Dynon Skyview in a Cessna 150

themistocles

Greetings from wintry Buenos Aires.

I own a Cessna 150M with a 115 HP Lycoming O235 and long range tanks. This airplane is a trainer at a flight school and, given its performance, it is often used for long trips. Right now, the instrument panel looks like the attached picture. As you can see, it has all steam gauges, a rather modern COM radio (compared to the plane), an outdated NAV/COM radio and a portable GPS (also outdated). The plane is not IFR certified nor I want it to.

I was considering installing a Skyview but, after looking at the specs and reviewing this forum, I have some questions.

I was thinking of installing a 10 inch screen on the left side and the backup D10 on the right of the radio stack. The analog altimeter, speedometer and variometer could also be moved to the right. I might do away with the portable GPS and place the transponder in its place. I was thinking of installing the engine monitoring module as well. One of the main golas is to ditch the vacuum pump, which has been problematic in the past.

I believe this setup would enhance the capabilities of the plane, because it would make long trips easier, bestow almost IFR capabilities (mostly for training, not for actual flying in weather) and pique the interest of the flying community at my airport, where it would be a truly unique airplane. Also, the possibility of displaying the traditional six-pack means that it could be used to train student pilots, if need be. Basically, the goal is to be able to walk up to the plane, upload a flightplan made with ForeFlight to the system and fly in visual conditions or simulated IFR conditions.

Now, regarding cost, I know you might say it's not worth to spend close to 10k on a 25k airplane, but you have to keep in mind that airplane ownership is much more expensive in Argentina, so a Cessna 150 in good condition can cost about 60 to 70k. At that price point, a 10k avionics upgrade does not soud so ridiculous. Also, fuel costs are much higher here, so everybody flies the absolute smallest airplane they can (about 90% of the trainer fleet is Cessna 150s and the rest is Pipistrels or Tecnams). In that context, having an engine monitor that can help with leaning the mixture is most welcome.

However, these are my questions.

1-I understand that the Skyview can provide its own GPS signal and a panel-mounted GPS is not required, at least for VFR flights. Is that right? Would I lose any functionality, other than IFR certification, which I don't want anyway? Would I still be able to load maps of South America, for example? Use elevation charts, etc?

2-Is it possible for the Skyview to interface with the existing NAV radio to display VOR information? Or does it need a specific radio? Or it doesn't do it at all?

3-Would there be a problem if the airplane shell is one model (Cessna 150M) but the engine is not standard (Lycomng O360)? The plane is certificated with the new engine and it can legally be used for training; it's not considered "experimental". But I'm not sure the Skyview system can be set up for that unusual combination. In any case, the plane is functionally identical to a Cessna 152, but legally it is still classified as a Cessna 150M.

Any input on these queries is most welcome.

panel.jpg

Corefile

However, these are my questions.

1-I understand that the Skyview can provide its own GPS signal and a panel-mounted GPS is not required, at least for VFR flights. Is that right? Would I lose any functionality, other than IFR certification, which I don't want anyway? Would I still be able to load maps of South America, for example? Use elevation charts, etc?
That is correct - it has its own GPS and you would not loose any functionality - and it will integrate with an IFR navigator if you want that in the future. You can load Load maps and charts in your Skyview, - depending on what subscriptions you have. Seattle Avionics provides the US VFR and IFR chart data - not sure who would provide it for Argentina.
*found this on dynon site about South America:

Geo-Referenced Charts for South America​

VFR charts in selected countries, including Brazil and French Guyana are available from Airmate. Other countries will be added in the future. Please contact Airmate directly to best understand what exact charts are offered in your area.

Airmate Navigation Database for South America is a yearly subscription covering all of South America. Included with the subscription...
  • VFR charts in selected countries, including Brazil and French Guyana. Other countries will be added in the future.
  • Additionally, the following non-chart digital databases are updated at each AIRAC cycle for the covered South America region. This includes more than 5,000 airfields and heliports, controlled and restricted airspaces, radio beacons, waypoints in Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guyana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Urugay, Venezuela.
To provide chart data in South America, Dynon Avionics has partnered with Airmate. For Airmate Navigation Database for South America subscription information, please visit the Airmate site
2-Is it possible for the Skyview to interface with the existing NAV radio to display VOR information? Or does it need a specific radio? Or it doesn't do it at all?
yes it can display VOR from nav radios

3-Would there be a problem if the airplane shell is one model (Cessna 150M) but the engine is not standard (Lycomng O360)? The plane is certificated with the new engine and it can legally be used for training; it's not considered "experimental". But I'm not sure the Skyview system can be set up for that unusual combination. In any case, the plane is functionally identical to a Cessna 152, but legally it is still classified as a Cessna 150M.
No problem - it’s not that unusually for upgraded engines.
pretty common - you configure the setting based on your plane configuration

Any input on these queries is most welcome.
The skyview can also be your transponder - if you want to save space on your panel, sell your transponder and get the skyview transponder module (mounts behind your panel, and controlled by the skyview)

Last edited:

Raymo

I love aviation!
...and if using the GPS-2020 GPS antenna with the SV-261 transponder, you will have ADS-B out (1090). Add the ADSB-472 for ADS-B in traffic and WX (if available there).

JP JR

I concur with the other your Audio Panel and the SL40 will work great with what you are planning and the nice thing you will be able to control the SL40 for both Nav and Com directly from the Dynon it will make finding frequencies so easy and accurate to find and use you will be very happy with it.

But, Im not sure that a 10inch will fit above the Yoke on ether side. I suggest creating a template the size of both the 7inch and the 10inch and see what comes close. I suspect your going to need to go to a 7. Otherwise you will need to put the 10inch off to the side of the yoke and it’s going to cause you to have to move your entire Radio rack and that will get really expensive.

I would consider maybe putting two 7 inch screens side by side on the left if there is room and you will gain a lot more functionality that you would have with one 10inch screen. And go ahead and get rid of all the old instrument. Your going to combining older Piot static instruments with newer very accurate instrument. Your older instruments will lag behind the new panels a bit and might cause some confusion in new pilots in training. But that’s just my opinion I know many others have gone this route and I don’t here any complaints.

themistocles

Update: I have confirmed that the 10 inch screen does not fit, so I have to settle for a 7 inch screen. I should have measured the panel before, but if I had the power to think before I act, I wouldn't have bought the plane in the first place.

Thank you for your input on this.

JP JR

ya my 1962 182 was a very tight fit for the 10

Attachments

• N9293X Panel 3.jpg
    N9293X Panel 3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 302

Raymo

I love aviation!
and the nice thing you will be able to control the SL40 for both Nav and Com directly from the Dynon
The SL-40 is COM only but you are correct that the standby frequency can be sent from the EFIS. The OP didn't mention which Nav/Com s/he has so I'm not sure it is compatible with the Dynon.

GalinHdz

Before you use any "information" from this forum, verify with the Civil Aviation Authority in Argentina to see what their requirements and limitations are. I highly doubt anybody on this forum can answer, with certainty, what is or isn't allowed by the Argentina Civil Aviation Authority. US rules don't apply in Argentina.

Buena suerte. :cool:
2021 Panel.JPG

Last edited:

themistocles

Before you use any "information" from this forum, verify with the Civil Aviation Authority in Argentina to see what their requirements and limitations are. I highly doubt anybody on this forum can answer, with certainty, what is or isn't allowed by the Argentina Civil Aviation Authority. US rules don't apply in Argentina.

Buena suerte. :cool:
View attachment 4690
The rules are almost identical as those of the FAA and ICAO. I need to have one panel and one backup to be able to remove the vacuum pump. Also I need to keep the altimeter, variometer and speedometer arranged around the EFIS (not on the other side, as I intended originally). The instruments need to be certified, of course. I have talked to a couple of avionics installers and one of them has installed such a system before (he was the one who warned me that the 10" display would not fit).

GalinHdz

The rules are almost identical as those of the FAA and ICAO. I need to have one panel and one backup to be able to remove the vacuum pump. Also I need to keep the altimeter, variometer and speedometer arranged around the EFIS (not on the other side, as I intended originally). The instruments need to be certified, of course. I have talked to a couple of avionics installers and one of them has installed such a system before (he was the one who warned me that the 10" display would not fit).
Great! I recommend you contact DYNON with what you want to accomplish and they will provide the best way to move forward. A lot will depend on what existing equipment you want to keep and how much $$$ you are willing to spend.

As for your question: "Is it possible for the Skyview to interface with the existing NAV radio to display VOR information? Or does it need a specific radio? Or it doesn't do it at all?"

It depends on which NAV radio you have. Most older NAV radio units will require the SkyView ARINC-429 module, while some newer units will not.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. :cool:

2021 Panel.JPG

themistocles

I have one more question (for now).

I am about to install a KX-170B COM/NAV radio on the plane to replace the slightly older radio that you see in the picture above (the idea being to install an ILS indicator). However, the avionics installer says that the KX-170B does not have a 429 output that could be plugged into the Dynon ARINC 429 module.

Is there a workaround for this or should I lay the KX-170B to rest and get a new radio?

I am reluctant to spend even more money right now, because I have just had to overhaul the engine with 500 hours remaining because the engine components just decided they don't get along with each other, so I'm in a financial pinch, but on the other hand I would like to be able to use VOR and ILS with my new avionics.