "Power Users" out there on how I should use/integrate these different systems.

I believe the Dynon radio will be much easier to use than the GTN so I will most likely use that as the primary comm.

Then...I am trying to decide on the best iPad app to use that will integrate the best with SV and the GTN.

HERE ARE LOTS AND LOTS OF QUESTIONS:

I have used ForeFlight (FF) and I know that I can plan a flight at home and then zap the flight plan into the SV via WIFI...REALLY COOL...While enroute, I can rubberband legs on the FF app and then zap the revised route into SV and the moving map shows on the SV screen...really...REALLY COOL!!!

I know I need the GTN-$$$ because it is a certified GPS navigator and it also has the VOR/ILS receiver...but how does it integrate into the mix during real life/everyday flying?

So...The Dynon SV system has a GPS antenna however that antenna is just the signal...there is still a "navigator" system within the SV and that navigator is what displays the moving map (roads/rivers/mountains/airports/weather) onto the MFD screen.

What happens to the SV navigator when the the GTN is the source of the flight plan? Does the SV system still take its own GPS-2020 signal and use that position plus the ADAHRS to present the relative position of the roads/rivers/mountains/airports/weather to the airplane onto the screen and then just overlay the GTN derived flight plan fixes?

If I program a route on the GTN do all of the fixes appear on the SV moving map display (or do just Dynon generated fixes appear on the moving map)?

Do I use the Dynon GPS navigation 95 percent of the time and then only use the GTN guidance for approaches or do I just roll (fly) with the GTN all of the time and never bother with the Dynon GPS?

Does FF or Dynon play with the GTN-650 as far as zapping flight plans to/from FF/Dynon to GTN?

If I make changes in the GTN do those changes get back to FF?

If I make changes in the GTN do those changes get to the Dynon?

Will the GTN produce enroute VNAV and switch to VGP...In other words can I be sitting at 12500 and then program the flight plan and GSP approach to cross ABCDE initial approach fix at 3000 feet and then watch the VNAV needle lower down and then the automatic capture the enroute VNAV and then watch the magic switch to VGP and fly the final approach?

Same scenario as above except that this will be an ILS approach (I HATE these things...GPS is mo-betta).,,will the magic intercept the enroute VNAV and then (assuming this is a full non-vectored approach) turn final and then capture the LOC and then switch from VNAV to GS and capture the GS?

What happens when I press the TOGA button?

Does the GTN drive the command bars to Go Around pitch attitude with a wings level command only...OR...does the command bars go to Go Around pitch attitude and then also advance the course guidance to the missed approach course and hold?

Does the Dynon AP disconnect or does it pitch up to the Go around pitch attitude?

What about ADS-B traffic and weather? Does this stuff appear on the FF app so I can fly around weather?

Anyhoo...Lots of questions however I REALLY APPRECIATE your help in figuring this all out!!!

Bill

Mark_Dickens

I have the same setup you do. I can't answer all of your questions, but this may help. Understand that the SV gets external input and steering directions through the ARINC box and that the GTN-650 outputs those commands through the ARINC box. Just what is output is determined in the GTN-650 (see page 8-29 of the Garmin User Guide). The SV only uses those commands if you select the GTN-650 as the CDI input. The GTN-650 changes nothing on the SV MFD. The map displayed over there is completely generated internally in the SV. Essentially, the GTN-650 sees the SV as an external CDI through the ARINC box. It has no idea that it's talking to SV.

So, assume you want to navigate to a VOR using the SV and the autopilot. You select the VOR freq in the nav receiver of the 650, select the CDI output to VLOC on the 650 (page 8-29 again), select the 650 as the SV CDI input, set your course on the SV, and then you're off to the races. Same with the GPS although it makes no sense to do that unless you're flying in a situation that requires a certified IFR GPS receiver.

All of these things you're asking about as in the manuals too!

Raymo

I love aviation!
1. What happens to the SV navigator when the the GTN is the source of the flight plan? Does the SV system still take its own GPS-2020 signal and use that position plus the ADAHRS to present the relative position of the roads/rivers/mountains/airports/weather to the airplane onto the screen and then just overlay the GTN derived flight plan fixes?

