Dynon Checklist Editor

Hi guys.
I've created a web app specifically for Skyview users, making it easy to edit, change, or create checklists. This app can handle various tasks with your lists and automatically fixes numbering and other issues when you're working on an existing checklist. At the bottom of the page, you can see a preview of your checklist in both raw text and how it will look in a Skyview-equipped airplane. When you're finished, you can save your checklist to a USB drive and then transfer it to your airplane.

I've spent a lot of time manually editing my own checklists for my aircraft, and many times, it didn't work smoothly because of small coding errors. I really wish I had this tool before; it would have made the whole process much faster and easier.
☺️

Dynon_Checklist.jpg

Last edited:

andresmith76

I love flying!
I appreciate your efforts in creating this editor! Is there a way to keep the 3 windows in sync when scrolling any one of them?

Have you determined the maximum checklist file size the Skyview can accommodate?

Thanks!
I will investigate the scrolling possibility.
I haven't determined the maximum number of lines per checklist if such a limit exists (mine is very long).

andresmith76

I love flying!
Thanks again for your work on this. When 1st creating my checklist, I found the file size limit was around 50KB. Anything larger and it wouldn't load. That was a few years ago and I was wondering if Dynon has since expanded this limit?

soarhead

Thanks for putting in the effort! I tried it out, imported my existing checklist, made a few changes and it worked perfectly but I couldn't save the file afterwards. I clicked the save checklist button but nothing happens. Did I miss a step? Cheers.

I clicked the save checklist button but nothing happens.
Hi. I have double-checked the script but everything seems to work as expected. The script uses the File System Access API to open a file save dialog. Let's try a few troubleshooting steps to resolve the problem:

1. Check for Browser Prompts:
When you click the "Save Checklist" button, your browser may prompt you to choose a location for saving the file. Please check if there is any dialog box or pop-up that might be hidden or blocked. Also, ensure that your browser allows pop-ups from our website.

2. Verify Browser Compatibility:
Ensure that you are using a modern and up-to-date web browser. The File System Access API used for saving files may not be supported in older browsers. If possible, try using a different browser to see if the issue persists.

3. Inspect Browser Console:
Open your browser's developer tools and check the console for any error messages. To do this:
- Right-click on the page.
- Select "Inspect" or "Inspect Element."
- Navigate to the "Console" tab.
Look for any error messages that might provide insights into what's going wrong.

4. Temporarily Disable Browser Extensions:
Browser extensions or add-ons might interfere with the functionality. Try disabling them temporarily and see if the "Save Checklist" button works.

5. Clear Browser Cache:
Clear your browser's cache to ensure that there are no cached elements causing issues. This can be done through your browser settings.

6. Try a Different Browser:
If you have an alternative browser installed (e.g., Chrome, Firefox, Safari), try using it to see if the problem persists.

If the issue persists, please provide any specific error messages you encounter and details about your browser and operating system. This information will help me further investigate and assist you more effectively. I am testing the script on Chrome 119.0.6045 as well as on Edge.

soarhead

Stanislaw.

Thanks for the list of possible fixes. Being web based, Mac or PC shouldn't matter right? I tried your suggestions and three different browsers but still can't save. I'm using a Mac.

Ok, here are the implemented changes:

Initially, the Dynon Checklist Editor used the File System Access API for saving files, allowing users to choose the file's location and name. However, this method had compatibility issues on some macOS browsers indeed.

I have updated the editor with a hybrid saving approach. It first tries the original method for better user control. If that fails (due to browser limitations), it automatically switches to a simpler method that saves the file as "checklist.txt" to your default download folder, ensuring consistent performance across all platforms, including macOS.

I do not have a Mac to test that, unfortunately, so I would very much appreciate it if you could test the saving functionality now.

Last edited:

dakdriver

I love flying!
Hi Stanislaw.
I have been having trouble downloading the Dynon checklist to my PC for some reason it corrupts the macros.
Is it possible to obtain your system to see f i can get the checklist to work

Regards

Bruce

dakdriver

I love flying!
Hi Stanislaw
I have downloaded the program direct from the Dynon site to my PC.
When I open it the macros are corrupted.

I have done this serveral times but the result is the same.
I tried to download it to a USB stick same result.

So I tried downloading it onto my laptop same result macros are corrupt
I am looking into the settings on my PC now will let you know if i find anything

Thanks

Bruce

dakdriver

I love flying!
Further to my issues I have changed a setting in my PC to accept all macros.
This made no difference the message

"the application VBA macros in the workbook are corrupted and have been deleted it directs you to open a backup file."

As i have no backup file i am unable to do this

preid

Great app for creating the checklist, I had a problem with saving however. Everytime I saved the checklist it adds a space that doesn’t show any “item” lines on the bottom right preview screen. I went into .txt and removed spaces that made the item lines viewable again, but if I try saving that same checklist using the app it removes the lines from view Again.
thankfully I have mine completed but wonder why it saved it that way using windows 10 edge browser?

Everytime I saved the checklist it adds a space that doesn’t show any “item” lines on the bottom right preview screen.
Hi preid.
There was an error with handling a text copied into the Value field. I believe I have fixed that. Please have a look at the app again, it should work fine now. :)

Last edited:

362PC

Really great work @Stanislaw Drzewiecki THANK YOU from all the mac users out there 100%.

A few bugs/ things to look at:
- why no lowercase letters?
- on line items greater than 9 is the tab intentional to align vertical columns? (need to test in plane to visualize) I loaded a checklist that was verified aligned in my plane and the window in bottom right was not aligned correctly

- why no lowercase letters?
Hi! Well, I thought lowercase is harder to read in the cockpit. But there is no problem with removing that limitation. I'll do it.

- on line items greater than 9 is the tab intentional to align vertical columns? (need to test in plane to visualize) I loaded a checklist that was verified aligned in my plane and the window in bottom right was not aligned correctly
The alignment should be correct. The only thing the script does is to remove leading spaces, which are ignored by Skyview. So if you have something like this:

Code:
[Before start]
Master - on
            - verify
Generator - 1 check
                    2 check

...this will be changed to

Code:
[Before start]
Master - on
- verify
Generator - 1 check
2 check

What can be done in such a case is f/e to insert a dot first, f/e:

Code:
[Before start]
Master - on
.          - verify
Generator - 1 check
.                  2 check

Using this method, you can even insert ASCII images into your checklist.

image.png