Chart download question

dabear

So it seems you have FG working, but not the charts. Now the txt/SQLite/xml files in the plates directory are different than the FG directory, you know that, right?

BTW, the chart manager software is Seattle Avionics software, not Dynon. Don't think they can do anything about that. But I'll let them comment.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So as Bear says, the download application we have for Windows is Seattle Avionics', not Dynon's. They are the data provider, not us, and it's their responsibility to get the data to you, and there isn't a way for us to provide a tool to do this since it's not our data to distribute. You should really continue to contact them and repeat the request for a Mac version of the Windows tool. It's always hard in aviation to do a lot of work to support the 7% share that Macs represent when the overall market of all customers is already very small.

All that being said, it looks like you have the FlightGuide data working, which is good. It sounds like you are missing the IFR charts and the FAA airport diagram files.

There are (4) files to be downloaded and uncompressed. Did you get all 4, or just 1 or 2? I bet for some reason you only got 2 files and only have the FG data.

johnsteichen

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the whining. I understand what you guys have been saying about responsibility for delivering the data.
I am pounding away with a netbook PC with limited solid state disk space that I have increased by compressing everything and throwing things out. using the disk manager so far without complete success. Will follow up with SA. Thanks.
P.S. worth noting: "consumer market shares of the Mac operating system is about 25%. And climbing rapidly. 40% of college students will be buying Macs, pushing them into the business world soon, too."

Edwardoc

I love flying!
I am about to load V7.0.1 update. Thought I would start the chart subscription tomorrow as I now have the sandisk USB sticks in hand. Has there been any improvements on the web site for downloading to a MAC lately since these posts were made? I am a little confused on what goes in each folder from these posts and what files to load where. :eek:

Edwardoc

I love flying!
Last month I succeeded in downloading the chart files to a MAC and getting them in the correct root folders and loaded to the USB drive and it all worked.  YEA.

Now I am trying to do it again for the Nov 14 update and not so lucky so far.  One file will not download (FG GEO) file as it says it is not available on the server.  I sent a message  to Seattle Avionics asking about this.  Waiting for reply. In addition:

The Plates1024.PNG.ZIP file (3.3 GB file) downloads but will not expand using the MAC Archive Utility Program.  Says "Operation not permitted." 

Any Mac users got another expander I might try or any ideas as to why it worked last month and will not work this month?

The Message I sent to Seattle follows:
I downloaded the  November{1312.plates1024.png.zip} file which is a 3.3 GB zipped file to a MAC using Safari.  When I attempt to Unzip using the MAC Default Program  (Archive Utility) I get the following message:  (Unable to expand  1312.plates1024.PNG.zip into chart data Nov download file.  Error 1  Operation not permitted.)  :eek:

I downloaded last months files to the MAC with no problems and was able to expand all files and they worked fine in my EFIS.  Any guidance  besides switch to a PC.

Edwardoc

I love flying!
Don't know how it works but used a different Unarchiver (IZIP Unarchiver) and was able to unzip so problem is solved for now. Sure is cumbersome to do do on a MAC though. :cool:

Edwardoc

I love flying!
An update. The files did not unzip correctly. And I trashed the previous file that was working when I saved the defective file. So I'm back to square one. The Plates file downloads but I cannot unzip the Nov-Dec file. Don't understand why it worked fine last month and not this month. Looking for a cheap PC to use for now.

Dw1oakes

For the MAC users.
My experience is to plug in the Thumb Drive to your USB port and use Firefox for the download to the TD. The program from Dynon is installed into the root directory.

Plug the Thumb Drive into Skyview and let it do it's thing.
Dave

swatson999

Is it just me (am I doing something wrong), or does even a normal chart update/download take for-freaking-ever? Every time I've done it, has gone through and "verified" or whatever ALL 22,000 plates, etc. Takes a loooooong time to do this. Should be a quicker way...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Steve,
It's 22,000 files and 5 gigabytes. 10 years ago, that was unthinkable to even store on something affordable. It needs to make sure you have the latest and most up to date of each one. You don't want to be on an approach and have the old file. It does only change the ones that update each month, but it verifies all of them.

That being said, in my experience, it takes about 10 minutes to update a USB stick each month, which doesn't seem all that long. How long is it taking you? Are you leaving the download manager running in the background so that it can download the updates at night?

swatson999

Seems longer than 10 minutes, but maybe I'm just really impatient :). I'll double-check to see that the manager is running in the background, too, thanks for that info.

60av8tor

Is it just me (am I doing something wrong), or does even a normal chart update/download take for-freaking-ever?  Every time I've done it, has gone through and "verified" or whatever ALL 22,000 plates, etc.  Takes a loooooong time to do this.  Should be a quicker way...

Steve,

I actually talked to Seattle Avionics CS about this very thing - seemed odd to me too to take so long. I was mistakenly comparing it to updating my iPad with WingX, but I only update the eastern US for that, so it wasn't an apples to apples comparison. Keeping the program running in the tray definitely helps. From scratch, mine would take over an hour to update/review.

JTD

I am using a PC and still having problems. All I can acess is the airport diagrams on skyview. When I look at the directory of the USB drive I have a ChartData and SkyViewUS folder. There is nothing in the SkyViewUS folder. The Chartdata folder contains FG and plates folder. FG folder has 7 files The Plates folder has thousands of plates.

The data is there but wont show up on skyview.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you can access airport diagrams, SkyView is working at some level.

Do you have both "Flight Guide" and "Approach Plates" checked in the Chart Data manager? Have you tried re-clicking "Download Now?" Does the download manager show a green ball for both Flight guide and Approach plates on the stick?

What airport are you looking at?

JTD

Both are checked.  All are green.  When I look at files on the USB I see approach plates Re loaded the USB with no change

L

larrynew

I had a similar problem with my second USB drive when trying to download ChartData. The first worked fine. I reformatted the drive and now everything works as advertised.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So to clarify: You can see airport diagrams on SkyView, but no approach plates?

Which airport is this at?

Can you see Flight Guide diagrams, or just the official FAA ones?

Is the USB stick formatted with FAT32, not NTFS?

JTD

After connecting the drive to my computer and opening chart data manager one more time, it now works. And yes it would only show airport diagram at KADS.. Don't know what was up with it but it now works. Next update cycle we will know if it is a reoccurring issue.

GalinHdz

I still can't get my SKYVIEW to display any charts or plates. When I select airport information (KTMB for example) I don't get any chart/plate tab.

My USB shows:

ROOT
FOLDER -SkyviewUS
Within SkyviewUS is a folder named ChartData
   FOLDER -ChartData
   Within the folder named ChartData there are 2 folders named FG and Plates
      FOLDER -FG
       Within the folder named FG there is a folder named US and several files
          FOLDER -US (A folder with a GAZILLION files)
          Airports
          Charts
          Cities
          Plates.sqlite
          Plates
          Plates
          States

FOLDER - Plates
      Within the folder named Plates there is a folder named US and several files
          FOLDER - US (A folder with a GAZILLION files)
          Airports
          Charts
          Cities
          Plates.sqlite
          Plates
          Plates
          States

What am I doing wrong?

:cool: