Disconnecting SL-30/GNC-300/GPSx96 for updates

johndavies

This seems a dumb question but the manual says you must be able to disconnect the SL-30 or GPS to do firmware updates - is this as simple as switching off the SL-30 and GPS whilst doing the update or are we looking at a complete physical disconnect? (I am installing a D-100/D-180/HS-34 setup with the serial update through a rotary switch and thinking of doing the optional parallel serial connections in case of HS-34 failure) I really do not want three more switches to physically disconnect the connected NAV equipment if I can just turn them off. Thanks, John

PhantomPholly

Yes, just turn the other devices off.

You also have to turn the EFIS off in order to perform upgrades to the HS34 firmware.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The reason we suggest the hard disconnect is that some devices, even when seemingly powered off (when power is still coming in to them), may actually be in a low power state and have the potential to interfere with PC-EFIS communications. I think this grew out of some issues customers had a while back, but it's been a while. Your mileage may vary.

sgfreeman

John,
Do you by chance have all the settings written down for the SL-30 and GNC-300 and how you get into the menus to enter them in each instrument? I have a D-180, D-100, HS-34, and AP-74 plus the above two instruments and a GTX-327 transponder. I am trying to figure out all the settings to get them to work with each other. Sounds like we are close in config...can you help?

Thanks, Scott Freeman

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Sorry - we don't have that information compiled, though you can find installation manuals for most of the Garmin stuff on the internet, and we have some configuration settings, guidance, and other data here and here.

PhantomPholly

If someone DOES figure out compatible settings, please update the Wiki for those who follow behind in your footsteps!

MauiLvrs

I'll post our 300XL settings when I get it configured.
Still have a few more wires....