Failed fuel calibration

N125YX

Skyview, with Princeton fuel sender. I have one 16 gal tank (Waiex). when I attempted to calibrate the device the table said 3.2 volts on every add cycle, but i elected to use it. I put full when the tank was full, and the calibration failed of course, but now it shows no reading.
* I did see the widget show a reading up and down the scale and then go to zero once.
* Now when I turn on the system the reminder comes up, and it will show 59.5 gal added (no way). If I try to zero out the added it zeros out the 16 in the full column.
* Also I see no fuel flow when the engine is running.
* Sensor hooked to pin 20 (Jab 3300 engine)

Where do I start?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If the voltage isn't moving with fuel addition, the Dynon system literally isn't seeing a change from the sensor. Since it's not reading 0 or 5V, it's likely not a disconnected or grounded wire (ie completely broken wiring). But, essentially, the sensor isn't reporting the fuel change at all, so that gives an invalid calibration result.

Some models of the Princeton probes need to be pre-calibrated so that it registers a voltage change across the fill. Some have a two point cal and some have more. One you've done that, you should then get a voltage that changes as far as SkyView can see it, and that's what the Dynon needs to see to be able to use any sensor as fuel level.

mmarien

Murray M.
Princeton also have a "1S is for computer based displays". It basically has one calibration point. You press the calibration button once when it's empty and it's ready for the Dynon calibration. Otherwise as Dynon says, you'll probably have to calibrate the Princeton unit before it will work for the Dynon calibration. That means calibrating (filling) your tank twice which is a pain. :mad: Well possibly three times for you now which is a double pain.  :mad: :mad:

N125YX

I don't know what file you are referring to. Is the "1S" referenced in the MMarien message a file, and if so how do I get it?
Obviously Confused

N125YX

I think I've found the enemy and he is me. Grounding the bottom of the fuel probe in addition to the black box ground, and then "faking" the calibration, followed by editing the table gave me a reading. It isn't right, but at least it's something. Does anyone have a copy of the voltage readings after calibrating a sonex sky view installation? I expect to wait till I've burned most of the fuel, and then drain and recalibrate, but close readings would give me a better starting point. My fake readings give me ten gallons when I know I'm right at 15.5. Thanks for the help. It was a combo of this forum, and the sonex one that got me the answers.
Mike

mmarien

Murray M.
The Princeton capacitive fuel gauge probe can be ordered with three different set points:

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/inpages/princefuelprobes.php

1S - one set point. basically no calibration required
2S - requires calibration for empty tank and full tank.
5S - requires calibration for five set points (empty, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full)

The calibration for the Princeton capacitive fuel gauge probe is required before the Dynon calibration. Which model of the Princeton fuel probe do you have?