Dynon Comm Radio

airguy

Thanks for being up front about the problems, and I certainly appreciate you fixing the problem up front rather than shipping them first and dealing with it later.

tab380

I need my radio to start my panel cutting and have been waiting for 2 months. I'll need to switch to a Garmin if you can't promise delivery by the end July. Any chance of that?:mad:

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I just realized we missed this one. With our design review underway, we don’t currently have an anticipated ship date for the COM radio. We know that it will be more than a few weeks from now, but beyond that, it's hard for us to pin down a specific timeframe with certainty. We do want to stress that this project is receiving maximum priority here at Dynon. So unfortunately, it definitely won't be this month.

southtarnation

I love flying! Wiring, ...not so much.
Poor timing for your comm radio problem, with Garmin rolling out their newest just in time for OSH. You're going to lose some orders over that.

And slighly cheaper.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Status hasn't changed, unfortunately. We've added our current official status to the COM radio product page, by the way.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/SkyView_COM.html

condor

I love flying!
I will need a Radio in 10 weeks.

Understand you are in no position to commit, but should I onvestigate something else (not to keen to do) or is there a realistic possibility of the release?

airguy

Dynon - we are now 12 weeks past original ship date for the radio, and 2 weeks since last (non)update on the status. Is this going to happen or not? I really wanted that radio unit in my panel, but in the absence of any real substantive information about the unit I'm quickly approaching the point where I'm going to have to fish or cut bait. We're all big kids here and we realize the experimental nature of the product - but we also need to have a little more than "We're working on it and we're not going to tell you anything yet." If your engineering review has been going on for 90 days and you still don't have anything to tell us about it - that doesn't speak well of your engineering review or your marketing techniques. Your company has (so far) demonstrated that you are actually pretty darn good at turning out quality products and communicating with your customers - this is an anomalous condition that needs correcting.

The amusement factor has just about completely worn off.

alpinestar

Ditto airguy; well said. I have a very specific and very ugly hole in my panel awaiting this radio. Unimpressed with the duration of this delay and total lack of information.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
It's absolutely happening, and soon. We've made some great progress recently (that we haven't gotten to announcing yet). More to come very shortly. Thanks for your patience - this has been a tough delay for you guys, we know.

tab380

Aircraft Spruce says Sept 3. Is this true or just AS giving dates that come and go till they get more info?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
That date didn't come from us, but we'll have more to say very soon! I think when they have a product in their system that has an unknown TBD release date, they have some arbitrary future date as a placeholder. Occasionally this seems to get miss-communicated as an actual release date. We'll touch base with them about communicating the most accurate information.

condor

I love flying!
Just when I have decided to use my xCom in my new plane to be finalised in Oct, you "confuse" me with this great news.

I will visit the AutoGyro factory on 10 September to finalise all and it will be great if I can order a Dynon Com Radio (obviosly fully functional)

The main attraction is the perfect integration.

Burn some midnight oil and get it in the stores for shipping please

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So here's the official news - it'll be hitting the usual places shortly, but you guys are the first to know...

-----

Just before the anticipated ship date of the SV-COM-C25 radio, final testing discovered an issue that affected our ability to manufacture a product that consistently passed all our stringent tests. Manufacturing yields are an important metric to us, and Dynon is not willing to ship a product that doesn't meet our highest standards. After an in-depth engineering review of the radio, we're thrilled to announce that we've reached a final design configuration and are ready to deliver our vision of what a COM radio should be.

We've just completed a successful pilot production build and are ready to ship the first radios to customers. Initially, as we ramp up the production-level supply chain and manufacturing processes, we'll be shipping in small quantities as products come off the line. This means that it will take some time to clear out the existing backlog of orders. Exact lead times for particular orders are hard to determine right now, as we're parts-limited on some components as we wait for initial quantity supplies to arrive at Dynon. We expect that it may take us a month or more to fully service the orders we already have.

Similarly, we'll resume taking new orders for the SV-COM-C25 immediately, but lead times are likely to be a month or more as of the end of August. Lead times should decrease through September.

This product has undergone a great deal of development testing - perhaps the most of any single Dynon product. Its revolutionary pilot interface and stellar audio quality are things we're incredibly proud of. We know this delay has been disappointing and frustrating for many of you. We thank you for your patience, and thank you for choosing Dynon.

billsettle

I downloaded the latest Skyview installation guide searching for the mounting requirements for the Comm radio but can't seem to find them. I had no trouble finding the information for the other components but can't locate the Comm specs.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Thanks.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
16-1 to 16-5 of http://www.dynonavionics.com/downloads/Install_Guides/SkyView_System_Installation_Guide-Rev_Q_v10.0.pdf has the physical mounting requirements. There are also drawings at http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/support_documentation.html