Loading Charts from OzRunways

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So one more idea: It's critical that the Tail / Registration number you put in at Ozrunways is the same as in your SkyView. Down to any dashes and spaces. If you put VH-123 in SkyView and VH123 or 123 in at Ozrunways, it won't work.

If you'd like, send us your .KEY file from your USB stick as well as your exported settings file and we can check that everything matches.

Jeff,
What do you mean that V13 fails to copy from your saved download to your USB storage? Do you mean a datalog to USB? Does it generate an error, or is the file you expect just not on the USB device when done?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
And just to prove that it can work, here's a screenshot just taken from V13:

Attachments

• screenshot-N42SV-SN04465-13_0_2_3231-20150812-000708-960-en_US.png
    screenshot-N42SV-SN04465-13_0_2_3231-20150812-000708-960-en_US.png
    963.1 KB · Views: 178

bevan

I love flying!
Hi Folks

If your having issues with the ozrunways maps, AvPlan can help you out. Call our office on 03 8370 3024. We don't have these chart locking issues.

Even if you use ozrunways on your iPad you can put our data in your skyview. :)

(We also have georeferenced airports in the skyview - see below)

Attachments

• screenshot-SV_CLASS-SN03026-13_0_RC2_3171-20070101-002252-410-en_US.png
    screenshot-SV_CLASS-SN03026-13_0_RC2_3171-20070101-002252-410-en_US.png
    388.9 KB · Views: 154

DerekH

I love flying!
Hi Folks

If your having issues with the ozrunways maps, AvPlan can help you out. Call our office on 03 8370 3024. We don't have these chart locking issues.

Even if you use ozrunways on your iPad you can put our data in your skyview.  :)

(We also have georeferenced airports in the skyview - see below)

Hi Bevan, are you saying the I can purchase just the AvPlan charts on their own ?

bevan

I love flying!
Hi Bevan, are you saying the I can purchase just the AvPlan charts on their own ?

We sell the maps and daps by themselves as a separate product - you don't need to be an AvPlan EFB App subscriber or use AvPlan EFB on your iPad.

You download the data from our website onto a USB stick and plug it into the panel.

Thanks

Bevan..

Bardample

I love flying!
Jeff,
W[glow=yellow,2,300]hat do you mean that V13 fails to copy from your saved download to your USB storage? Do you mean a datalog to USB? Does it generate an error, or is the file you expect just not on the USB device when done?

Hi,
the ver 13.0.3 file that I saved in my Document folder ( on my iMac) failed to transfer to my USB stick. The USB stick had a file ver 13.0.3 present but had no content and when I tried to install on Skyview to update ver13.0.2 , it had message saying that it was not possible to update. Subsequent download from Dynon has been transfered to the USB stick. To date I haven't been able to get to the plane to try update again.

My Ozrunway data is on my USB stick, with the key file, but so far I am unsure if the callsign ( tail number) in my Skyview is in the exact form in the Ozrunway key, or is the 8mb ScanDisk USB formatted incorrectly? thanks Jeff

bevan

I love flying!
If you have v13 on your skyview, but having trouble with loading maps from the USB drive, give us a call on 03 8370 3024 and we can help you out.

Bevan..

mjp

I love flying!
No success with the hybrid vfr maps from oz runways loading onto my skyview- have tried many times yet the skyview will still not recognise the maps on the USB yet it wil recognise other updates ? Maps loaded onto top folder on USB as directed, skyview version up to date yet no joy!
Any suggestions

Jamie

Mixhael,
This may help you.
The OZrunways file you download will be called
HVFR-1506-yourcallsign.key

Note yourcallsign must not have a " - " in it.
eg VH-ABC will not work, however VHABC will work.

Now look in skyview
setup menu>system setup>airacraft information
your callsign here ALSO must not have any "-" in it.

I had to change mine from VH-XJL to VHXJL in the skyview then it worked.

You do not select " load files from usb" the files just stay on the usb stick, you select them from MAP>layers>

jamie

basscheffers

OzRunways Co-Founder
For support, it's best to get in touch with us at help.ozrunways.com.

