Loss of ADSB-out

thomash.smith

I love flying!
I replace my old fuel pressure sensor with a new Kalvico sensor. This required I update my D180, D100, AP74 firmware. About this same time, my Garmin 430w to Trig transponder ADSB-out failed only in the ADSB portion. I still have a good transponder and good GPS position according to my FlightAware tracking data. However, I no longer show up on the faa.gov data for ADSB test activity. Could there be a programable change in the D180 that would affect my ADSB. The warning I am getting on my Trig transponder control head says "WARNING NO GPS POSITION."

jakej

ADSB OUT issues - in a word, no. The legacy Dynon units have no impact on the ADSB problem. I’d check the RS232 out from the 430 for continuity, also it should be a separate input to the Txpdr set as Garmin ADSB +. Also check that the 1.21k resistor in that line is not broken.

thomash.smith

I love flying!
ADSB OUT issues - in a word, no. The legacy Dynon units have no impact on the ADSB problem. I’d check the RS232 out from the 430 for continuity, also it should be a separate input to the Txpdr set as Garmin ADSB +. Also check that the 1.21k resistor in that line is not broken.

thomash.smith

I love flying!
JakeJ, thanks for your prompt reply. I have good continuity and activity between the 430w and the Trig. I have also replaced the 430w and Trig with loaners and got the same WARNING. Could you explain further about this resistor? Thanks, Tom

jakej

My bad re the resistor (its not required), confused it with the requirements for SV system.

"Could there be a programable change in the D180 that would affect my ADSB. The warning I am getting on my Trig transponder control head says "WARNING NO GPS POSITION."
Just want to be clear here - there is nothing you can do to the D180 that will have an impact on your ADSB.

thomash.smith

I love flying!
My bad re the resistor (its not required), confused it with the requirements for SV system.

"Could there be a programable change in the D180 that would affect my ADSB. The warning I am getting on my Trig transponder control head says "WARNING NO GPS POSITION."
Just want to be clear here - there is nothing you can do to the D180 that will have an impact on your ADSB.
Thanks again, your verification that the D180 update would have nothing to do with my ADSB out failure is exactly the info I was looking for. I am abandoning my current ADSB system and going with a SkyBeacon.
Tom

jakej

Thomas - that’s a pity, I’d rather see you speed money on avgas that buying something else you don’t need, the 430w & Trig combo will do the job of ADSB OUT. There will be something missing in the troubleshooting here - I’m willing to assist offline here if you want?
will PM you.

thomash.smith

I love flying!
Jake, Thanks, but I've been working on this problem since Nov. and with people much smarter than me. It has baffled everyone. It makes no sense, None-the-less my ADSB died according to the FAA readouts in the middle of September. It's time for me to move on. I appreciate your offer, thanks again. Tom

Belly3870

Im having the same issue. It was working fine for a while and then just stopped. I get the "NO ADSB No GPS Position" message as well. do you think the GPS itself went bad?

thomash.smith

I love flying!
What type of GPS and transponder do you have? I replace both with loaners and it didn't do any good. The R-232 connection between the two was good. No one at Garmin or Trig could help. Tried every reconfiguration possible.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Tom,

You might want to try a different serial connection from the 430W. Keep in mind that a loaner 430W likely has different settings WRT the serial connection settings. This connection does require a resistor inline to the Trig/Dynon transponder (at least it does for the Dynon XPNDR-261) per the install manual.

@Belly3870 Check that the GPS 2020 serial feed is incrementing.

Belly3870

no Im not getting anything from Rx or Tx. Only group errors. the connections all look good.

thomash.smith

I love flying!
Tom,

You might want to try a different serial connection from the 430W. Keep in mind that a loaner 430W likely has different settings WRT the serial connection settings. This connection does require a resistor inline to the Trig/Dynon transponder (at least it does for the Dynon XPNDR-261) per the install manual.

@Belly3870 Check that the GPS 2020 serial feed is incrementing.

thomash.smith

I love flying!
Did change the serial port on my 430w. Double checked the configuration of the loaner 430w. Didn't check a resistor. I don't see one in my cockpit wiring diagram.

jakej

Ok guys, just some relevant some info here. Many people have all sorts of combinations of equipment so it may be a good idea to be specific eg - transponder model, is it the SV- 261/262 version or the Trig TT 21/22/31 etc?
GPS input direct to Transponder = if using the SV- 261/262 then you MUST have the 1.21k resistor fitted in that line (pin 3) as per Dynon installation manual.
GPS RS 232- eg Avidyne or Garmin etc (Aviation) input to SV HDX or classic= goes directly to the ARINC converter (otherwise that RS 232 should go direct to a serial port). Hope that clears things a bit.;)
Raymo is correct in post # 12.
I’ve done many installations with all sorts of combinations of equipment & never known any to not work - sometimes it’s difficult to see the answer to issues however it WILL work out in the end.

Raymo

I love aviation!
no Im not getting anything from Rx or Tx. Only group errors. the connections all look good.

Suggest calling Dynon support for assistance. If you can borrow an antenna from someone else to test, that might help determine root cause. Also, confirm settings are correct in the serial connection config.

Belly3870

Suggest calling Dynon support for assistance. If you can borrow an antenna from someone else to test, that might help determine root cause. Also, confirm settings are correct in the serial connection config.
Thanks Raymo! I did, it looks like my antenna went bad. getting a replacement now.