D180 backup battery problems

melkel2000

I have a D180 in my project that I've had in the panel getting close to a year but it hasn't flown yet since the plane's not completed yet. Everything seemed to work fine with the unit on ships power vs. back up battery until....

Recently, I pulled out the Odyssey battery from the airplane and relied on the back up battery in the unit to test the funtion of each sensor I put on the engine. I'd hook up for instance an EGT sensor, turn on the Dynon, check function, and then turn it off. Evidentally, I eventually ran the back up battery dry.

So, I reinstalled the Odyssey battery to let the stay alive power charge the Dynon. This is what I've seen:

The 1 amp fuse that I have in the stay alive power line would eventually blow, not right away, but over time. I replaced it with another 1 amp fuse and the same thing happened and the back up battery didn't charge.

I replaced the 1 amp fuse with a 3 amp which doesn't blow but the back up battery still won't take a charge.

Once that battery died completly, it has never been able to take a charge. Any ideas?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
What software version do you have in the D180?

To get a recharge on the battery, it's much better to have the D180 actually turned on than just rely on the KA wire to charge it.

melkel2000

What software version do you have in the D180?

To get a recharge on the battery, it's much better to have the D180 actually turned on than just rely on the KA wire to charge it.

I have the version just prior to the latest one available. I think it is 5.0.