HS34->ARINC->430W not showing OBS

Dave H.

I have 2 D10As, DSAB, HS34 connected to a 430W with the ARINC connections (HS34 pins 23, 11, 25, 13 into GNS430W pins 46, 47, 48, 49).
The 430W is sending good CDI indications to the D10A, but the OBS indication from the HS34 is not getting back to the 430W.

The "Instrument Panel Self-Test" screen on the 430W does not show a value for the OBS, and once the 430W fully boots up there is no OBS function from the HS34.

Is there a setting I might have missed?

Thanks,
Dave H.

DBRV10

Setting missed?

There are very clear setup instructions in the manual. read carefully. You may have not set the 430W up right.

You also only mention half the HS34 pins. Here is a snip of my drawing from back 12 years ago when I had Classic panels. You mention GPS data pins not NAV.

1614125776551.png

Dave H.

Setting missed?

There are very clear setup instructions in the manual. read carefully. You may have not set the 430W up right.

You also only mention half the HS34 pins. Here is a snip of my drawing from back 12 years ago when I had Classic panels. You mention GPS data pins not NAV.

View attachment 4433
David,
Thanks for posting this. I had to go back through my build-up notes to check. They indicate that I did in deed make all eight connections, not just the four outlined in my first post. So by that, it is not the problem.

But since I have you, does your installation work the way I think is correct? You have a 430 and an HS34? You see OBS numbers on your 430? I might want to pick your brain a little more before I pull the hardware out of the plane.

Thanks!
Dave H.

DBRV10

That was 2009.............

I have SV and HDX since. But from memory yes it did work both ways.

Read the Installation manual about the settings in the 430W, otherwise the ARINC in will not work

Dave H.

OK, I pulled the harness out of the airplane and verified that it is wired as in your diagram. I verified identity and continuity pin-to-pin for each of the 8 ARINC lines. I also verified shielding.

I verified that the HS34 and the 430W are configured according to Dynon's documentation, as follows:

HS34, ARINC-429 Page:
Input1: GAMA GPS
Input2: GAMA NAV
Speed: HIGH

Output Data: ON
Output Speed: HIGH
---------------------------------------
Garmin GNS430W:

"Main ARINC 429 Config" Page
In 1 : High | EFIS / Airdata
In 2 : Unused by the HS34
Out : High | GAMA 429
SDI : Common
VNAV : Enable Labels

"VOR / LOC / GS ARINC 429 Config" Page
TX: High
RX: High
SDI: Common
DME: Unused by HS34

Notes:
The ARINC GPS signal appears good both ways.
The ARINC VOR tuned frequency and CDI indication is displayed on the EFIS, however in the "Instrument Panel Self-Test" screen on the 430W does not show a value for the OBS, and the CDI test deflections indicated there do not appear on the EFIS.

Dynon, do you have any advice for me here?

-Dave H.

Last edited:

DBRV10

Dave,

Go into the config mode and make sure your 430W is outputting those test signals. It sounds like you have a 430W fault, either config or an actual hardware fault. That test page is telling you something.