Can AOA paramters be determined from data log, and manually edited?

RandomSquawk

The title pretty much says it all. I have not had good luck at all with the normal AOA calibration procedure. I keep all my logs, and upload them to SavvyAviation. By examining those logs at the point in time where I was practicing stalls, can I extract reasonable values for the purpose of manually setting AOA parameters? If so, what would be the procedure?

If it matters, I have an RV-12 with Van's standard AOA (rivet) probe.

Thanks,

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
There isn't a way to manually adjust the AOA calibration. How does it behave vs how you'd expect it to?

RandomSquawk

After following--as best I could--the in-flight AOA cal instructions through numerous power off stalls, I then got audio feedback indications only during take-offs while the nose wheel was still on the pavement; never at any other time. That's just backwards. Note that the stall vane/horn still actives when/where I would expect, and I never hear both at the same time. I purchased the AC from a multi-time amateur builder, who did the AOA install, but not a calibration. I figured/hoped that analyzing the data log would reveal either connection/data issues, or pave the way to direct entry of parameters.

kellym

I love flying!
After following--as best I could--the in-flight AOA cal instructions through numerous power off stalls, I then got audio feedback indications only during take-offs while the nose wheel was still on the pavement; never at any other time. That's just backwards. Note that the stall vane/horn still actives when/where I would expect, and I never hear both at the same time. I purchased the AC from a multi-time amateur builder, who did the AOA install, but not a calibration. I figured/hoped that analyzing the data log would reveal either connection/data issues, or pave the way to direct entry of parameters.
I am told that if you want your AOA to come on at a higher margin to stall speed, just follow the calibration instructions, EXCEPT, only take the airplane down to where your stall warning vane activates, recover, and tell the system that was a stall.

skysailor

I am told that if you want your AOA to come on at a higher margin to stall speed, just follow the calibration instructions, EXCEPT, only take the airplane down to where your stall warning vane activates, recover, and tell the system that was a stall.

I think you only need a software setting. You can do the calibration all the way to the stall per the instructions. Once complete you go into the system settings for Audio. You will see two numbers for AOA Audio. If memory serves it is "Begins at ___%" and "Solid at ___%". This way you can set your threshold as a percentage of actual stall. If you prefer it to come on at a higher speed you only need adjust the numbers a bit lower.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I don't have a stall horn but calibrated my RV-7A per the instructions but wasn't happy with the stall margin so I re-did the calibration 3 knots above stall and am very happy with it now.

RandomSquawk

With help from a friend, we pulled the wing off and found the AOA pitot tube disconnected internally. After that, calibration worked well enough on the first try that I haven't felt the need to change anything.

Thanks all for your assist.