HSI Bearing Pointers

aceflyingservice

I have an EFIS D10A, EMS D10, HS34, SL30, and Garmin 496. All is working fine, however, I a have a question regarding the bearing pointer operation on the HSI. The standby VOR can only be selected as the second bearing pointer after the active VOR is selected as the first bearing pointer. Is this by design? I would like to be able to use the active VOR as the CDI and the standby VOR as the only bearing pointer. Is this possible?

Sincerely

Roger Johnson
LongEZ N34JR

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
This is not by design. You should be able to choose the primary VOR as the CDI and the standby as the only bearing.

Are you pressing BRG SRC then turning the value knob?

We'll look at this tomorrow.

What version of SW are you running?

aceflyingservice

I am running 5.0. Also, with the active NAV on the 1st pointer and the standby Nav on the 2nd pointer, if the 1st pointer is deselected, the 2nd pointer automatically switches over to the active NAV. Thanks for the quick response.

Roger Johnson
LongEZ N34JR

bmarvel

I have not loaded 5.0 yet but would like to know if it solves the locked bearing pointer problem when using an SL-30.  In short, both bearing pointers point to the VOR location of the primary frequency but you cannot get one to point to the location of the standby frequency.  

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Per the release notes, it should be, but if you can upload 5.0 and let us know that it's fixed for you, we'd appreciate it.

bmarvel

I did not see it addressed in the release notes but I did load and fly version 5 yesterday.  The two bearing pointers are still locked together and only point to the primary nav freq selected in the SL-30.  You cannot get one to point to the SBY freq and even when the SBY freq is tuned to a station too far away for reception, both bearing pointers still remain displayed and pointed to the location of the primary nav freq selected.  

Brantel

This is bad news. This should be an easy thing to fix.

One of the biggest selling features is the fact that the HSI can use the SL30's standby monitoring function.

What is the plan Dynon? Is this going to be fixed?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
bmarvel - Is your system with or without an HS34? We can also get you into our 5.1 beta program if you're interested in testing this before it hits the street.

Looking deeper into this, we thought we had it fixed in 5.0, but didn't have positive confirmation from the field. We'll be taking another look into this.

bmarvel

bmarvel - Is your system with or without an HS34? We can also get you into our 5.1 beta program if you're interested in testing this before it hits the street.

Looking deeper into this, we thought we had it fixed in 5.0, but didn't have positive confirmation from the field. We'll be taking another look into this.

I do have the HS34 along with the D100 and SL30.  Every other feature except this bearing issue works perfectly.  I would be happy to beta test 5.1 but haven't been flying all that much here in CO in the winter.  Please advise how I can do that.

rvmills

bmarvel - Is your system with or without an HS34?quote]

Will this dual bearing pointer feature from an SL-30 work without an HS-34 installed (once the bug is fixed)? I see in the online HS-34 product documentation references to selectable bearing pointers, but after the above question, just wondered if it will work with no HS-34.

I have a D100/D10/AP-74/SL-40 setup, but am considering upgrading to an SL-30, and am interested in this feature.

Related question, without an HS-34, I'm figuring there is no way to display both an SL-30 VOR bearing and a G396 GPS bearing, because without the HS-34, I'll need to switch between the two sources...correct? (Any tricky ways to do this?) ;D

Thanks much!

Cheers,
Bob

Brantel

I might be wrong but I think that without the HS34 you are stuck with chosing between the GPS overlay and the Nav overlay on the HSI. No mix matching....

It is my understanding that when using the NAV overlay and an SL30 set to monitor the standby channel, you should get the second bearing pointer pointing to the standby station.

There is a reported bug with the HS34 that prevents this from working correctly, not sure if the bug exist without the HS34.

skysailor

As a further question, I plan to use a Garmin 480 which also has the active and standby monitor. Since I am planning to have an HS 34 in the panel, will I be able to have the separate pointers even though I do not plan to use an SL 30?

rvmills

I might be wrong but I think that without the HS34 you are stuck with chosing between the GPS overlay and the Nav overlay on the HSI.  No mix matching....

