Dynon Heated AOA/Pitot Probe Replacement Program

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Hi everyone,

With input originally from customers, including here on the forum, Dynon identified an issue with our Heated AOA/Pitot Probe. This year we have been engineering, testing, and tooling a redesigned version of the probe, culminating with a successful final test program at one of the few icing wind tunnels in the country. The redesigned Heated/AOA Pitot Probe is now in production, and we are ready to make replacement probes available to customers with our Heated AOA/Pitot Probe Replacement program.

All of the details of this program are covered in our updated Heated AOA/Pitot Probe Technical Service Bulletin. Note that you’re able to sign-up for a replacement probe via a form linked to in that bulletin. The bulletin also has a set of Frequently Asked Questions  that should cover most of your questions.

We will be launching this program more publicly tomorrow on Friday, October 10, with shipments of replacement probes to start right away. But since a lot of the forum community helped us discover the issue, we wanted to drop the news here directly first. Thanks!

Michael Schofield
Marketing Manager
Dynon Avionics

vlittle

I installed two upgraded heated pitots... One in my Harmon Rocket and one in my RV-9A.  The Rocket install went as expected, but a problem occured on the 9A install.

The pitot controller on my 9A had the wrong sex of connector on the two white (thermistor?) wires.  I had to splice on the connector from the old pitot to make it right.  The fast-ons did't fit either because the shrouds were too large, but that was easy fix.

I was under the impression that the controller was not affected by the SB, but that's clearly not the case in some circumstances.

This begs the question... Is my old controller still capable of working with the new pitot?

Thanks, Vern

jakej

Also note this from the Q & A notes on this link ---

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/support_bulletin_101014.html

Question: Since the Dynon Heated AOA/Pitot Probe system is comprised of the pitot itself and its controller module, don’t I need a replacement for both?
Answer: No. The controller module is unaffected by this service bulletin. Only the heated AOA/Pitot Probe itself is affected by this bulletin..

vlittle

Vern
In a word, yes  ;)
The only thing that changed is the 'head'.

Jake J

Not so... My two controllers have different connectors. The old controller is not plug and play with the new pitot.

Vern

vlittle

I will email you the sn of the offending controller. The compliant one is relatively new and plugged right in.

Just so you know, the offending controller plugged right into the old pitot,so something changed along the way.

Vern

Bruno

Hello Support

I submitted the form last week-end, any idea when I can expect the new Pitot??

Not in any rush, just wondering if you did received the form..

Thanks

Bruno

jakej

I will email you the sn of the offending controller.  The compliant one is relatively new and plugged right in.

Just so you know, the offending controller plugged right into the old pitot,so something changed along the way.

Vern

Hey Vern - I was only answering your question below - obviously the 2 pin connector is a different issue in your case, something that is not beyond your capability to fix ;D ;D
This begs the question... Is my old controller still capable of working with the new pitot?

Thanks, Vern

rfinch

Hello Support
"Note that we expect to have strong demand for this program. Although we love talking to all of our customers, we ask that you not immediately call for status on your exchange request. "

vlittle

The SN for the offending controller unit is 001072, mated to pitot 109
Thanks, Vern

....update.... Flight testing with modified controller and new pitot was fine...

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Hello Support

Not in any rush, just wondering if you did received the form..

Thanks

Bruno

Hi Bruno - I can confirm that we have your submitted form. Right now (it's hard to predict exactly), a rough guess is that you're looking at a couple of weeks from now.

swaneymj

Received my new pitot tube Friday and went to install it today.  The only problem, as was mentioned earlier, it that the 3 main connectors are different than the ones on my older pitot.  So much for plug and play.
:mad:

gerry.vandyk

I'm a little curious how backed up you are with the recall program. I submitted the form back in December and haven't heard back so far.

Gerry

mrdaud

Dynon- I received my new pitot tube, but as mentioned in previous posts, I have different connectors on the new PT that are not compatible with my old controller. Unfortunately, I have already tossed the connectors that I cut off my old PT, so I can't use the old connectors. My controller S/N is 001133.

ploucandco

Hello Dynon, another question, what's the best way to avoid to pay the 21% VAT at import on the 450USD when receiving the new pitot? Is it to send back the old pitot to one of your European dealers like Mendelssohn?

Thanks.

swatson999

Dynon- I received my new pitot tube, but as mentioned in previous posts, I have different connectors on the new PT that are not compatible with my old controller. 

Yes...a real "grrrrrr" moment as I scrambled around to find connectors that would fit in the new pitot's connector shells. I think the most annoying part was that the two styles are *almost* the same.

Oh, well, it's done now, and thanks to Dynon for standing by their products and providing replacements free of charge (other than the time to make the swap)!

(As an aside...what *are* those connectors called, the ones with the plastic shells that include a "bump" on one or both sides, thus preventing them from mating with the normal fully-insulated plastic connectors?)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
For those of you that have the connector issue on the thin white wires only get in touch with our support team at 425-402-0433 or email support at dynonavionics dot com. We'll make up an adapter cable for you. You can also opt to lop off the connectors entirely and join the white wires directly together if you want. They're not polarity sensitive.

swaneymj - It sounds like you're talking about the current-carrying wires. Can you also get in touch with us directly and send us pictures of what yours looks like?

Gerry - We're getting caught up quickly. If you had said you "weren't urgent" in the form you got auto-deprioritized until all the people that told us they'd like one right away get theirs. If you give us a call, though, we can rearrange things and get you yours ASAP.

Jacques - We have to put a value on the invoice, which is actually $250 (because it doesn't include the controller), because the part has commercial value and additionally there's an outstanding liability there that we can't null out until we have your proof of destruction or the other pitot returned. We put a statement on the invoice that it's a warranty replacement and that's USUALLY good enough to avoid the customs fees, but your mileage may vary.

swatson999

These:

1764.jpg

which don't seem to be very "standard" (usually, there's no "double bump" on PIDG style connectors).  The male connectors won't work with the usual PIDG (fully insulated) female connectors (or rather, the other way around, but yet get the idea... :) )

1865.jpg

gerry.vandyk

Gerry - We're getting caught up quickly. If you had said you "weren't urgent" in the form you got auto-deprioritized until all the people that told us they'd like one right away get theirs. If you give us a call, though, we can rearrange things and get you yours ASAP.

Thanks Dynon, no I'm not at all urgent. As long as I'm not forgotten I'm happy enough to wait till you can catch up.