IFD 440 vs 540 with Skyview

VIFlyer

I am about to upgrade a Grumman Tiger with a full Skyview suite. Engine, radio, ads-b single 10" screen and a panel mounted full size iPad that I can run either firelight or the IFD app on. With the 440 and 9.7" iPad vs the 540 and no iPad or a mini possible. Pro's and cons. I have attached 3 hi-tech renderings below using the 440. They are all to scale. Any thoughts or suggestions? The plane goes to the avionics shop next week.
IMG_3346.JPGIMG_5352.JPGIMG_4949.JPG

airguy

I'm not a fan of the iPad in the cockpit due to visibility and temperature limitations in full sun. And I think you'll find that you use the larger Dynon screen for information much more than the IFD screen, so there's no point in paying for the larger 540 over the 440. That's my opinion only. I fly an RV9A with dual 10" HDX and a 430W, and we have a Cessna 172 with dual 10" HDX and the IFD 440.

VIFlyer

I'm not a fan of the iPad in the cockpit due to visibility and temperature limitations in full sun. And I think you'll find that you use the larger Dynon screen for information much more than the IFD screen, so there's no point in paying for the larger 540 over the 440. That's my opinion only. I fly an RV9A with dual 10" HDX and a 430W, and we have a Cessna 172 with dual 10" HDX and the IFD 440.
Airguy,
Thanks, I was not sure if it was worth upgrading the 440 to the 540 but from what you are saying it doesn't seem to be worth the extra expense. I see on both of your aircraft you have dual 10" screens, I am considering putting in a second 7" screen but not sure I need it, will not be doing any flight instruction. Do you think the secondary screen is necessary?

Raymo

I love aviation!
If you install the 7", I'd use it primarily for engine monitor information, so you can maximize your 10" for PFD/MAP. If you use the iPad, it would be for a passenger and possible backup should your primary screen fail. I have dual 10" SV1000T screens and plan to install an IFD-440 for IFR ops, along with an audio panel to replace the Dynon version. I use my iPhone with FF for loading and updating flight plans and backup should all else fail.

airguy

Airguy,
Thanks, I was not sure if it was worth upgrading the 440 to the 540 but from what you are saying it doesn't seem to be worth the extra expense. I see on both of your aircraft you have dual 10" screens, I am considering putting in a second 7" screen but not sure I need it, will not be doing any flight instruction. Do you think the secondary screen is necessary?
Certainly not necessary - more of a "want-to" than a "need-to", like the 540 over the 440. I fly a lot of IFR and wanted to have redundant screens, and on my IFR checkride my examiner had me fail the left screen and hand-fly an approach from the right screen - quite an interesting experience, trying to fly a precision approach with your head turned 30 degrees to the direction of travel.

uvaplane

I am about to upgrade a Grumman Tiger with a full Skyview suite. Engine, radio, ads-b single 10" screen and a panel mounted full size iPad that I can run either firelight or the IFD app on. With the 440 and 9.7" iPad vs the 540 and no iPad or a mini possible. Pro's and cons. I have attached 3 hi-tech renderings below using the 440. They are all to scale. Any thoughts or suggestions? The plane goes to the avionics shop next week.
View attachment 4067View attachment 4068View attachment 4069
Sweet renderings. Did you use certified or experimental corrugated? Much more reliable in IFR than my #PiperPaperPanel.

VIFlyer

Sweet renderings. Did you use certified or experimental corrugated? Much more reliable in IFR than my #PiperPaperPanel.
I looked all over the place and couldn't find certified so I had to go with experimental... Just waiting for my STC

VIFlyer

Getting closer, should be done by new years. I prewired and put in the shelf for a 7" Display for the future, but am going to have a iPad mounted there for now. If I decide I need the second screen it will be just a drop in. Also cut out for future Dynon autopilot and will be blanked.

Better than the cardboard, which I couldn't get certified.
IMG_7109.jpg

Raymo

I love aviation!
Beautiful panel! I'm planning a similar upgrade to my RV-7A next year. Dual 10" HDX with IDF-440 and PS Engineering audio panel. Selling my current 10" Touch screens to a friend and will install them in his YAK-52.

bcoppersmith

I love flying!
Here is my Yak 52 Dynon SV HDX panels front and rear. Every instrument and wire removed. Round dials in the front are to appease the authorities. Apparently the Dynon not reliable enough!!! I drew up wiring diagrams if anyone interested.

IMG_0275.jpg
IMG_0276.jpg

Raymo

I love aviation!
Well done @bcoppersmith. I just upgraded my RV-7A panel with HDX screens and will be installing my SV1000T screens in a friend's Yak-52. Would much appreciate the wiring diagrams. I'll PM my email address.