Install SV-KNOB-panel

flysgi

I love flying!
I would like to add this, I have an RV12 with a SkyView touch, with everything installed as per the Van’s standard kit configuration. I was at Oshkosh and saw your installations, and it appeared that it was a simple plug in installation. I have no “extra” places to plug this in anywhere. Am I out of luck?

WmInce

I would like to add this, I have an RV12 with a SkyView touch, with everything installed as per the Van’s standard kit configuration. I was at Oshkosh and saw your installations, and it appeared that it was a simple plug in installation. I have no “extra” places to plug this in anywhere. Am I out of luck?
Photo of the panel would help us.
I don't quite understand, "I have no “extra” places to plug this in anywhere."
Do you mean "unit in the panel" or "behind the panel where the unit is actually plugged in?"
I have the Knob Panel installed and love it.

Last edited:

jessesaint

As long as you have panel space, it is an easy install. If you don't have any open ports for the SV Network, the Knob panel has 2 ports, so it can go inline with any other cable and add to the network. Cutting the panel is the biggest part of the project, but a shop with a CNC can easily do that by removing the portion of the panel that it will go on. If you don't have panel space, you could possibly put it on a bracket underneath the panel in a spot where you can easily reach it and it won't get in the way of your knees.

Rhino

I'm a little confused. There is no "Van’s standard kit configuration" for panels on homebuilts. They offer multiple configurations, or you can design your own. This isn't an SLSA, is it?

CanardMulti

It doesn't have to be on the panel. If you have a throttle quadrant it can go on the console, just ahead of the levers. Folks often rest their hands on the throttle lever(s) and the knobs are literally at your fingertips. It takes all of 90 seconds to memorize which knob does which function. After that you don't even have to look away from whatever your eyeballs need to be looking at right then. Knob Panel.jpg

Stevec

Vans seem to supply a standard wiring harness that is built for all options, at least that is what we have received on the last two RV12 builds. So you might find there are plugs waiting for you behind the panel for a knob panel.