FllightDEK-D180

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We are still working on the details, but an EFIS connected to a FlightDEK-D180 will be able to show the engine monitoring info from a FlightDEK-D180.

P

Paul Lee(Guest)

I have the D-10 and Rocky Mountain RMI engine Micromonitor. Would be interested in replacing the two with D180. Do you know if I could use the Micromonitor sensors I already have installed or which?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The FlightDEK-D180 will not be able to interface with the Rocky Mountain product, and probably not many of its sensors either. Give us a call at 425-402-0553 if you want to go over your particular configuration.

E

Etienne Phillips(Guest)

On the subject of logging and streaming the sensor data, what refresh rate can one expect from the D180 (or D100 for that matter)? I'm currently working on a system using a gps as the primary source of data, but as the refresh rate is 1Hz, it's nowhere near fast enough for what I need, and I'd like to supliment the data with a D180...

I'd hope to get more than 10Hz from it, and looking at the data stream spec, it indicated that there was a timing sequence with a 1/64sec resolution. Does this mean that there is a 64Hz refresh rate?

I'm not too fussed with internal data logging as I'll be feeding this data straight into a microprocessor.

Thanks
Etienne

P.S. Haven't looked too hard in the forum, but when are the first units going to be shipped, and how do I order one? The online ordering didn't seem to have an option for it...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The output rate is indeed 64Hz.

The first shipping FlightDEK-D180 units are currently at least a month away. To place a pre-order, call us at 425-402-0433 or fill out and fax the downloadable "order form" on our website.

T

Tony Krzyzewski(Guest)

FlightDEK-D180 Connectors

The Flightdek brochure states that the FlightDEK 180 has 1 x DB37 and 2 x DB25 connectors.

Is Dynon going to retain the pinout configuration and connector gender of the D10 EFIS and D10 EMS for the FlightDEK or are you changing the gender on one of the DB25's so thay can't be mixed up?

Tony Krzyzewsk (FlightDEK 180 on order)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
HI Tony,

The FlightDEK-D180 does have the same genders and basically the same pin outs as our current EFIS and EMS systems, though some of the pins are redundant and will not be needed on the FlightDEK-D180 (these differences have yet to be published).

Krzyzewski

Re: FightDEK-D180 Pinouts

l eagerly wait publication of the pinouts.

I would be great if Dynon were able to publish the pinout configuration as soon as it has been finalised, so that those of us who are awaiting our units could prepare our wiring ready for the arrival of the FlightDEK 180.

Tony

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The D180 is D100 and D120 hardware in the same box, which means the pinouts are the same as a D100 and a D120. On top of that, the D100 has the same pinouts as the D10A, and the D120 has the same pinouts as the EMS-D10.

What this means is that you could buy an EFIS-D10A/D100 harness from us, a EMS-D10/D120 harness, wire them up, and it would work.

This will cause some redundant wires, but it won't harm the unit. The two most obvious redundancies are power and DSAB. The power and DSAB connections only need to be made at the EFIS connector (D-25). Power and DSAB connected to the EMS connector will be unused but won't hurt anything. You still need the serial port on the EMS connector as well as the serial port on the EFIS if you want to do any datalogging. You only need the EFIS serial port if all you do is software updates.

Basically, if you really would like to start wiring things for a D180 today, wire up everything as you would for an EFIS-D100 and an EMS-D120, but leave the power wires and DSAB wires off of the EMS connector.

S

srv(Guest)

I'm thinking the D180 is what I want for my RV-8A. Couple of questions:

1) Shipping yet? If I order next month, how long until delivery?

2) Are there any differences between what the D100 EFIS displays by default and the D180? Particularly items like VSI.

3) Can the engine side of the D180 alternate fuel-flow, other items without manually toggling the display?

Thanks,
Steve

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hi Steve,

1) The FlightDEK-D180 is not shipping yet. We're shooting for sometime in March for the beginning of production, but until we get closer it is not possible to estimate lead times.

2) The FlightDEK-D180 is essentially an EFIS-D100 and an EMS-D120 in one box. Anything that we change on one we will also change on the other. Today, the VSI is the same as it's always been, but in the future we will be looking at how we can best take advantage of the increased size of the D100 series displays.

3) Such a feature is not currently planned. However, on the D100 series the two outer keys will let you quickly rotate among different screen configurations that you specify. This allows for extremely quick access to all available information.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
To follow up on the last answer to #3:

If fuel flow is what you are looking for, you won't have a problem. We can't switch screens automatically, but we show MAP, RPM, oil temp & press, Fuel flow, tank levels, and individual EGT's and CHT's all on the side screen next to an EFIS. So there aren't many things that you'd need to alternate between, since the majors, including fuel flow, are already there.

See the bottom of this page for a screen shot of what one of the D180 pages will look like:
http://dynonavionics.com/docs/D100Announcement.html

godspeed

two more questions please, if your using the 180 and only have the efis screen showing without the engine info to the right and you get a issue with the engine does it show an alarm or popup the issue so you can use the full screen mode on the flight info more ?  and still get the needed info as soon as possible..

also , if you put the 180 on the left side and then eventually get a D100 , and they communicate together, can you switch the ems info to the right side full screen and use the d180 for efis ? or would it be better to switch the D180 to the right side ? and the D100 On the left ?
the reason I ask is I only have the funds for one unit now and want to add another screen as soon as I can afford it..

Danny..

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, alarms will break through no matter what instruments you are currently displaying.

A FlightDEK-D180 connected to an EFIS-D100 will indeed be able to display the engine instruments on either screen. Additionally, you would have two fully independent ADAHRS! Customers looking for a dual screen setup with true redundancy are particularly interested in exactly this setup. In this case, the relative positions of the instruments do not really matter as they could behave identically when connected. You might keep the FlightDEK-D180 in front of you though since it has more capability built into it should the connection to the EFIS-D100 somehow be severed.

godspeed

exactly what I needed, thanks.. so the ems db25 wire harness will plug into the back also along with the db25 I have already ( bought the d-100 wire harness from Stein )
I would like to order the wire harness and probes & tray now how shall I do that ?

Danny..

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The FlightDEK-D180 has a total of three harnesses connected to it: the primary harness, the EMS main sensor harness, and the EMS CHT/EGT harness. To pre-order these items give us a call at 425-402-0553.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We're hoping to begin shipping sometime between the beginning of April and Sun/Fun. However, until they are actually going out the door, any timeframe we give is an estimate.

Mic

When you do start shipping the D180's will your initial production run cover all orders, or will there be a waiting period?

I don't need it just yet, but will place an order if there is going to be a queue.