Garmin GPS 175 Installation

cbretana

Should I use the same pinouts for the Garmin GPS175 db25 connector as are specified for the Garmin 430/530 in the SV-ARINC-429 Installation section of the Skyview Installation guide (Figure 156 on pg 12-6 through 12-8) ? (ignoring the VOR/ILS stuff)

Raymo

I love aviation!
Probably better to use the pinouts from the 175>G5 for the 175 side of things. The ARINC connections should be the same, regardless of GPS navigator.

Tim Fitz

Got this from Jeff in Dynon support when I wired mine last year. Hope it helps

Attachments

• GPS 175 to Dynon SkyView System With Config.pdf
    204.7 KB · Views: 959

cbretana

Awesome, thanks!
By the way, is the purpose of connecting the GPS 175 to the ADS-B Out only to provide the ADS-B Out with lat-long data? Because I already have it connected to the Dynon GPS-2020, Is it advisable to use the GPS175 data over the Dynon GPS 2020 data?

lancair360

Awesome, thanks!
By the way, is the purpose of connecting the GPS 175 to the ADS-B Out only to provide the ADS-B Out with lat-long data? Because I already have it connected to the Dynon GPS-2020, Is it advisable to use the GPS175 data over the Dynon GPS 2020 data?
If you already have it on the GPS 2020 then I wouldn't bother with it on the GPS175. I just installed my 175 last winter and it was a breeze. Why wire stuff if you don't have to?

Tim Fitz

Agree with Lancair360. I just use my Dynon GPS 2020. One little note. I thought I was good at making antenna wires (did them for everything else in my plane) however my G175 did not like my antenna wire. Had to have a local avionics shop make me one. Not sure why my Garmin thinks I suck at it but it did.

lancair360

Same, just had the shop whip up the cable, super inexpensive since I did the whole install except that. Worth it.

n28et

I love flying!
I am installing a Garmin G5 as a backup attitude/HSI along with a Garmin GPS175. The intent is to have the GPS175 provide nav guidance via ARINC 429 to both Skyview and the G5. Reviewing the various installation materials did not provide clarity on the setup.

Unfortunately, Dynon does not provide setting information for the GPS175. The unit has two output formats to choose from, GAMA Format 1 & 3. Thanks to Tim Fitz for posting an installation attachment. In the attachment it list GAMA Format 3 (high speed), SID (common) as the output. That’s fine for Skyview, however, the G5 specifies an output of GAMA Format 1 (low speed), SID (LNAV 1). Unfortunately, the GPS175 only has one transmitting port, so I need output settings that will work for both Skyview and the G5.

Finger crossed someone on this forum can shed some light.
Thank you.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We can't think of a way for this configuration to work. SkyView does require the settings you indicated.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

I am installing a Garmin G5 as a backup attitude/HSI along with a Garmin GPS175. The intent is to have the GPS175 provide nav guidance via ARINC 429 to both Skyview and the G5. Reviewing the various installation materials did not provide clarity on the setup.

Unfortunately, Dynon does not provide setting information for the GPS175. The unit has two output formats to choose from, GAMA Format 1 & 3. Thanks to Tim Fitz for posting an installation attachment. In the attachment it list GAMA Format 3 (high speed), SID (common) as the output. That’s fine for Skyview, however, the G5 specifies an output of GAMA Format 1 (low speed), SID (LNAV 1). Unfortunately, the GPS175 only has one transmitting port, so I need output settings that will work for both Skyview and the G5.

Thank you.
I have a dual HDX system with a G5 backup and a GPS 175. The G5 is fed from a serial port from the 175, while the ARINC goes to the HDXs. I don't remember what my configuration setup is, but it works fine - data goes to both, and the G5 can act as the HSI from the 175 if you want.

CanardMulti

Thank you.
I've also installed a G5 as a standby attitude indicator and, as above, feed it the data from my IFR GPS navigator (an Avidyne IFD 540) from one of the navigator's serial ports. I use the navigator's ARINC outputs to feed SkyView via an SV-ARINC-429. Works great.

I at first wanted to wire the G5 (thru a GAD 29 converter) in a 'listen only' piggy back arrangement to the 540's ARINC output in order to leave the G5's one and only serial port available for a VHF Nav input, but ran up against the same incompatibility. SkyView wants high speed ARINC data and Garmin wants low speed data. If there's a fix for that, I'd sure like to learn about it.

Ken

n28et

I love flying!
UPDATE

So, I completed the installation of the Garmin GPS175 and G5 and it works as intended. I was successful in connecting the G5 to the GPS175 via the GAD29 which provides vertical nav guidance on the G5. The GPS175 concurrently provides ARINC 429 data to my Skyview via the SV-ARINC-429 module, populating the HSI and moving map.

Here are the connections I am using to achieve the above:

GPS175: Output 1- GAMA Format 3, low speed, SID (common). Input 1 - EFIS/ADC, low speed (Skyview). Input 2 - Standby EFIS, low speed (G5). RS232 Port TX 1, MapMx (G5). Port TX 3, Aviation (Skyview).

G5: Output 1 - EFIS/Airdata 1, low speed, SID (1). Input 1 - Garmin GPS. RS232 Port RX 1 - MapMx

Skyview: Output 1 - low speed. Input 1 - GPS1, low speed. RS232 Port RX 1 (no configuration setting required).

Erich

Cap_Ax

Guys,
On that 175 to skyview diagram posted by @Tim Fitz, what is the config Module ? And for what equipment is that ?

thank you all!

-Ax

lancair360

The config module is included with the GPS 175. It will be physically located in a special holder that is part of the metal backshell assembly of the large connector for the GPS unit. This module will contain all the uniqueness of the installation that you will program into the module at power- on time.

Cap_Ax

The config module is included with the GPS 175. It will be physically located in a special holder that is part of the metal backshell assembly of the large connector for the GPS unit. This module will contain all the uniqueness of the installation that you will program into the module at power- on time.
Thanks @lancair360 !!,

Cap_Ax

Does anyone have a diagram That shows connections among Dynon to PS Engineering intercom and Garmin GPS?

Thanks!

jessesaint

Does anyone have a diagram That shows connections among Dynon to PS Engineering intercom and Garmin GPS?

Thanks!
It depends on what Garmin GPS. The Intercom will just get Com audio and, if it has an unswitched audio port, it will get audio from the EFIS main harness (gray, brown and black wires). If there is no unswitched audio input, you can use a music port, but realize that it will likely mute the music when you talk on the intercom or receive from the radio. These diagrams are in Dynon's install manual and should match with the PS Engineering manual. Mainly, you will have an Audio Hi and Audio Lo (ground), then a Mic Hi, Mic Lo and Mic Key to your radio. Those 5 wires (some intercoms gang all of the Lo's together to one pin).