Dynon Skyview with Avidyne IFD440 - ADS-B setup

hmanvel

Looking for advice on settings in both the Skyview and Avidyne for ADS-B out. I got an FAA report that my NIC, SIL, and SDA have 100% failure rate. I requested a report back in the spring that came back perfect, now something has changed. Anyone else flying with this combination? Can you share some setup screens?

XPRSAV8R

Page 11-20 of SkyView System Installation Guide - Revision AD.

GARMIN ADS-B/ADS-B+: Garmin GNS 400W/500W series (WAAS) or Garmin GTN series, both with appropriate Software updates as designated by Garmin, connected directly to SV-XPNDR-261/262 pin 3, transmitting at 9600 baud in “ADS-B+ OUT” or "ADS-B" format. "ADS-B" format only works with SV-XPNDR261/262 Software 2.02 and above. "ADS-B+" format requires SV-XPNDR-261/262 version 2.06 or later. With 2.06 or later Software the format in use will be autodetected.

Using this setting causes the SV-XPNDR-261/262 to transmit the following ADS-B performance parameters:

SDA: 2 (Level C integrity) SIL: 3 NACp: Sent from GPS to transponder. Refer to GPS documentation. NIC: Sent from GPS to transponder. Refer to GPS documentation. NACv: 1 (10m/s accuracy)

Here's my wiring diagram for reference. I used to have an IFD540 but upgraded to an IFD550. The wiring and settings remain unchanged.

hmanvel

XPRSAV8R Thanks! I have it fixed, just got the FAA report from today's flight, all perfect. To my surprise, the Avidyne RS-232 needs to be set just as your post, to ADS-B+, and the Skyview needs to be set to Garmin ADS-B+, even though there is a menu pick for Avidyne IFD. Mine was all wrong, but set per the recommendation of Avidyne and Dynon over the phone. I gather you fly a Wheeler Express. Nice.

XPRSAV8R

Glad it worked for you!
I initially configured everything per Avidyne's and Dynon's documentation, too. Drove me nuts that I couldn't figure this out. I researched avionics protocols and found that the ADSB+ was fairly common in the industry -- forcing me to update my docs. I guess this makes sense as the IFDs are slide-in replacements for GNSs that are the *gold standard* for IFR navigators.

Correct on the plane.

Last edited: