Hobbs Time and Tach Time Flight Durations with v16.2.4

RV8JD

Hi Don - I have this issue (1 mag, 1 pmag) when you say “fail” one of the inputs, am I just doing a phyzical disconnect of one of the rpm inputs (probably the pmag…)? Or is this a configuration fix?

Thanks,
I'm not Don, but I asked him a similar question. My question and his response is below:

Q: Would I have to physically disconnect a mag input, or can I disconnect it in the software config somewhere?

A: It has to be physically disconnected. I tried shutting it down in software and there really isn't a way to do that.

jcarne

Well it's certainly better but not perfect.

I disconnected the tach wire on my Pmag and the TACH time is relatively normal now except at the end of the flights today the tach time just suddenly drops down a little bit.

Don, do you need the diagnostic file on this one? Just want you to be aware that disconnecting 1 tach signal doesn't totally solve the problem.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 91

wbhendrickson

I love flying!
If there is a desire for another data point for Hobbs vs. Tach disparities after moving to 16.2.4, add me to the group. First four flights after the 16.2.4 "up"grade:
Hobbs: Tach:
1.2 1.6
1.9 2.6
1.3 1.4
2.1 2.9

I'm now planning on using 2002 hours as TBO. :)

My engine configuration is (IO-390) 210 HP, 2700 Redline, 2400 Cruise. Been that way from Day 1. I have a standard impulse mag on the left and an Electro Air Ignition on the right. The different ignition systems appear to be Criterion #1 for this problem to manifest itself. Check!

I'll be writing Dynon to revert to an earlier software version.

By the way, my next forum search will be to better understand the difference between "Lycoming - Deprecated" and "Lycoming" on the engine configuration page. Happy to accept any explanations in the meantime...

RV8JD

By the way, my next forum search will be to better understand the difference between "Lycoming - Deprecated" and "Lycoming" on the engine configuration page. Happy to accept any explanations in the meantime...
FWIW, Dynon made that change in v16.0.1, with this statement in the change log:

"Improved: Lycoming and Continental percent power calculations improved. Existing user settings will continue to use the legacy calculations unless they manually update their engine type. The legacy engine calculations are identified as "DEPRECATED" in the ENGINE TYPE in the setup menu."

I have not found any other details of the differences in the % Power calculations between the two definitions.

I have an IO-360-M1B. In-flight I've switched between the old "Lycoming - Deprecated" and the new "Lycoming" choices at cruise power (~75%) several times. When running about 100*F ROP, the new "Lycoming" choice makes the % Power indication read higher than the old "Lycoming - Deprecated" choice by between about 2% to 4% at the same RPM, MP, FF, Altitude, and OAT conditions. I have not checked it yet when running LOP.

Years ago Dynon published the article below on how they calculate Percent Power. Unfortunately, several figures no longer show in the article.

I'd like to see Dynon update the article and restore the missing figures and explain how they now calculate % Power, or at least explain the differences between "Lycoming - Deprecated" and the new "Lycoming" choice.

Last edited:

wbhendrickson

I love flying!
Thank you Rhino and RV8JD - very helpful explanations.

As far as my software reversion goes to solve the Hobbs/Tach Time issue, good news and bad news... I was able to successfully revert to 16.0.8.8812 software. However, now all my EMS Screens are completely blank. Oops... I would advise anyone else contemplating a software reversion to hold off until I can get to the bottom of this. I sent a very detailed note to Don Jones et al at Dynon looking for a fix. I'll report back when I determine what happened and how to fix it.

RV8JD

Thank you Rhino and RV8JD - very helpful explanations.

As far as my software reversion goes to solve the Hobbs/Tach Time issue, good news and bad news... I was able to successfully revert to 16.0.8.8812 software. However, now all my EMS Screens are completely blank. Oops... I would advise anyone else contemplating a software reversion to hold off until I can get to the bottom of this. I sent a very detailed note to Don Jones et al at Dynon looking for a fix. I'll report back when I determine what happened and how to fix it.

Re: EMS widgets gone: See my Post #16 in this thread for a solution:

wbhendrickson

I love flying!
Problem ultimately solved but it wasn't easy... Thanks RV8JD...

In my case, after successfully loading the reversion to 16.0.8, I did indeed upload the config.dfg file immediately thereafter. When I went to enter the Hobbs/Tach times (they were zeroed out as expected), there were other changes obvious on that page. Engine type was changed from Lycoming-Deprecated to Lycoming (I had never manually changed it) plus my horsepower was changed from 210 to 180. I left the Lycoming setting alone and manually changed the HP to 210 (IO-390). After completing those tasks, I exited. That's when I discovered my EMS screens were totally blank. Both screens, power off/power on was no help. Ruh roh... Not wanting to screw anything else up - and knowing I had followed your tip in Post #16 above and Don's explicit reversion instructions - I left it alone at that point.

I left a message for Dynon Tech Support and Don called me personally the very next day. (What great support!) He told me they have had the same experience on their test bench. He said to retry loading the config.dfg file until it worked. OK, back to the airport...

I made several attempts reloading the same config.dfg file I had initially used. It didn't take. I then figured I'd try loading a different config.dfg. The one I used was the 16.0.4 config.dfg file - the one before 16.0.8 was installed (I save a year's worth of database updates and setting archives folders before I delete anything permanently). Voila! That one did work. My EMS panel was up and running.

There were a couple of details though that required more attention:
- I did have to entirely reprogram the dates in my MAINTENANCE LOG entries in AIRCRAFT INFORMATION as they had all reverted to old dates, but that was no problem.
- My engine setting was changed back to Lycoming-Deprecated as well so I had to update that.
- Lastly, I noticed that the date of my last backup battery test was also reset to last year. Unfortunately that date can't be overwritten. At that point, I I figured it was worth a try so I then reattempted loading the the first config.dfg file. This time it took and it did update my backup battery test date without corrupting my EMS screens. Go figure...

I shared all this with Don today and he wrote back "Glad to hear it. Going backwards from 16.2.4 is a bit of a can of worms." Indeed!

Two last points:
- 16.2.4 was a massive software change because it added the capability for twin engine aircraft. No surprise then that there were a few idiosyncrasies.
- Also, 16.3.1 is out now in beta test stage. It fixes the 16.2.4 bugs. I'm in no rush this time. I'll wait until I hear good things...

If anyone also wishes to revert, you're welcome to contact me and I'll be happy to pay the value of this forum forward...

Rhino

Dynon reports that version 16.3.2 is now released and available on the website, which they say has a fix for the tach time issue.