Is Garmin SL-30 and HDX an IFR Navigator ?

cbretana

Is the Garmin Sl-30 COM/VOR/ILS attached via a serial port to the Skyview HDX, (with SV-XPNDR-261 and SV-GPS-2020), constitute an "IFR Navigator" for the purposes of satisfying FAA IFR requirements?

Marc_J._Zeitlin

Is the Garmin Sl-30 COM/VOR/ILS attached via a serial port to the Skyview HDX, (with SV-XPNDR-261 and SV-GPS-2020), constitute an "IFR Navigator" for the purposes of satisfying FAA IFR requirements?
Yes, for VOR/ILS/LOC approaches and en-route navigation. Sometimes it seems to be hard to get MFG's to say that, but there's no reason that it wouldn't be, assuming you're using the SV as the CDI.

Raymo

I love aviation!
The SL-30 is what gets you IFR capabilities. The transponder is also required for flight in certain airspace and ADS-B out. The GPS-2020 is needed for ADS-B out as the position source.

cbretana

Yes, this is what I thought.

This may sound really legalistic, bit is it true that each piece of hardware and software necessary to navigate on a specific route, or a specific published approach, need to have been certified by the FAA to IFR in order to legally fly that route, or approach, in IMC on an IFR flight plan?

rfazio1951

Yes it's true and the SL30 meets the requirement, BUT, you are not going to be comfortable flying with only an SL30. I know guys do it. I started down the path to IFR capable, thinking that way and now have much more. Now a days you can get a 430W for around $5000, that and an SL30 and now you are talking. Also backup batteries on the screens, etc. etc. Do you have an autopilot? Back up attitude? All that and I'm still thinking of adding stuff. Check out my video if you are into IFR

IFR Round Robin

cbretana

Well I have an HDX and GPS-2020, with backup battery, I am "comfortable" with just those, but not legal. The SL-30 will make me IFR - Legal. That's the first step. What gets added on top of that is yet to be determined. Yes to your Autopilot question, I have the Dynon built-in autopilot that comes with the Skyview HDX, and good news is that it can be driven from the SL-30 VOR, LOC or ILS, as well as from the Dynon GPS. I do not hav ebackup attitude, but that is on my list. As to the 430W, I ma in a Rutan LongEZ, and there's virtually no real estate left on my panel for a 430. There's barely enough room to add the Sl-30 control head, (above the HDX below the glare shield)
Panel2.jpg