D10A intermittent readings on HSI from Garmin 430

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Re: D10A intermittent readings on HSI from Garmin

Unfortunately, since you don't have the bearing pointer turned on in that video, it's hard for us to say if it's the same problem we know about or not.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

On the smaller jitters - remember that reception issues, antenna placement, etc, may be causing actual jitters in the CDI that the 430 is actually broadcasting.

If you want to do some more videoing, it would be interesting to see what the VOR bearing pointer is doing while you're seeing those CDI jitters when you're not turning the knob.

That said, our next firmware update does change the HSI communication quite a bit, so some of these other issues will likely end up being fixed as an artifact of that.

Henrik

Please explain what you mean when you say the "bearing pointer is not turned on"....what have I missed?
Do I have to do more than select a frequency and choose a radial?
Do you have any thoughts about the sudden jump from one selected radial to anoither random selection?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

Hit the "BRG SRC" button on the HS34
It will highlight one of the bearing pointer fields.
Use the value knob to choose NAV as your bearing pointer

You'll now have a yellow bearing pointer (RMI) on the background of the HS34. This will always point direct to the station. If you put the OBS on top of it, the CDI needle will be centered.

Seeing how this bearing pointer behaves during the jumps tells us a lot about what is going on.

agrantz

They have responded a couple times to this one in the past and said that the new firmware will fix this and is to be released with the AP.

But I see that one of you is an AP beta tester so this is confusing. If the beta tester is seeing the same issue, is it truly fixed????

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to observations made in June on v4.0 firmware. I just wanted to clarify that the jitter I observed was not just full scale (during OBS adjustment), but small jumps from side to side of equal magnitude when established on a course. Very similar to what Henrik observed. I've made no attempt to revisit the problem, and will have to wait until new firmware is released.

Alan

Henrik

Have tried to bring up the RMI yellow indicator as you described, however pressing bearing source button does not highlight anything....also having pressed the BRG SRC button and then adjusted the value knob all that is changed is the altimeter pressure setting. WHAT HAVE WE MISSED NOW?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

It should highlight the yellow dashed field, allowing you to change its source. Can you hook up a computer and check the firmware version of both the EFIS and the HS34. We'll have our 5.0 firmware release out in a few weeks, hopefully. My though is to and see if that changes anything for the better with the better if you can wait that long.

agrantz

Firmware V5.0 has fixed the problem with the jumpy CDI needle.

Brantel

Thats really good to here!

I knew Dynon could do it with software fixes because seems no competitors have this issue over serial.

Great work Dynon....

So Dynon, does this mean that all the HSI features are working properly with 5.0 with the 430/430W and the SL30 over serial? Everything, including the 2 RMI pointers?

Henrik

Great to hear that the fimwear update will deal with the "jitters."
Can you advise whether I have a separate problem with a complete lack of responce from the BRG SRC button? No indicator of any kind.
We only have one source (the Garmin 430)
The firmware versions are 4.0.4 for the D100 &10A and 4.0.1 for the HS34.
How long before the firmware update is released?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

A fewish weeks.

Henrik

Can you advise whether I have a separate problem with a complete lack of responce from the BRG SRC button? No indicator of any kind.
We only have one source (the Garmin 430)
The firmware versions are 4.0.4 for the D100 &10A and 4.0.1 for the HS34.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

Does the bearing line even flash for a moment when you push the BRG SRC button? Or is there nothing at all?

Just to eliminate any firmware incompatibility issues, try updating to 4.2 on both units. If that doesn't fix it, we could be looking at a hardware problem with your HS34 and would need to take a look at it to see if there is anything wrong with it.

meljordan

Also,make sure that you are looking at the HSI on the DSAB master EFIS when you push the BRG SRC button. You can only make the change on the master unit, not on a slave. The bearing pointer shows up on the slave, but you can't make the selection there. If you are like me, you use the D100 as the master EFIS and the D10A as the HSI.

Regards,
Mel Jordan

Henrik

Mel,
Thanks for this. We have certainly only been looking at the D10a. We will monitor the D100 and see what is happening there. If this is the solution, does the BRG SRC button need selecting every time you start up, or, taking account that we only have one source, is it a one off operation?. If the BRG SRC button needs operating every time we start up the system, what would be the dissadvantage if D10a were to become the master unit so that we do not have to flick between units to show the HSI each time?

Dynon,
What do you mean by the "bearing line"? Is this the yellow bearing source pointer that we have never seen of the green pointer with the CDI?
We will update all units to version 4.2.
Look forward to your clarification of the above.
Henrik

meljordan

Henrik,

The BRG SRC stays as you have last set it through shutdown and startup, so once you have it engaged it stays that way.

Best Regards,
Mel

Henrik

Thanks Mel,
Dynon,
What do you mean by the "bearing line"? Is this the yellow bearing source pointer that we have never seen of the green pointer with the CDI?
We will update all units to version 4.2.
Look forward to your clarification of the above.
Henrik

Henrik

I have now upgraded to v4.2
I can now see the bearing source info on both the D10a and the D100.
But the reaction to the BRG SRC button is variable.
sometime the block lights up and the source can be adjuste, and at other times it just flashes.
Only once has the yellow pointer come onto the main screen.
Any other ideas?
Henrik

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

Make sure you actually have a source that provides a bearing. You need to have an active waypoint on your GPS, and the GPS needs to be locked on to the satellites, or you need to have an active VOR tuned in with a strong signal.

Henrik

Finally flown the 4.2 software version.
We can now get the BRG SRC to pick up when a GPS track is in use, however we can not get the BRG SRC to show the VOR selected on the same Garmin 430....? When thr BRG SRC button is pushed it will not now release the GPS track nor pick up the VOR....
We still have the "jitters" previously described, but I understand that this will be addressed by you version 5 software release.
Do you have any further help you can provide?
Henrik