AP Panel Level Button to work in simplified mode?

russp

I love flying!
Feature request - the AP panel LEVEL button to work in simplified mode. While I appreciate that there are good reasons the rest of the buttons on the AP panel only function in expert mode it would be a good safety feature for those of us with the AP panel but using the simplified mode if the level button was still functional. This can't be difficult to enable surely? Thanks.

AlanR

Hi russp,
I see no-one has replied to you on this.
Unsure how you have wired your Level button but on my aircraft you do not need to be in Expert mode, nor even have the AP engaged at all to use the Level button. I can press it any time the plane is in flight and it will level the aircraft out.

russp

I love flying!
Thanks Alan - I had understood that for the AP panel to work at all (including the level button) it was necessary to be in expert mode. I'll try it out in simplified mode and see if it works.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I believe russp is correct that the Level button on the AP button panel only works in Expert Mode. This change has been requested in the past. I think you can wire in a separate button to work in simple mode, though.

AlanR

Well I double checked this in flight today and can definitely can confirm that the separate Level button in my aircraft works both in Simplified mode, Expert mode and also without the Autopilot being engaged at all...In other words it works and rolls the wings level anytime.
Without referring to build notes I cannot remember if I wired anything different from standard. I used an ordinary push button and not the Dynon button but I can't see that would make any difference.

Also see here back in 2016 Dynon said in this thread it should work anytime.
http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1478744251/3

russp

I love flying!
We were talking about the Level button that forms part of the AP panel not the separate level button. The separate one should work in both modes.

rlmarshall

I think that the Autopilot Control Panel "LEVEL" button acts just like a separately installed LEVEL button: it engages the autopilot (if not already engaged) and levels (roll and pitch) the aircraft.  it is on my list of stuff to try out on my Cessna 172 HDX panel in a few days.

AlanR

Sorry, I misunderstood.
To clarify.. If you are not going to use Expert moded then then the AP button modules only function/feature in Simplified mode is Autotrim which for me this alone is worth its weight in gold, trimming the aircraft perfectly every time.
None of the buttons in the AP panel work in Simplified mode at all so I don't quite see why you would expect the Level button to work in this panel.
I fitted a seperate button on the centre console for emergency purposes where both P1 and P2 can reach for Level if needed :)

BMW_X6M

RV-9A O-320 Catto Prop. Dual HDX, ADSB GTN650
I too have added the external LEVEL button. I was waiting since I plan to add the autopilot panel someday. But once I learned that one only works in expert mode, it was time to add the external button. It is a nice addition because it turns on the autopilot immediately once pushed. Also a passenger could use it if necessary.

mmarien

Murray M.
Also a passenger could use it if necessary.
Part of my passenger briefing is to describe how the level button works. If they are really interested, I'll put the plane in an mild unusual attitude and get them to push the button. Trying the ELT button or the fire extinguisher is not allowed.