Autopilot .... cat's out of the bag now

Alfio

Seems that the Dynon autopilot is 'official' now (as reported on VAF thread). See (last page ad of kitplanes):

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/pdfs/0508-0815.pdf

Can Dynon now discuss more detailed info, such as AP-74 available in horizontal format, what are the connectors... ad mentioned AP-74 as being optional from the servos?

More info ......... please?

Thanks.

Alfio

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The AP-74 is totally optional. You hook the servos up to the EFIS via DSAB (2 wires). Once you hook up one or two servos, the EFIS starts displaying an "AP" menu, which lets you control the AP. This menu replaces the "BUGS" menu, and then BUGS are inside that menu.

You can literally hook one $750 servo to a D10A, D100, or D180 and get full roll or altitude control. Nothing else is needed, except maybe an install kit.

The AP74 gives you hard, external buttons for the AP functions. These are the same functions that are inside the EFIS menu, but they're right there on the panel. The one thing that AP74 adds is the ability to pre-select what mode will be active when you engage the AP. So you can hit "NAV" before you hit "engage" and it will come on in NAV mode.

You also get a knob to set bugs, voice alerts, and auto-dimming with the AP74. The connector on the AP74 is a male D25. The pinout is the same as the HS34's main connector, but the only pins used are power, ground, DSAB, and audio. You can also hook your disconnect buttons on your sticks to the AP74.

Each servo has a wire on it for a disconnect button, so you still get a hard disconnect on your stick even without the AP74. This button can be used to disengage the AP, and can be used for control wheel steering, or you can hold it for a few seconds to engage the AP.

The AP74 will be available horizontal the day it ships.

Let us know what you want to know!

GalinHdz

1. Which servo units are compatible with the AP or do you have to use a specific servo Mfg?

2. Is altitude hold available?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You must use our servos. That's OK though, since they are cheaper, lighter, and smarter than all the other ones. They share the same mounting dimensions as TruTrak servos, which should make them easy to install.

If you install a pitch servo, you get altitude hold. You also get the ability to actually choose an altitude, not just fly the one you are already at.

R_Glick

Beta Tester
I'm currently running the single axis TT Pictorial Pilot. I know it would be totally independant of the Dynon AP but do you see any issues with adding the Dynon ALT Hold AP and running both systems? Of course I would need a separate disconnect button. Just trying to think this through.
Thanks

Richard Glick

lawspud

What's the anticipated ship date for servos, AP unit, and/or software? How hard is the date?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The servos, AP74, and software will all be released at the same time. We're currently targeting mid to late summer. As always, no promises there.

PhantomPholly

Ok, BIG question. I have a Garmin GNS 480 and intended to hook up a TruTrack Digiflight II VSGV. This would have allowed me to have the 480 fly me through a precision approach, execute the missed approach, take me to the missed approach point and hold - all while providing both lateral and vertical steering from the 480 to the autopilot.

I have not installed the autopilot yet.

Will your autopilot provide the same functionality, including the vertical steering on the approach?

Thanks,

Bill

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes.

This will require the higher end control panel that won't be available until later this year. The AP76 Advanded Autopilot Module will cost $1500. You'll also need HS34 for ARINC-429 connectivity to the 480.

So ballpark, if you start with an EFIS-D10A, you'll be looking at:

EFIS-D10A + 2 servos + AP76 + HS34 = $5850. Installation kits will be slightly more, and of course you can outfit the EFIS with different options. We think a lot of people are going to choose this particular configuration though on the IFR side of things.

ctflyboy

My TT supplies alt hold and Ascend/descent rate. Will your AP do the "up and downs" too?

Roger

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We'll do one better- we'll fly to an actual altitude you ask for, not just vertical speed. So you can dial in 8,500' even if you are at 4,850' right now. We'll climb and descend to new altitudes at a rate you have set in the setup menu.

Buttons to actually set VS dynamically are a feature of the AP76 Advanced Autopilot Module.

Rob_Fries

In terms of wiring, how do you anticipate the the servos interface with EFIS? Connections to serial 1 or serial 2?

Thanks.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Neither. They're connected to the rest of the system via DSAB, which is a two wire per servo connection. You'll also need two wires for power/ground, and a 5th wire for disconnect.

daveg

OK, I have seen the ad and some of the pricing but it does not quite cover my situation.  I would like to add a heading AP to my D180 powered Zenith 601XL.  How much for one servo for heading control and the AP74 module?  This is all I need for single axis control, right?

Thanks,

DaveG

Brantel

From what I understand $750 will get you this.  If you want the AP74 for an easier interface, you can add that but it is not needed for basic control.

ctflyboy

Okay, I'm sold. Where do I send my money...PLEASE!

Roger

(TT AP & 2 servos for sale)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We'll start taking orders in the next couple of weeks for delivery starting this summer. Sorry, we won't take your money until we're ready to ship you a product :)

ctflyboy

Next question...

I fly a FD CT with TT AP. One servo under pilot seat, other behind the seats. I assume wiring is probably similar...will your servo's drop into place or will some work need to be done?

Roger

dstclair

A couple more questions to add to the heap:

• I have dual D100s.  Can the A/P be controlled by either unit?
  • Ballpark hours to install assuming the installer has experience with both Dynon and TT A/Ps.
thanks,

dave