Dynon AP vs TruTrak

vikino

Hello,
in my CTSW plane is EFIS-D100 installed, i want to upgrade it to autopilot, i can buy much cheaper brand new SV32 servos and AP panel, but i found that many people is using D100 or also newer SkyView devices with 3rd party autopilots like TruTrak.

Why that? Do they perform better? Can offer more functions over Dynon does? Or is it about price od servos and so on?

Thank you, Vitek

Raymo

I love aviation!
Folks using the TT AP are likely doing so in type certified aircraft for which the Dynon AP is not yet approved. If you can use the Dynon system, do so.

vikino

Ok, will do it on Dynon, i just think about it if TT does offer some benefits against AP directly from EFIS...

jakej

Some like to have the autopilot system independent from the EFIS too, depends on what you are comfortable with.
Others don't like full integration, if you fly VFR it doesn't matter much however IFR is a different ballgame especially if using a single screen.
Bob Nuckolls said something like ' the autopilot could be considered the primary instrument' as it can hold altitude & level better for longer if the instruments fail.
There will be & are differing opinions, it's your decision.
Btw - there has been all sorts of 'talk' on various forums now that Bendix King have bought TT - I suggest doing some further research.

DBRV10

That is not "Talk" that is FACT. Sucks if you are a TT customer or thinking of being one. Several folk up here have been installing them in their steam gauge Savannahs and the service etc has been awful. Manuals awful.....I best stop there. I only discovered this as I have been asked to solve their dramas.

Go the integrated AP. :)

vikino

Thanks, to all here, im flying my CTSW only VFR day, anything else is not approved here in Czech with LSA. My father loves flying and he is 72 years, so i want to travel with him as much as we can around Europe, and i want the AP to be able to rest a bit or if flying thru any airspaces and need to have a look in map. So it definitelly make no sense to have dedicated AP, same as i think that EFIS "knows" more than device on RS232, i was just thinking about if it can fly smoother and so on...but...
i have ordered AP74 panel and two SV32, i like on it that with avionics upgrade to skyview servos are the same, and Dynon has better DSAB network, more robust over Garmins two wires CAN...i've seen servo failure and the rest behind servo,like magnetometers have failed and disconnected. So i will do definitelly Dynon way.

vikino

You are very astute to note the Garmin CAN defficiency.......The one reason i would not have it.
I like Garmin features, but as IT geek and avionics installer i dont want single not backed up CAN in my plane :)

Raymo

I love aviation!
Garmin autopilots support an optional serial connection as a backup to the CAN buss. That said, I'm not a fan of it either.

DBRV10

Garmin autopilots support an optional serial connection as a backup to the CAN buss. That said, I'm not a fan of it either.

I am not so sure that is correct. I have installed these things (sadly) and I do know for certain that on the G3X installations I have experience with the CANBUS network falls over with one failed device or node and the AP goes away.

Here are the drawings, and the only model that has any RS232 connection is the GMC305, and that is purely for ROLL SERVO identification, which is another weird thing. Dynon is much better here too. The GMC507 does not have it but you use a loopback to ID the servo.

If I am wrong please let me know.

Dynon like everyone cannot be perfect all the time, but when it comes to charting, PFD clarity, Engine monitor customisation and performance (This is a biggie in my opinion), the CANBUS, not to mention expense and warranty behaviour and costs, Dynon kills them. Otherwise Garmin make nice gear. I do have about $20-25K of it in my plane, but that is the radio/GPS stack.

1606805972801.png

1606806054249.png

vikino

Yes, Garmin radio works fine, i had SL30 COM/NAV but due to EU stupidity all had to be changed to 8.33khz so i took Trig TY96, because of stereo audio IN/OUT and does great job what audio panel does...but without NAV for my Dynon :-/