Garmin 696 software Ver. 6.8 Bug?

stevelindell

Running Dynon 5.5 on my D100. Updated the Garmin 696 to system ver. 6.8. Headed off and no TIS from the GTX-330 and no nav feed to the auto pilot. There was a nice magenta line on the 696 but no feed to the AP.  Landed and checked the 696 settings, confirmed as correct. I was able to restore the feed by switching the 696 menu option over to TIS only and then back to the normal GTX setting. This worked for the remainder of the flight but I had to do the same menu routine at every restart. Here is what Garmin updated with 6.8: "Update VHF-out serial data format to support the GTR 200 COM Radio". along with "General system improvements".

Any ideas?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Check in the advanced NMEA setup menu and see if the data rate has reverted to FAST. It should be NORMAL to work with the D100. We've seen settings get reset or redefaulted on some products with software updates.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Also, are you saying that you had to reset the option every restart, or that you had to flip it back and forth between two options to get different things working?

stevelindell

NEMA output is set normal not fast. Yes, I have to flip between two Garmin options on every restart to get the TIS and NEMA data flowing. Once it's going, it's fine, so it seems to be an initial timing routine issue. I also opened a Garmin service record as I think it's something they introduced in 6.8. Your 5.5 and Garmins' 6.7 worked perfectly together.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We are able to re-create this here. The data output from the 696 is corrupt until you change the format back and forth. It's not the Dynon, so you'll need to get Garmin to fix this.

stevelindell

Garmin agrees, just released 6.9 system software to fix it.

Garmin says of the release: "Correct serial data format selection at power up."

Seems like the 695/696 system software is mature and it would be wise to pass up any new release unless it adds a feature you really need. Many of the Garmin updates are to support new Garmin hardware and only introduce the chance of incompatibility with the Dynon D100.

znurtdog

I love flying!
I have exactly the same problem with ver 6.9 on the 696 and 5.5.0 on the D100. Every start, I have to change the 696 line from TIS/nmea vhf etc to anything else, then back again, and instantly the line below changes from 'Not receiving' to 'receiving' :(