EGT spade connectors changed?

RandomSquawk

I purchased a 2019 RV-12 with typical Rotax Dynon setup. One EGT is going bad, so I ordered a new one. To my surprise, the spade connectors on the (less than 1 year) old setup have one male and female connector on each cable end, but this replacement has all female connectors on the end. The spade insulator is also a different shape & color. I've double checked the part numbers. They match. Did Dynon change to a different connector setup in the past year or so?

jakej

Dynon has mostly supplied some ‘pink’ insulated ones ( IMO those are a cheap type) I actually throw them away & only use the AMP brand ones. There are other types better suited to thermocouple wires, a search of this site will give you more input.
HTH

RandomSquawk

I snapped a photo of the new and old connectors. Both look like cheap spade connectors; just not compatible. Swapping to a whole different set of connectors is just as likely to cause problems I'm trying to solve. The quick/easy swap to prove it's the TC and not a bad connection elsewhere is no longer quick/easy.

Dynon EGT connector differences.jpeg

Steveden

Just FYI and I don't know about anyone else but a number of us Cub guys have experienced numerous failures of these crimp connectors even though they have been tied and supported. When they do fail I replace them with these, https://iflyei.com/product/olc-2/, and have not had a repeat failure when the problem was the connector.
I now replace all new CHT and EGT probes connector with these from Electronics International and haven't had one connector related failure since.
1595685697555.png

GalinHdz

I replaced my "old" spade connectors with the same ones Steveden did. After 200+ hrs, I have not had any problem with my EGT's. YMMV

1595685697555-png.3984

jakej

Random,
Here’s more on the EGT/CHT connectors, lost count on the numbers however I‘ve done at least 65 installs over various aircraft without changing to any other type of connector, I’ve only changed the manufacturer ( to AMP). Dynon had some time ago changed their probes & wiring from a single conductor to a multi conductor type.
My experience -
Many people say a probe failed when in fact they usually do not, especially at low hours, it’s typically the male/female joint or you have the old single conductor type Which have their own problems. If single conductor then I’d cut off the connector ( you’d do that anyway if changing the connector type ), & fold the wire back on itself 2 times. That ‘fills’ the connector hole better so that the crimping is much more solid than a single very thin wire.
ALWAYS use a double jawed crimper. Also use contact cleaner spray before crimping any connector type as we’re talking millivolts here.
CHT probes - they never fail in normal use unless damaged somehow, never replaced one yet.
EGT probes - I try to position them approx 3” down from the cylinder as evenly as possible.
Use quality aviation style female push on & male spades, if you stay with these types, not the el cheapo variety - you get what you pay for 😉
HTH.
JakeJ

kellym

I love flying!
Random,
Here’s more on the EGT/CHT connectors, lost count on the numbers however I‘ve done at least 65 installs over various aircraft without changing to any other type of connector, I’ve only changed the manufacturer ( to AMP). Dynon had some time ago changed their probes & wiring from a single conductor to a multi conductor type.
My experience -
Many people say a probe failed when in fact they usually do not, especially at low hours, it’s typically the male/female joint or you have the old single conductor type Which have their own problems. If single conductor then I’d cut off the connector ( you’d do that anyway if changing the connector type ), & fold the wire back on itself 2 times. That ‘fills’ the connector hole better so that the crimping is much more solid than a single very thin wire.
ALWAYS use a double jawed crimper. Also use contact cleaner spray before crimping any connector type as we’re talking millivolts here.
CHT probes - they never fail in normal use unless damaged somehow, never replaced one yet.
EGT probes - I try to position them approx 3” down from the cylinder as evenly as possible.
Use quality aviation style female push on & male spades, if you stay with these types, not the el cheapo variety - you get what you pay for 😉
HTH.
JakeJ
Disagree. I've had EI and Dynon probes on aircraft for 20 years, using quality spade connectors, aircraft ratcheting crimper, etc. The spade connectors regardless of brand or source are the source of intermittent and failing readings. There is a very good reason the EI created the barrel overlap connector. It works, and they are rock solid. You can buy directly from EI for $1 per connector in packs of multiples of 5, including the correct allen wrench. Had problems with the Red cube fuel flow being inconsistent, replaced spades with OLC-1 connectors....problem not only went away, the K factor went down noticeably. Replaced all my EGT and CHT connectors with the improved OLC-2 connectors....all issues went away, probes that looked like they were failing were fine. Had to do the above to be able to get consistent GAMI tests and balance injectors. All is good now.
You will note that Dynon now supplies the red cube flow sensor with the OLC connectors.........
Kelly
A&P/IA

Steveden

I have to agree with Kelly, CubCrafters has been keeping records of the failures and they were the ones suggesting the use of the EI connectors. By the way it's not just Dynon probes.

RandomSquawk

Thanks for the info, everyone. I was in a pinch, and didn't want to wait a week for shipping (that also cost 10x as much as the order), so I hacked my own overlap connector for the time being. I took a 10-32 nylon bolt from Lowes, drilled a 1/16 hole just below the head, inserted the bare wires, and tightened a nylon nut onto it. $2 for package of 4. Thirty minutes (mostly driving). Problem solved; at least temporarily. We'll see how long it lasts.
20200728_071212.jpg