Audio wires

RudiGreyling

Skyviewers,

I know the audio wires should not be connected now, due to noises, but it is easy to do now while i have access.

I know the D100 range (previous generation) had a Variable resister to control the volume.

So to Dynon, what Variable resister can I fit to these lines, same as the D100?

This will allow me to complete the wiring now and I will turn it all the way down until (Zero Volume) and when you release Audio Alarm I can just turn the volume back up without re-wiring.

Rudi

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We'll actually have some preliminary audio wiring instructions up shortly. Depending on your install, there may be resistors involved, but it may be a slightly different scheme than the first gen product. I don't have the details right this moment. More to come soon.

RudiGreyling

Thanx, I was literally going to do the Audio wiring tonight. So Any information will be really useful. I can delay a day or two, but then I am closing the panel up.

So please share what you can...I am wiring into an audio panel (Unswitched Mono Input) what should I do?

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Rudi

mikehoover

Thanx, I was literally going to do the Audio wiring tonight. So Any information will be really useful. I can delay a day or two, but then I am closing the panel up.

So please share what you can...I am wiring into an audio panel (Unswitched Mono Input) what should I do?

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Rudi

I'm at the same point so this is good news. I have the wires ready to crimp together once we get the go ahead.

I have the L and R audio out wires from the Skyview crimped together with one end of butt splice, and the ground from Skyview also with a butt splice. The unswitched audio in on my PS Engineering audio panel is mono so I will simply crimp the Hi and Gnd leads to the waiting Skyview butt splices - unless there is something else that Dynon says needs to be done - like a resistor inline or something. Hope it will be this easy.

Mike

davestephens

This has just flicked a light bulb!! I am having problems with all sorts of noises on my radio. when i installed the system i wired the audio ready for for the future (PS Eng. intercom) could this be why?? when the auto pilot is on I can hear the digital noises of the autoplilt motors working (amoungst other noises!)

Dave

mmarien

Murray M.
I have the PM1200 intercomm from PS Engineering. I had popping sound coming from the Skyview so I disconnected the Skyview audio. Dynon said to send the unit back and they would fix it. I plan to do that come winter.

I also had my GPS495 connected to the PM1200 and had a static background noise build until something came through the intercomm. As long as there was something coming through (radio/intercomm) the static would disappear but then it started building up again when the radio/intercomm went silent. PS Engineering said that I couldn't connect the GPS495 to the PM1200. It had to do with the high noise circuitry of the PM1200. Seems strange as the PM1200 documentation has audio HI and LOW on pins 7 and 20.

You might want to check with PS Engineering about connecting audio to your intercomm.

RudiGreyling

Good to see a lot of people at the same stage,

Dynon Support can you please give us more information, on how to wire it before the official release?

Rudi

eddies

Hi Dynon,

I too am at the point in my wiring where if the info were available I would be able to terminate the audio into my intercom.

Cheers
Eddie ;)

preid

wire directly to audio panel.. would be the easy answer/solution, needing to modify my (flying) hookup for an adjustable resistor would not.
I recall being told to just wire directly a year ago when I was doing the setup of the panel. I trust this is what is being attempted.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Dynon's guidance - at this moment (late December, 2011 - firmware version 3.2.2) is to NOT connect the SkyView audio outputs. We say this because as of v3.2.2, SkyView's audio circuitry is NOT being controlled by the firmware, audio functionality has NOT been verified, and literally anything can happen with the SkyView audio if it is hooked up and feeding into your audio panel.

You could get squeals, beeps, hisses, pops, bumps, crashes, at random volumes, at random intervals, injected into your audio system. Thus we recommend NOT hooking up SkyView audio at this time.

Unfortunately, at this moment, we don't have ANY guidance to offer for SkyView audio hookup - whether external components are required, paralleling audio from multiple displays, etc. Acknowledged that such guidance was hinted at earlier, but as of this moment, none is available.

RudiGreyling

Ok, I'll close up my panel now, leave them unconnected.
Unfortunate, because now I have to get in their later again when you do release the info.
Rudi

davestephens

mmarian,

Thats Exactly what i have (noise wise) but also have the Garmin 495 Connected!

Best I start cutting wires : (

Dave

mmarien

Murray M.
Dave

Yeah. I was getting use to the 500 foot announcement on final. Had to shut the terrain warning off in the mountains. Everywhere I pointed resulted in "Pull Up. Pull UP! Terrain"

Just to try and find the real culprit here, do you have the PM1200 or is the GPS495 the common element. Does anybody else have a handheld Garmin connected to their intercom with lots of background noise?

jakej

Dave

Yeah. I was getting use to the 500 foot announcement on final. Had to shut the terrain warning off in the mountains. Everywhere I pointed resulted in "Pull Up. Pull UP! Terrain"

Just to try and find the real culprit here, do you have the PM1200 or is the GPS495 the common element. Does anybody else have a handheld Garmin connected to their intercom with lots of background noise?

Did you try it with the PM1200 turned off ? - (the audio system will still work as it will go into Failsafe mode - ie Pilot will still hear audio) but you probably tried this ?

Jake J

mmarien

Murray M.
Ummm. Nope. Not that smart. Even if that did work it kind of defeats the purpose of the intercom. I hooked up a GPS495 to a Flightcom 403 for another guy and he said that some of the screens created a lot of background noise so he disconnected his also. I didn't hear it so can't comment if it was the same noise as mine.

jakej

My suggestion was just to troubleshoot the issue by turning off/on one item at a time, good to know exactly where it's coming from - the solution is an entirely different matter ;D

Jake J

ps - you have a pm re the VP question

mmarien

Murray M.
Good point. I'm going to be up to my elbows in the panel with the VP-X transplant this winter so will spend some time on troubleshooting the problem.

davestephens

If i switch the intercom to "isolate" (pilot only) it gets much better (hardly hear any noises) swich it of completely and the noises all but go (hear them very faint as the radio (SL40) starts to sort of auto range and get more sensative (or thats what it sounds like!)

Dave