Displaying Speed of Targets on Map

Lanshark

My foreflight iPad shows the speed of targets when you tap on the airplane on the map. A friend of mine has Garmin in his RV-10. Garmin does the same thing. It's really useful when coming into a busy traffic pattern to be able to match speeds to work into the pattern.

Will Dynon support this feature on their map? I submitted a ticket with support asking about this. They said they would like management know about it.

What is the proper way to request a "feature" add? I would think this request would be a great feature and easy to add.

Lee_Kitson

I would love to have that on my HDX. When I see converging traffic on my HDX screen I usually then look at my iPad to get the target's speed so I can decide the best course of action to avoid it.

swatson999

You know that the arrow on the traffic is variable, depending on speed, and shows the projected position of the aircraft in 1 minute, right?

RV8JD

I’m a fan of Garmin's TargetTrend feature. Although I have a SkyView Touch with ADS-B IN, I also have a Garmin GDL 50 ADS-B IN receiver feeding a Garmin Aera 660 (and ForeFlight on an iPad mini 6). I usually fly with the Traffic Page up on the Aera 660.

If Dynon makes a change, it should be similar to TargetTrend, since SkyView's target's vector arrow just points in the target's direction of travel (i.e., ground track).

The Garmin algorithm takes your airplane’s ground speed and track, and the target’s ground speed and track, and does the vector math to calculate the resultant Target Trend vector. The Target Trend vector shows where the target will be in the future with respect to your airplane. If the "Target Trend” line is aimed at your airplane, the target is a possible threat depending on its altitude.

Here is an example of why I like Garmin’s TargetTrend vector for collision avoidance. A couple of years ago I flew down to see the Mosier Creek Fire between Hood River and The Dalles. I was flying southbound at 9,500’ just to the east of Seattle's Class B. On the Aera 660’s traffic page I noted a Horizon Dash 8 (that had taken off to the north from SeaTac) climbing out to the east headed in my direction and climbing.

The TargetTrend vector showed that he would pass about a mile or so behind me. And since he was climbing, I judged he would be near my altitude at about that time. I decided not to take any action and just watch his progress toward me, which was pretty fast (about a 305 KT closure rate). He also didn’t appear to change direction. I saw him visually when he was about 3 or 4 miles to the west of me due to his landing lights being on. I did rock my wings when he got closer. Who knows if he saw it.

Without the TargetTrend vector I would have been in the dark regarding whether he was a real threat or not, based on his track over the ground (the way his triangle symbol was pointed).

Below are sequential screenshots of that Dash 8 (QXE2407) encounter from the Aera 660’s Traffic Page. Note that the end of the target trend line represents where the Dash 8 (QXE2407) will be in relation to my airplane in 60 seconds. The Target Trend vector was accurate in predicting where the Dash 8 would pass behind me.

i-8z8PwMT-L.jpg
i-cq2KgT6-L.jpg

i-mBKpj58-L.jpg
i-Tvj7S9k-L.jpg

It really comes in handy when there are multiple targets around. One can quickly determine which ones may be threats.

Here is a Garmin's info on the subject: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/aviation/garmin-ads-b-targettrend/

Lee_Kitson

You know that the arrow on the traffic is variable, depending on speed, and shows the projected position of the aircraft in 1 minute, right?
I understand that but I still like to know if I'm dealing with an aircraft that has similar speeds as mine or if I can easily out run it

Lanshark

Yes, I know about the arrow but it's nice when you are following another plane into an airport that you can quickly match their speed.

-Bob

I frequently tap on a traffic icon, then remember that Skyview doesn't do that.
So I pick up the iPad, open FlyQ, tap on the traffic and see all the information.
That info was passed on from the Dynon via WiFi, so I know it's in there.
Would like to be able to display additional info about traffic targets on the Dynon Skyview screen..