Dynon Comm Radio

starkw1

I love flying!
Now that Dynon's ADSB is shipping, will Dynon be focusing on getting the Comm radio to market soon?  Any info on when it might be available?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The COM radio is important to us and is an active project, but we do not have any timeframes we can share right now.

jefvervoort

And I still hope that it will fit in a standard 2 1/4" hole, in order to mount it on the panel in the proximity of the SV displays.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The com radio is not round, it is rectangular and about the size of a business card. It was designed to be optimal for new installs, not retrofits, and is designed to match the look of the SkyView displays.

billsettle

Can you tell me if it is going to be a completely panel mounted unit, or will it be partially remote mounted much like the transponder? Also, if I go ahead and use something else, I.E., a Garmin SL 40, will I be giving up any Skyview functionality? Thanks.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There will be a remote unit.

There will be some neat features only available with our radio, but we will integrate with the Sl-40 the best we can as well.

peterk48

I love flying!
The com radio is not round, it is rectangular and about the size of a business card. It was designed to be optimal for new installs, not retrofits, and is designed to match the look of the SkyView displays.

I am in the process of building up my Skyview panel now with virtually everything you offer. Two questions: is the radio face vertical or horizontal? will it tie into the Skyview unit itself? My plan was to just cut a business card rectangle in my panel, cover it and add later. was planning to power it through a VP-X Sport.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
1) Vertical, about the size of a business card. If you stacked two of them alongside a 10" SkyView display, they'd be the same height together.

2) Yes, it will communicate with SkyView.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you cut a hole in your panel the size of a business card, you'll be disappointed, it will be both too tall and too wide. Like all Dynon products, this will "finish" the hole, so we really suggest you wait for the exact dimensions to be released.

pajfcorg

Are we likely to hear more about the Dynon Panel mount radio at Sun-n-Fun? Specifically will we hear about the dimensions of the panel mount module?

Thanks, Phil

preid

I think there will be a few announcements from Dynon at SnF. I just hope they incorporate the SL-40 integration with the new Comm radio firmware when released.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Phil:

Whew - we can finally talk about it.  :) The drawing is now available online.

We will have panel planners for the SV-COM-C25 available at the Dynon Booth at Sun 'N Fun. Come early - we may "sell out".

No, no wiring diagrams available yet - those will come with the revised SkyView System Installation Guide (in progress).

Are we likely to hear more about the Dynon Panel mount radio at Sun-n-Fun? Specifically will we hear about the dimensions of the panel mount module?

Thanks, Phil

bruceh

What are the dimensions of the remote module?
Just wondering whether this will be able to fit behind the panel, or have to go somewhere else.

ggerhardt

With the addition of this Dynon radio, will v6.0 now also push frequencies to other radios with RS-232 connection (i.e. Garmin SL 30/40, ICOM A210)?

Thanks.

Geoff

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, the 6.0 software will both push frequencies to the standby of an SL-30/40 compatible radio, and it will also actually show those frequencies on the top of SkyView and do reverse lookups for you (spin in a frequency, and it will tell you what that is for).

Any time you see a frequency on SkyView there will be a TUNE button that will tune our radio or a compatible radio.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
04/08/13 — COM Transceiver Module Drawing and Dimensions: coming soon (approx 6" x 2.4" x 1.5", excluding mounting tabs)

hufise

Hi Dynon

Your toy is nice, but...

From next year on will a lot of cheap com radios with 25 kHz spacing from Europe.
I hope you disignd the filters for an easy fimware upgrade to 8.33 kHz spacing.
Europe is hugry :)

Daniel

jbeaver

Yes, the 6.0 software will both push frequencies to the standby of an SL-30/40 compatible radio, and it will also actually show those frequencies on the top of SkyView and do reverse lookups for you (spin in a frequency, and it will tell you what that is for).

Any time you see a frequency on SkyView there will be a TUNE button that will tune our radio or a compatible radio.

Any chance this will include the new Garmin GTN series of radios?