Dynon and Avidyne IFD

m154t

Thanks Kurt. You're probably right; I'll just have to live with the status quo. Doesn't mean I can't ask for improvements, though.

If I understand your statement about connecting Avidyne to the Skyview network, that would mean that everything can then be done while the iPad is logged onto the Dynon wifi. You mentioned that flight plans can then be transferred to the IFD from Foreflight. Will the IFD100 work as well? The IFD100 app is the main reason that I normally stay logged into the Avidyne wifi. That IFD440 screen really is a little small.

Thanks

kurtfly

I love flying!
Yes. Set your IFD as a remote to the Skyview network. See IFD instructions on connecting as remote device to Stratus. Follow this except substitute Skyview for Stratus. Once you connect you will get messages on IFD to authorize the IP address trying to connect. Connect your IPad to Skyview and your all set. Will probably get another IFD message to allow another IP address connection from IPAD. Set to allow ALWAYS. Yyou can have Foreflight and / or IFD100 app running. You can have split screen if you want to have both. I haven’t used the IFD 100 app much. Only a couple times. But it works on the Skyview network.

Kurt

mrbizi

I’ve tried this but never was able to use SkyView network, with IFD and iPad attached be able to view weather and traffic on iPad and ifd both. I now have Stratux and have iPad and ifd connected to stratux network and I get WX and traffic on IFDs and iPad. It’s just not from the SkyView network. The SkyView has its own adsb WX and traffic. Kinda interesting to have all screens show traffic. I have them each to different zoom levels.

mrbizi

If you can see the traffic on your moving map on the Dynon, why is it important to see it on the 440? I suppose it would be nice if every manufacturers products communicated with everyone else’s, but I doubt that will ever happen. Garmin in particular goes out of their way to make sure that does not happen.
Sometimes I have traffic in 5-10mile ring around me in the IFD but then on SV I have weather and charts etc. I also have traffic on SV. The issue is when I’m looking something up on the SV, I can’t see the traffic on it. Having redundancy on IFD then helps me as I can pull up Comms, airport diagrams, transponder, AP, etc on SV and then still keep eye on traffic while I adjust things on Comms or something.

m154t

I was finally able to get the IFD440 to connect to the Skyview Wi-Fi. After many failures to connect, I turned off Capstone on the IFD440. On the next attempt the connection was successful. Be aware that after this is done, the Avidyne Wi-Fi SSID will disappear from the list of available Wi-Fi's on your iPad the next time you try to log in. I contacted Avidyne about that and it's normal.

Now, if I could just get flight plans to upload from Foreflight. That would be even better than entering them on the IFD100. Ideally they would upload to the IFD440, but I'd settle for sending flight plans up to Skyview as a backup. Foreflight just says "error 6" when I try to upload a flight plan to the panel. I think someone posted that they were able to do this previously.

kurtfly

I love flying!
Foreflight will automatically prompt you if you want to upload flight plan to the IFD if you are at an airport and connected. If you choose to upload it will go into the IFD flight plan list. Not the active plan.
Make sure you have IFD at version 10.3.1.

Kurt

chriscalandro

I was finally able to get the IFD440 to connect to the Skyview Wi-Fi. After many failures to connect, I turned off Capstone on the IFD440. On the next attempt the connection was successful. Be aware that after this is done, the Avidyne Wi-Fi SSID will disappear from the list of available Wi-Fi's on your iPad the next time you try to log in. I contacted Avidyne about that and it's normal.

Now, if I could just get flight plans to upload from Foreflight. That would be even better than entering them on the IFD100. Ideally they would upload to the IFD440, but I'd settle for sending flight plans up to Skyview as a backup. Foreflight just says "error 6" when I try to upload a flight plan to the panel. I think someone posted that they were able to do this previously.
Even though it connects ADSB data doesn’t transfer as the ifd doesnt accept any of the extended protocols.

This is a them problem I’ve discussed with them. The sentry is not compatible format either. It’s lame.

Also their auto flight plan update does not work with ForeFlight.

Avidyne has a lot of work to do to catch up as well.

m154t

Finally got Foreflight to upload flight plans to the IFD440 through the Skyview Wi-Fi, with some help from Phil at P-Factor. The key was to go into the Skyview Menu -> Map setup -> Flight Plan options -> Allow incoming flight plans. There you will find field labelled "over wifi" which defaults to yes. Change it to no. Seems counterintuitive, but that's what it took. Over on the Avidyne side, your iPad may show up a a new device; make sure to allow it to connect "always."

If you have a VPN on your iPad, make sure it's turned off. Some people have reported that they had to delete their VPN app. Also, don't start Foreflight until all of the avionics is finished booting and the Skyview Wi-Fi is running.

Now, when you tap on FPL in Foreflight there will be a little antenna icon at the bottom of the drop down box. Tap on that and it will bring up a menu that will allow an upload of the current Foreflight flight plan to the panel, which goes to the IFD440 in our setup.

To recap some info from previous posts, for the benefit of those just joining, I have two Dynon Certified Skyview HD panels, with Dynon ADS-B out/in, and an IFD440. After turning off Capstone on the IFD440 I was able to add the Skyview network on the IFD and get it to connect, after which the Avidyne Wi-Fi goes away, but you can connect to the Skyview Wi-Fi and the IFD100 app will work as though you were logged into the Avidyne Wi-Fi.

