EMS and EarthX remote sensor wire

lynnb

I love building!
I"m trying to connect the EarthX remote sensor wire to the Dynon EMS. I ran a wire from pin 10 to the back and as soon as I connect it, the red fault light on the battery comes on, disconnect the light goes out. Is this because I haven't configured pin 10 (Brown/Yellow) yet in the set-up, or is there something else I need to do? I read one user installed an in-line diode, is this needed?

Ok, looks like this might be normal, found this in the earthx docs:
Configure the input as “active low”, “alarm” type. Note; when Dynon power is off the LED inside battery may be dimly lit (less than 120uA, too small to drain the battery).

Thanks,
Lynn

Last edited:

dougnlina

I love flying!
See:

lynnb

I love building!
See:

Thanks, I followed that set-up, was more concerned the glowing light on the battery meant something was wrong, but seems that's just the way it is.

Bardample

I love flying!
I have set up my Earthx battery alarm lead to connect with EMS C37 P9 as recommended by Dynon( for my Skyview Classic). I have configured the settings as per Dynon recommendation with a red light to show if an alarm condition from BMS occurs. Can any one tell me if the red light( on the Skyview screen will emulate the various signals that would occur if I had used the Earthx supplied panel warning light?
Jeff R

Rhino

No, it will not. The fault line from the EarthX battery is a discrete output, meaning it is either on or off, nothing more.

Last edited:

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
No, it will not. The fault line from the EarthX battery is a discrete output, meaning it is either on or off, nothing more.
Are you sure, the different alarm conditions from the EarthX battery are encoded in different flash rates of the lamp/LED,

PaulSS

I love flying!
I think the earlier ones (mine) just has a battery fault on or off but the current (sorry) batteries seem to have various timed flashes to indicate differing faults.

Page 6 and 28 are worth a look. EarthX Manual

Rhino

Are you sure, the different alarm conditions from the EarthX battery are encoded in different flash rates of the lamp/LED,
It can turn the light on and off at different rates, but they aren't the same as what's on the battery. He asked if they were the same. It's also different with different battery series, as I understand it, but I'm not sure about that. He didn't specify which battery he has.

Last edited:

Bardample

I love flying!
It can turn the light on and off at different rates, but they aren't the same as what's on the battery. He asked if they were the same. It's also different with different battery series, as I understand it, but I'm not sure about that. He didn't specify which battery he has.
I have an ETX 680 Earthx battery. The manual has different flash rates for different problems in battery. It is unclear if those same light signal events will be seen on the Dynon Skyview as they would be seen on the supplied Dynon panel warning light. Dynon and Earth x either dont mention this info , or its not easy to find . The Dynon supplied set up recommendation is to have a red light as the warning light .Jeff

Rhino

The 680 manual describes the discrete output indications, but it's not entirely clear if they are the same as those on the battery, because it doesn't specify exactly what the LEDs on the battery do. However, later in the manual, it does say:

"Throughout this document the text LED can be used to refer to either a physical battery fault/status LED or the EFIS alert text."

I would interpret that to mean they flash the same way. So, you should get the same three outputs in both places.
Fast flashing (2 seconds on/ 2 seconds off) is an indication of high temperature.
Slow flashing (5 seconds on/ 5 seconds off) can indicate either an improper state of charge, or a problem with the cells internal to the battery.
Solid indicates a BMS hardware failure.
The LED color choice is up to you. EarthX recommends amber, but you can have chartreuse if you want.

Bardample

I love flying!
The 680 manual describes the discrete output indications, but it's not entirely clear if they are the same as those on the battery, because it doesn't specify exactly what the LEDs on the battery do. However, later in the manual, it does say:

"Throughout this document the text LED can be used to refer to either a physical battery fault/status LED or the EFIS alert text."

I would interpret that to mean they flash the same way. So, you should get the same three outputs in both places.
Fast flashing (2 seconds on/ 2 seconds off) is an indication of high temperature.
Slow flashing (5 seconds on/ 5 seconds off) can indicate either an improper state of charge, or a problem with the cells internal to the battery.
Solid indicates a BMS hardware failure.
The LED color choice is up to you. EarthX recommends amber, but you can have chartreuse if you want.
Thanks Bob, I shall see what happens in the future. I hope I get quite a bit more time out of my present battery before any of those warning flashes occur. Jeff R