2. What about ADS-B traffic and weather?  Does this stuff appear on the FF app so I can fly around weather?

Bill

I'm not using a GTN-650 (hope to some day) but can answer the above.

1. SV uses the GPS source you tell it to use. If that source fails, it will switch to the other automatically (I think). ADS-B out, on the other hand, always uses the source that is configured in the system.

2. Yes. It will also be on the SV screen (if enabled) so FF would be redundant. Filtering of traffic is likely configured per device.

bobl_51

I love flying!
I have a similar setup, but with an older GNS-480. As far as the navigating goes, you can use either the Dynon builtin flightplan features or the GTN-650 flightplan to display on the Dynon map, drive the HSI course needle and control the autopilot.

To get this from GTN-650 you need to have the Dynon SV-ARINC-429 adapter, and then 2 things: you select GTN as the HSI source, and you select on the Dynon Map/FPL menu page that you want the GTN-650 flight plan to be displayed instead of the SV plan (this includes all the IFR approach waypoints). The rest of the map (terrain, airspace, obstacles, airports, etc). always comes from the Skyview internal database.

This makes a great IFR setup by the way, especially if you have the Dynon SV-AP-PANEL, the AP can fly the ILS or RNAV approaches right to minimums if you let it. If you have the GTN setup to auto-switch from GPS to VLOC mode, the SV HSI and autopilot will follow. I've never tried the Go-around features.

There is no communication between FF and GTN.

I generally use the Skyview map features for VFR, as I find it  easier to input temporary waypoints, plus you get the integration with FF.

Mark_Dickens

True as it is out of the box, but if you add the Garmin FlightStream 210, you get everything on FF. I have this set up in my Cirrus with the G1000 and I love it. I wish the 210 had been available when I built my RV-8 panel. Someday when I feel like diving into the panel, I'll add it for sure.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
>All of these things you're asking about as in the manuals too!

Thank you for your advice.

About reading the manuals...My guess is that a lot of the stuff is printed in a manual SOMEWHERE...HOWEVER after reading...and RE-READING THOUSANDS OF PAGES of various construction manuals, installation manuals, user manuals from MULTIPLE VENDORS and then trying to figure out how to integrate all of this stuff is kinda a big task.

If everyone could do that then we would not need any of these forums....as for me...I still need the forums because different people glean certain things from their own reading of the MANY MANUALS...AND...their experience from actually doing the installation and then using the product(s).

THAT IS WHY THEY GIVE US THE OPTIONS OF THESE COOL EMOTICONS...

::)

kellym

I love flying!

True as it is out of the box, but if you add the Garmin FlightStream 210, you get everything on FF. I have this set up in my Cirrus with the G1000 and I love it. I wish the 210 had been available when I built my RV-8 panel. Someday when I feel like diving into the panel, I'll add it for sure.
In a Skyview system, any of the Garmin Flightstream products are a waste of money UNLESS you absolutely have to transfer flight plans from Ipad to Garmin. You can input flightplan to SV with Dynon WiFi dongle that is a couple orders of magnitude cheaper. Unless you are doing complex IFR operations, flightplans are easy and quickly inserted in the GTN-650 once you learn the box. I have essentially the same setup as the questioner, minus Ipad. Being based in AZ, IFR flight is a rare occurrence. I use both Garmin and Skyview for flight plans, just to keep up currency.
All of this is a distraction for first flight and phase I. You won't use any flight plans until well into Phase I, finishing off the last 20 hours or so.

rogersmart

Dynon, just like kellym, I use both Garmin and Skyview Flight Plans. Since Skyview both lists and maps the Garmin flight plan, it would seem an easy add to import (copy) the flight plan to the Skyview flight plan for redundancy, but it does not. Any thoughts? Would love to have it.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Thanks All for the advice.

Yes I have the SV ARINC and the SV AUTOPILOT with KNOBS and AP PANEL.

I can't wait to see all of the pretty colors