It is my understanding that when using the NAV overlay and an SL30 set to monitor the standby channel, you should get the second bearing pointer pointing to the standby station.

There is a reported bug with the HS34 that prevents this from working correctly, not sure if the bug exist without the HS34.

Thanks Brian...same stuff we discussed via e-mail, and I think you are correct about GPS+VOR overlays. Would be neat if some sort of "splitter" was available to allow display of both GPS and NAV radials...but I guess that's what the HS-34 is doing in that situation! ;)

On the SL-30 dual pointer capability issue, a friend has an D100/SL-30 set-up (no HS-34) and we're going to test this as soon as the wx cooperates. Will advise if the locked second bearing pointer exists in that set-up, or if we can get the STBY radial to display.

Cheers,
Bob

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
An SL30 without an HS34 should display both the bearing to active and the bearing to standby whenever the SL30 is active on the HSI (though the bearing to standby is evidently broken at the moment, period - which we're looking into).

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The 480 is a little trickier to answer. We don't have one here, and we've only gotten one or two reports from the field.

On the NAV side, there's serial data there that should look like an SL30. If it has everything that the SL30 has in it, then the answer is yes on the bearing pointers. Not sure whether or not the ARINC nav data has any bearing information (on the 430, it does).

On the GPS side, there's usually some bearing to waypoint information, regardless on whether or not you use ARINC (preferred) or serial.

Here's some recent information from a customer about his experiences with his 480 (with older firmware):  http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Garmin_480_Wiring

A customer with newer firmware reports that his 480 works (no specific reports on the bearing pointers though) with the newer firmware: http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1214574378/11#11

PhantomPholly

Thanks for reminding me - I just now updated the Wiki. Have everything working except GPS over ARINC.

As a note, I think you might also be able to get Nav over serial although I'm getting Nav over ARINC ok. Haven't looked for dual pointers yet, though. Still can't figure out why no GPS over ARINC - another person reports success.

rvmills

An SL30 without an HS34 should display both the bearing to active and the bearing to standby whenever the SL30 is active on the HSI (though the bearing to standby is evidently broken at the moment, period - which we're looking into).

Just to provide some + feedback... today I flew with a friend in a D100/SL-30/GPSMAP495 equipped RV-9A. Tested the dual bearing pointer feature and it worked as advertised. Orange needle pointed to the primary VOR, Yellow needle pointed to the STBY VOR. Green CDI slewable to the primary VOR as well. Also, during an ILS, the Green CDI tracked the localizer, and the Orange needle pointed to the STBY VOR, while the GS indicators (on both the HSI and ADI) displayed well. Very nice display!!

One thing I noted was that winds were absent, which I would have expected, given that the selector switch was on SL-30 and not GPS. I know (or believe) that the HS-34 enables the display of GPS data, including winds, along with the VHF NAV data, but was wondering if there is anything short of an HS-34 (wiring or gizmo) that would allow the parallel/simultaneous streaming of VOR serial data and GPS NMEA data into pin 22 to get the same results (or is that just not possible...just thinking outside the box a bit here). If I do upgrade my SL-40 to an SL-30, just might have to go for the HS-34 as well!  ;)

Just wanted to pass along the good test results today, and like I said..very nice display!

Cheers,
Bob

aceflyingservice

Bob,

I think you missed the original point of this thread. In most cases, having an RMI pointing to the same VOR as the CDI is not necessary and just clutters up the screen. What I am looking for is for the active VOR to drive the CDI (and glideslope) and for the standby VOR to drive one RMI only. Dynon says this is supposed to work, but it doesn't. I have been able to drive the 2nd RMI via the standby VOR only if the active VOR is driving the 1st RMI (as you described in your experience.) Dynon, have I described the issue correctly?

Roger Johnson
LongEZ N34JR