HDX Install question

Tackdog

I love flying!
Hi guys,

My RV is at the workshop having the following installed:
HDX, engine sensors, ARINC, coupled to a Garmin 430. Prior to the instal the Garmin 430 was only linked to my TruTrak digi 2 autopilot. The avionics guy today was scratching his head saying something about gamma signals and not enough pins to integrate the trutrak autopilot - ARINC and HDX. Has anyone installed a similar system and encountered an issue of this type before?

Cheers!

Raymo

I love aviation!
The head scratching is due to the Dynon limit of 5 serial ports. If you wish to control the TT AP via the HDX, it requires serial I/O to do so.

In my setup, with no 430W, I have the following, which precludes me of connecting any other serial device unless I decide to drop one of the current connections. I'd likely drop the ELT first and retain redundant GPS sources for the SV system.

You can get creative with switches as long as the two devices you are switching use the same baud rate and protocol.

Port 1: SV XPNDR 261
Port 2: SV 470 ADS-B in
Port 3: ELT (out only)
Port 4: SV GPS 250
Port 5: SV GPS 2020

Tackdog

I love flying!
Thanks Ray, please excuse my terminology.

If we only wanted the GNS430 to supply info to the sky view HSI, where the TT autopilot only steers the 430, is this simpler to achieve?

I wasn't aware the TT could steer the skyview?

Cheers

Damian

Raymo

I love aviation!
If we only wanted the GNS430 to supply info to the sky view HSI, where the TT autopilot only steers the 430, is this simpler to achieve?

I wasn't aware the TT could steer the skyview?

Cheers

Damian

Hopefully someone from Dynon will chime in but I suspect you will need 2 ARINC boxes to achieve what you want. If you had the Dynon AP, you would only need one since it would get its feed from the Dynon network versus the TT that needs the ARINC feed.

There might be a way to split the ARINC out lines to both TT and Dynon, but that is something on which Dynon needs to provide guidance.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
ARINC-429 signals can be split up to 6 times. So in our experience, there's no issue here. Just split the wires to both the TruTrak and the Dynon ARINC-429 box. They can both listen to the data coming out without issue.

There might not be enough pins to do this, so the shop needs to split the wires, but this is done all the time, so it shouldn't be an issue.

The serial ports are not an issue. The 430 does not connect to any serial ports on SkyView, it connects only to the ARINC-429 box.

All that said, consider using Dynon's autopilot. You will get much more capabilities and integration, and save some money in the process. The servos mount the same way and can use the same wiring.

Tackdog

I love flying!
Thanks for the advice. The tech is slowly moving along and for the time being we will stay with the tru track

Cheers!

jnmeade

The servos mount the same way and can use the same wiring.

I'm starting this right now and am intrigued by the wiring comment. I'll check the wiring myself, but are you saying the cabling from my TT servos to my D100/D120 setup will work just the same when I put in my Dynon servos and connect them to the SkyView? I don't have to buy or redo the cables?

Raymo

I love aviation!
You will need to re-pin the connectors, most likely, per the Dynon manual at the autopilot servos. The other end will need to be de-pinned from the TT controller and set up per the Dynon manual for power, ground and network.

You should not need to run new wires.