Flight planning

CRW

I love flying!
When I choose a HSI nav source is it possible to have the flight plan source be the same as the HSI source without going to the flight plan map page and entering (choosing)the information?
For example, I have a flight plan entered in a Garmin GNS 430W which is properly configured and wired to the Skyview and I choose the 430 as the HSI source.  I think that I would like for the flight plan map page to automatically use the 430 as the nav source and show the flight plan on the map.  That would eliminate a few key strokes.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I believe this is now an option to auto switch with the latest version (sometime last year) but must be enabled.

CRW

I love flying!
O.K. That is good. I have searched but I am unable to find where one would activate this feature.
Can you point me to the correct menu?
Thanks.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I don't think it is yet in the documentation but the latest release notes (15.3.4) have the following:

Fixed/Changed: HSI FPL SYNC now appropriately considers serial aviation devices. TIE FLIGHT PLAN SRC TO HSI NAV SRC moved from ARINC to MAP SETUP.

W

William_Ince

THE FLIGHT PLAN SRC TO HSI NAV SRC moved from ARINC to MAP SETUP.
Please explain exactly what that accomplishes.
Would that be useful if my sole sources of navigation was just two GPS receivers? Please use an example.
Thank you in advance, for any help given.

swatson999

THE FLIGHT PLAN SRC TO HSI NAV SRC moved from ARINC to MAP SETUP.
Please explain exactly what that accomplishes.
Would that be useful if my sole sources of navigation was just two GPS receivers? Please use an example.
Thank you in advance, for any help given.

Well, for one, that's not a "sole source" of navigation, that's *dual* sources of navigation, but that aside...

With different sources driving the map-displayed flight plan and the HSI indicator, it's very easy to get confused...the map shows one thing, but the HSI is showing something completly unrelated to it.

E.g., I have a 430W that I use for flight plans. If I set the HSI to use that as its source, but the *map* is showing a different (perhaps only somewhat different) flight plan that is created in SV's flight planning, that's a recipe for pilot loss of situational awareness when the two don't match.

airguy

I also find it useful sometimes to use my 430W to drive my HSI (and autopilot) and then decouple the map/HSI lock so that I can use my Skyview map function to plot a course to a different location, or see distance to a location, or other miscellaneous stuff. As noted though, this is a recipe for loss of situational awareness unless you are very much on top of it. In general I keep my map/flightplan coupled to the HSI.

kellym

I love flying!
I don't think it is yet in the documentation but the latest release notes (15.3.4) have the following:

Fixed/Changed: HSI FPL SYNC now appropriately considers serial aviation devices. TIE FLIGHT PLAN SRC TO HSI NAV SRC moved from ARINC to MAP SETUP.

Very good to know. I do all IFR with GTN650 flight plan mode. However, when VFR, if going to a private airport, have to switch to Skyview flightplan, and changing HSI and then going to map to change map fltplan to Skyview as well was a pain.