Flickering/Brightness Chaning on Screen

Animosity2k

So today for the first time the left side 10" Dynon Screen has started to flicker a bit. It's no a flicker where I loose the information on the screen but more so the screen seems to get darker, then lighter. I thought at first it may had been an auto adjustment for the dimming based on ambient lighting but I was told the plane does not have such feature nor have I ever seen it do this before. Any ideas? Battery voltage looks fine!

XPRSAV8R

Voltage drops would either turn off the screen if you didn't have a backup battery or it would throw up a "loss power" message if you have backup batteries. Also, if there was a problem with the ambient light sensor, your screen wouldn't flicker. It would begin slowly dim or slowly brighten. Do you have a dimmer? But while a dimmer will adjust lighting faster than the ambient sensor, it's not enough to flicker.

Have you checked the circuit breaker?

Animosity2k

Voltage drops would either turn off the screen if you didn't have a backup battery or it would throw up a "loss power" message if you have backup batteries. Also, if there was a problem with the ambient light sensor, your screen wouldn't flicker. It would begin slowly dim or slowly brighten. Do you have a dimmer? But while a dimmer will adjust lighting faster than the ambient sensor, it's not enough to flicker.

Have you checked the circuit breaker?

Breakers checked, all look good! Screen stay on fine as I did a 4hour XC with it. So you mentioned an Ambient light sensor, is there one? It's doing more as you have mentioned it is slowly dimming a bit, then slowly brightening back up. I never even thought to expect a light sensor as the right side screen I did not notice doing it at all.... Now a dimmer, wouldn't that be a switch I'd need to be changing to get the brightness to change?

Raymo

I love aviation!
There is a photo-cell on the front bezel that detects light and adjusts screen brightness. Also settings in the screen to adjust.

XPRSAV8R

I have 2 x HDX 10". I believe the photo sensor is located middle-top of the bottom bezel where the buttons are located. Anyway, page 3-8 of the installation manual speaks about config settings. As for an external dimmer, it's typically a potentiometer that varies voltage between 0v and 36v (see page 4-33). Pots are typically a round dial like the Dynon dimmer, but I've also seen sliders too. Dimming and brightening could involuntarily happen if voltage isn't measured properly from ground.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yes, all of the displays have an ambient light sensor. It is between buttons 4 and 5 on all displays. The auto-brightness is both tuneable and can be manually adjusted, both the on-screen menu (where there is a quick-adjust), and in the deeper setup menu (where you can play with the lighting curves. Fair warning: this is an advanced user feature)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If you're seeing "flickering" though, and not just dimming, there might be something deeper going on that might be worth talking to our support team about.

Animosity2k

Yes, all of the displays have an ambient light sensor. It is between buttons 4 and 5 on all displays. The auto-brightness is both tuneable and can be manually adjusted, both the on-screen menu (where there is a quick-adjust), and in the deeper setup menu (where you can play with the lighting curves. Fair warning: this is an advanced user feature)

No flickering, just changes in brightness. I will play with the settings tomorrow. Where is the quick-adjust in the menu?

Thanks!

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
On SkyView HDX, it's under DISPLAY > DIM OFFSET. On SkyView Classic/Touch, it's under SCREEN > DIM.