Could not initialize RTIO USB Port during Update

N11VX

I love flying!
I've had this happen on the last two updates to my 10" HDX Skyview. The update states that the RTIO USB port can't be started and the update to RTIO hangs at 5%.

The screen says don't turn off the power, but waiting for more than 30 minutes with no progress indicates to me that the power needs to be turned off. For this latest update and the one before, I had this behavior. I did kill the power (hard with the backup battery option). The system restarts and completes the update.

I am concerned that there is an impending failure or, at the very least, prolonged updates from now out.

Dynon: have you any advice?

Thank you!

-Randy

N11VX

I love flying!
Are you using the wired USB port or directly to a port on the screen? If the former, try the latter.

I'm sorry: I don't quite understand. I am using one USB port for a thumb drive that holds the Seattle Micro chart data. That USB thumb drive is also where I update the Skyview software.

I don't believe I have any other USB devices.

-Randy

Raymo

I love aviation!
There are 3 USB drives per screen. One is a dongle that is often fed to the panel or made available under the panel for easy access. The other 2 ports are on the back of each screen. One of these is often used for the WiFi adapter.

N11VX

I love flying!
There are 3 USB drives per screen. One is a dongle that is often fed to the panel or made available under the panel for easy access. The other 2 ports are on the back of each screen. One of these is often used for the WiFi adapter.

Got it! Yes, I am using one of the ports on the back of the computer itself, so that would rule out the potential fix you stated.

Oddly enough, I never had a problem until the last two releases and nothing was changed in my installation....

-Randy

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
It can indicate a hardware issue with the display. Give our support team a call at 425-402-0433 or email at support at dynonavionics dot com for more help.

N11VX

I love flying!
In case that anyone else has this issue and wonders about the resolution:

I called support, and received a call back. The restart that I performed was appropriate in this situation, and since the unit did recover from the error on restart, support is calling it, "no harm / no foul." I was told that this kind of thing can happen and 90% of the time, this is the solution: reboot and carry on. Note that I did wait a significant amount of time (30+ minutes) before restarting the unit. Some of these updates do appear stalled when they are, in fact, healthy, so be patient.

Hopefully this helps anyone else who comes across the issue.

-Randy