Intercom related static

scheevel

I love flying!
New installation, have a single Skyview display, two coms and intercom-2S as my "audio panel". Testing on the ground. With intercom off, both radios transmit and recieve noise free, but when I turn on intercom I get static through the phones (loud). Radios transmit noise free (others recieve noise free), I hear their transmissions undistorted, but static is always present, not cutting out when transmissions come in. Turn intercom off, all is quiet again, but volume is significantly diminished. Same behavior is true with engine running, but turning up intercom causes static to be unbearable, just to hear incoming transmissions. Any advice to kill this static problem in the intercom?

Raymo

I love aviation!
Jay,

What you describe does not quite make sense to me. If you have an intercom, the radios should be wired through it and only function with the intercom turned on.

Can you provide a schematic of how it is wired?

Also, your hangar lighting often sends out a lot of RF noise that can cause this.

scheevel

I love flying!
Thanks Ray,

I have done some more trouble shooting. RF noise has been elminated, but I have discovered that the Comm 1 is about half the volume of Comm2. Swapped both the the panel and transmitter sections of both radios and elimated those components as the source of the problem. The intercom is responsible for making Comm1 lower volume (maybe a short?). I built the intercom harness from scratch. Decided I do not want to chase the problem through my sealed up harness, so I bit the bullet and ordered the "factory" harness as a replacement. Will wire that up and this week and hopefully solve the problem. Will post here on the results.

scheevel

I love flying!
OK, tracked down the problem. Ended up using my fabricated connector. I was very disappointed to find that the Dynon intercom connector only accomodates one radio. If you have two coms, then you are out of luck with the factory version. My problem turned out to be a flaky ground in the pigtail that is connected to pin 1 on the intercom. Anyway, all good now.

Jay