Garmin 396 vs Aera 560 for autopilot control

Pilot135pd

I love flying!
Is there a difference when it comes to these two controlling my D180 autopilot?

From what I'm reading it might just be the autopilot sensitivity and other settings but I fell it's kind of sloppy. It'll intercept and track a route like the autopilots I had in a multi million helicopter I used to fly but when it comes to keeping the plane straight and level after just pushing on the AP74 button, it's all over the place, is that normal?

I was thinking about replacing the 396 with the 560 only because I have one sitting there but if it's not going to help regarding the autopilot then I'd leave it as is.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I wouldn't consider "all over the place" normal but I don't have experience with the D180 system. Is there nothing in the install manual on this? I suspect a protocol setting is incorrect on one side and/or the other.

W

William_Ince

The only thing I can tell you is . . . with my Skyview system . . . the Skyview autopilot tracked my Garmin 396 output perfectly . . . just as solid as my Skyview GPS.

I eventually traded up for a Garmin 496 (refresh rate is better), but the performance between the 396 and 496 is practically identical.

Pilot135pd

I love flying!
Thanks, hopefully someone with a D-180, or maybe even someone from Dynon, will reply with their experience and settings for me to confirm mine.

I installed the 496 today.

W

William_Ince

Thanks, hopefully someone with a D-180, or maybe even someone from Dynon, will reply with their experience and settings for me to confirm mine.
I installed the 496 today.
496 is a good little unit. It is my backup GPS and Nav to my Skyview.
Besides that, in the event my Skyview GPS and flight plan function becomes inop, the 496 is right there . . to fly the flight plan on the autoplilot.
Serves my purposes very well. That withstanding, I cannot see spending more money for shinier bells and whistles . . . when the 496 does the same thing.

Here’s a tip . . . when using Skyview as primary, I select NEAREST on the 496.
That gives me immediate info on the nearest airport, turn direction to get there, airport ID, runway length and freq. Very handy . . without any button pushing during a critical event.