Most common cases for it not working:
- Wrong tail number. Even if you enter dashes or spaces on our sales page, they will be removed, so "VH-LCF" becomes "VHLCF" and the latter is what should be the tail number in SkyView.
- Key file not copied to USB
- Incomplete map download. (Please try again!)

Please note that "Bevan" above is not associated with OzRunways, he's trying to sell you a competing product.

Regards,
Bas.

basscheffers

OzRunways Co-Founder
We just discovered some browsers added a ".txt" extension to the key file. If that's the case, removing it so it is just ".key" should work, or follow the link in the original email to re-download your key file. (As we found a work around for the issue.)

Bas.

OzRunways

OzRunways EFB
Here's a list of everything we know about the Dynon SkyView + OzRunways Hybrid VFR map.

Firstly -- the maps DO work. Lots of people have it working, so try and work through these points. The most common reason it doesn't work is a problem with the .key file, whether misnamed or contains the wrong registration. The reason we have the .key file is our obligation to Airservices Australia to take reasonable steps to protect their data from being duplicated in the wild (we have a good relationship with Airservices to properly license the maps).

Here's how it should work:

- Buy the map from OzRunways.com and enter your aircraft registration exactly as it appears in your SkyView.
- Note: The SkyView .key files don't like "-" and " " (space) characters in your registration so we chop them out. For example VH-ABC will be converted to VHABC
- We will send you an email with links to download the map and .key file
- Download and place these on a USB stick in the top level directory (i.e. not in a folder)
- Insert into the SkyView and they should show up in the appropriate menu.

If the maps DON'T appear on the SkyView:

- Make sure your SkyView is running the latest firmware from Dynon.
- Go into the SkyView and check your registration is what you entered on our website, for example VHABC
- Make sure the USB stick stays in the SkyView. It doesn't copy over the maps to the SkyView device.
- Double check your map and .key file aren't in any folders.
- Make sure the .key file has no spaces in it. For example:

HVFR-1506-VHABC.key   [good]
HVFR-1506-VHABC (1).key   [bad]

- Make sure the .key file doesn't have any sneaky .txt file name extensions (The Dynon won't find it):

HVFR-1506.key    [good]
HVFR-1506.key.txt  [Bad]

Note: sometimes Windows/Macs can hide filename extensions so it might look like .key but it has a hidden .txt on the end.

- Try downloading the map & key file again from the email you received. It may be a corrupt download or you could have removed the USB stick from your computer without properly ejecting it, possibly corrupting some data.

If you're still having troubles, please contact us at help.ozrunways.com and we can try generating you a new .key file to match your registration in the Dynon.

findme

I love flying!
At the risk of stating the obvious, the ability to use the OzRunways charts (or any other charting vendor's product) also requires that the Skyview SV-MAP-270 software module be installed and licensed (cost = USD$500) on your Skyview system.

Skyview systems do initally ship with this feature enabled, but you'll only get 30 flying hours to "try" out the feature, after which it is automatically disabled unless you purchase and install the SV-MAP-270 software license.

This would be important to know especially if you purchase a "pre-loved" or used aircraft and its previous owner(s) hadn't purchased/installed the SV-MAP-270 software (as was my case).

Nevertheless, both Dynon and OzRunways were extremely helpful in solving this "mystery" and I gratefully acknowledge their help. Am really looking forward to trying it all out!

Safe flying, Chris (Australia)

eddies

One more point that everyone should consider.

Unless you have PocketFMS or Jepsen data you will not be able to navigate to any of the airports displayed on your Australian hybrid maps.

Cheers
Eddie

DodgyPilot

I love flying!
So- looks like I need to keep something plugged into my USB port for the maps to work... which represents a problem if I want the Dynon WiFi connection to my iPad. Or am I missing something?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There are three USB ports on SkyView. You can run USB for charts, WiFi, and Video in all at once, one per USB port. You can also run a USB hub and use that to increase the ports.

One USB port is on a cable that's part of the SV-HARNESS-D37 that we ship with most SkyView displays. The other two are "chassis mount" on the back of the SkyView display. Given that the Wi-Fi adapter is installed and doesn't need to be removed, just get temporary access to the rear of the SkyView display and plug it in. Or, if you'd like, install a USB extension cable into those two USB ports for easier access.