Dynon and Advanced Oshkosh 2016 News

ronE

Many have asked for the extra Serial connections in the past. Unless there is a separate box that allows more than the 5 that are there today it would take a change in the software and harnesses wires to allow more Serial connections. Unless v15 is developed to use currently unused wires from the harness I would'nt count on it.

As there are currently 6 unused pins on the D36 connector it would be nice to have a couple of more serial connections as I already have all 5 serial connection used and one has the RX and TX going to two different units, a 796 and 406 ELT.

They could also add another 9 or 15 pin connector for future items. ;)

planecurious

Interested in avionics
There are relatively few people that have demonstrated an actual need for more than 5 serial ports, thus Dynon's apparent lack of interest in answering this infrequent request.

It's actually a 37-pin connector.

In your case, if the 796 and the ELT communicate at the same speed, for example, 9600, then they can be combined onto the same SkyView serial port (set to that common speed), freeing up one serial port for an additional device. Typically the data rate of devices such as GPS' and ELTs can be selected for either 4800 or 9600 - change one or the other so they both use the same data rate.

Set the 796 as the RX device, and the ELT (generic GPS data) as the TX device.

ronE

Here is my current serial port useage which I don't think would be that uncommon:

1. Dynon transponder
2. Dynon ADSB
3. VPX-Pro
4  796 (rx) and 406 ELT (tx)
5. Dynon GPS

I have used the Dynon radio but if I wanted to add a second radio such as a SL30 or GNT650, for IFR, there is no more serial ports. I know there are options such as putting the 650 in place of the 796 and who knows what in the future will bring. 

I know this is getting to be thread drift so I'll end it here and await Dynon's answer to my original question, and yes it is a D37 connection sorry for the typo.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
A GTN650 or other IFR navigator doesn't use any serial ports. All connections are to the ARINC module.

kurtfly

I love flying!
Dynon,

I see with the HDX with version 15.0 the engine gauges can be displayed on the bottom, full width. Is this an option on the non-HDX models? ie. 10" touch.

Thanks,

Raymo

I love aviation!
Dynon,

I see with the HDX with version 15.0 the engine gauges can be displayed on the bottom, full width.  Is this an option on the non-HDX models? ie. 10" touch.

Thanks,

This has been asked previously and they haven't yet answered it. I suspect it will be available on the legacy Skyview screens since it would be an odd setup to have two ten inch screens, one old, one new, and have two very different display layouts.

I currently have one Skyview Touch and plan to purchase another later this year before first flight. If the screen layout were not the same, it would be a very, very long time before I considered moving to dual HDX screens. However, if they could match, I would consider going to one HDX and one legacy screen.

mrdaud

Would like to see more on Dynon's thoughts about trade-ins for the HDX like they did for the touch screens. I am assuming Dynon has already thought about this to some degree, and would like to hear what they are thinking, with the understanding they would not yet have firm pricing or timing available.

planecurious

Interested in avionics
As another commented, Dynon DID answer this question and the answer is that the "EMS band" feature will be exclusive to SkyView HDX.

However, it's possible that for situations like yours, where you want to mix SkyView Classic and SkyView HDX, there's likely to be a "classic layout" mode on SkyView HDX so a SkyView Classic display, side by side with a SkyView HDX display won't look so radically different.

Given the capabilities stated for HDX, it's likely based on a much more capable (computer) hardware behind the scenes, so you'll be able to do more (software capabilities) with the HDX vs SkyView classic. For example, selectable fonts is very compute / graphics intensive, and it's "Job 1" for SkyView to be responsive in real time, not having it lag, even for a few milliseconds, for re-rendering graphics or fonts.

It's impressive that Dynon will offer a 7" SkyView HDX - previously they wouldn't / couldn't add Touch features to the SkyView (classic) 7" display.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Good point, PlaneCurious. Though I will wait on the sidelines in hopes of the new layout on the old hardware. If it doesn't happen by the time I am ready to purchase, it will save me some cash :)

cbennet12

However, it's possible that for situations like yours, where you want to mix SkyView Classic and SkyView HDX, there's likely to be a "classic layout" mode on SkyView HDX so a SkyView Classic display, side by side with a SkyView HDX display won't look so radically different.

I had the opportunity to play with the unit at Osh and as long as the feature remains in the final version of 15, you can disable the EMS on the bottom band.

Given the capabilities stated for HDX, it's likely based on a much more capable (computer) hardware behind the scenes,

Same hardware as the current Skyview according to Dynon.  They did a processor upgrade at some point in the production run that the rest of the system does not currently need.  The HDX and v15 will take advantage of that extra hardware headroom.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I haven't bought the $500 mapping data license yet for my classic. Will I still have to?

The price reduction is for new display sales as of 7/25, though we'll have a deal for customers that previously bought a system that haven't yet bought the map. We'll have that finalized shortly. When did you buy your system out of curiosity?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I am disappointed . . . that Dynon did not release a function, so SKYVIEW ADS-B-In traffic and weather data, can be connected (via WI-FI or Bluetooth) to tablet devices, such as iPad.

Over the past several months, it was my understanding, that it was on the way.
Still planned. And please, know that nothing is real until it's shipped. We try to give our best indications of what we have in the pipeline without making promises, but order and timing are always subject to change.
Thank you Dynon.
That news and prompt response does not disappoint me.
I shall keep waiting. I do hope it is released in time to capture the FAA $500 ADS-B rebate. I don't think I am alone with this interest.

Note that the rebate has nothing to do with the ADS-B In (IE traffic and weather in your cockpit via the SV-ADSB-470. It only has everything to do with the ADS-B Out device(s) - in this case the SV-XPNDR-261 and the SV-GPS-2020.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Dynon,

I see with the HDX with version 15.0 the engine gauges can be displayed on the bottom, full width.  Is this an option on the non-HDX models? ie. 10" touch.

Thanks,

This has been asked previously and they haven't yet answered it. I suspect it will be available on the legacy Skyview screens since it would be an odd setup to have two ten inch screens, one old, one new, and have two very different display layouts.

I currently have one Skyview Touch and plan to purchase another later this year before first flight. If the screen layout were not the same, it would be a very, very long time before I considered moving to dual HDX screens. However, if they could match, I would consider going to one HDX and one legacy screen.

Because of the switch away from the joystick knobs and other technical things that are common between SkyView Classic (ie non-touch) and SkyView Touch, but that are different from SkyView HDX, the user interface changes aren't currently slated to come to the existing systems.

sunfish

I love flying!
I haven't bought the $500 mapping data license yet for my classic. Will I still have to?

The price reduction is for new display sales as of 7/25, though we'll have a deal for customers that previously bought a system that haven't yet bought the map. We'll have that finalized shortly. When did you buy your system out of curiosity?

Bought from Horsham Aviation, your Australian distributor.

funflying

A Wow! from me too!
I like all these updates in the software.
Last week I flew to Oshkosh and back and my Skyview functioned flawlessly. I appreciated all the functionality I have and to see more coming is impressive.

I did invest in a back-up with I Fly GPS for my Iphone or Ipad and their rep said they were in contact with Dynon to link their system to Dynon via WiFi like Foreflight does now. Looking forward to see what progress is made in this area. ::)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member

Update here - we've chopped the map price for for customers that bought earlier than the price drop to $200.