Now I can do flight planning on Foreflight and send it to the IFD440. The IFD100 app works for tuning radios and making on-the-fly changes to the flight plan. I get ADS-B In traffic and weather in both the Skyview displays and in Foreflight.

For me, it's fine that I don't see traffic on the IFD440 or IFD100 map displays. The IFD440 display is too small and would just be more cluttered, and I keep Foreflight up on the iPad, only switching to the IFD100 when it's needed, then back to Foreflight.

I hope this information is helpful to others.

Lee_Kitson

Finally got Foreflight to upload flight plans to the IFD440 through the Skyview Wi-Fi, with some help from Phil at P-Factor. The key was to go into the Skyview Menu -> Map setup -> Flight Plan options -> Allow incoming flight plans. There you will find field labelled "over wifi" which defaults to yes. Change it to no. Seems counterintuitive, but that's what it took. Over on the Avidyne side, your iPad may show up a a new device; make sure to allow it to connect "always."

If you have a VPN on your iPad, make sure it's turned off. Some people have reported that they had to delete their VPN app. Also, don't start Foreflight until all of the avionics is finished booting and the Skyview Wi-Fi is running.

Now, when you tap on FPL in Foreflight there will be a little antenna icon at the bottom of the drop down box. Tap on that and it will bring up a menu that will allow an upload of the current Foreflight flight plan to the panel, which goes to the IFD440 in our setup.

To recap some info from previous posts, for the benefit of those just joining, I have two Dynon Certified Skyview HD panels, with Dynon ADS-B out/in, and an IFD440. After turning off Capstone on the IFD440 I was able to add the Skyview network on the IFD and get it to connect, after which the Avidyne Wi-Fi goes away, but you can connect to the Skyview Wi-Fi and the IFD100 app will work as though you were logged into the Avidyne Wi-Fi.

Now I can do flight planning on Foreflight and send it to the IFD440. The IFD100 app works for tuning radios and making on-the-fly changes to the flight plan. I get ADS-B In traffic and weather in both the Skyview displays and in Foreflight.

For me, it's fine that I don't see traffic on the IFD440 or IFD100 map displays. The IFD440 display is too small and would just be more cluttered, and I keep Foreflight up on the iPad, only switching to the IFD100 when it's needed, then back to Foreflight.

I hope this information is helpful to others.
Are you also able to upload flight plans from Foreflight to the Skyview?

This thread popped up when looking to see if the Dynon could control the avidyne radios.

Got to thinking recently if Dynon ever got the autopilot for the pa32, I'd like to put in an ifd 550 to go a long with the ifd440 for redundancy and the larger form factor. BUT....I don't want to lose the apt-comm function that comes with having the Dynon radio.

m154t

Are you also able to upload flight plans from Foreflight to the Skyview?
I have not tried to send a flight plan from Foreflight on an iPad to the Dynon Skyview HD. I believe other have reported doing that using options under Foreflight -> More -> Devices.

kurtfly

I love flying!
Yes you can send a flight plan to Skyview. But recent updates to Foreflight will default to the IFD, if installed and on same network. I am sure you can force it to Skyview by settings. I only use the IFD for flight plans so only sent to Skyview by accident.

kurt

cbailey

This thread popped up when looking to see if the Dynon could control the avidyne radios.

Got to thinking recently if Dynon ever got the autopilot for the pa32, I'd like to put in an ifd 550 to go a long with the ifd440 for redundancy and the larger form factor. BUT....I don't want to lose the apt-comm function that comes with having the Dynon radio.
Yes you can, but I am not 100% sure on certified. With 10.3.1.2 IFD Software you can connect the unit via serial and setup for SL30 protocols.

Brent Dana

I’ve tried this but never was able to use SkyView network, with IFD and iPad attached be able to view weather and traffic on iPad and ifd both. I now have Stratux and have iPad and ifd connected to stratux network and I get WX and traffic on IFDs and iPad. It’s just not from the SkyView network. The SkyView has its own adsb WX and traffic. Kinda interesting to have all screens show traffic. I have them each to different zoom levels.
Well, of course you can. You can set the iPad up to send it anywhere you want Skyview, the IFD wherever and then pick which ones you want to use. I do it every day is the simplest thing you can possibly do on that system

mrbizi

Yes you can, but I am not 100% sure on certified. With 10.3.1.2 IFD Software you can connect the unit via serial and setup for SL30 protocols.
I have both 540 and 440 and they are linked for flight plan sharing, etc. I have the 440 radio and nav frequencies so that I can input either on 440 or via the HDX screens and they will control the 440. you can set the HDX to control one nav/com only so keep that in mind. So I use the big HDX screen to control the littler 440 screen which works for me. I then do the flight approaches, etc. on the IFD540 and mainly use 440 for comms as I'm mainly flying GPS approaches and potentially ILS but then the IFD540 having it all setup and sequenced is best for me. I don't have the Dynon Comm control panel installed so I don't know if it would allow me to select the freq on that panel and then have it control the 440 but I don't really see the need as the HDX screen is larger and if I wanted to direct control the radio, I would just use the 440 controls as they offer different capabilities as well.