Lost Nav Source with Garmin 696 ver 6.0

Foxflier

Good news! I'm going to get out next weekend and try mine out. I am setting up to capture NMEA data per Dynon's request in case I do get a NAV to TRK switch-over. I'm hopeful maybe 6.1 fixed the new issue as well as the old drop-out issue.

Foxflier

I flew for an hour today -- about 45 mins with AP. Did have one lost NAV source dropout but not like with the V6 Garmin firmware. 6.1 apparently does fix the 696 but it appears I'll still see the dropouts at about the same interval. I didn't have a chance to get a serial connection ready for my laptop so I didn't log the NMEA. Hopefully in a few weeks.

Really wish Dynon could come up with a fix... :(

stevelindell

Flew 5 hours with 6.20 software on my Garmin 696 feeding the EFIS D100 AP; no drop outs, perfect function restored.

Foxflier

Flew 5 hours with 6.20 software on my Garmin 696 feeding the EFIS D100 AP; no drop outs, perfect function restored.

Hi SteveL, couple of quick questions.

Did you experience dropouts prior to V6.0 of the 696 software (that Garmin hosed up)?

Do you feed your GPS serial to your D100 via the Pin 22 (yellow) connection?

I have an EMS-D120 along with my D100 therefore I feed my serial input to the system via the EMS using the Aux Serial receive line (per Dynon instructions). I'm trying to see if dropouts could be the result of using that EMS serial receive line. If others are not seeing dropouts with the GPS connected directly to the EFIS then I'm going to try it to see.

Thanks in advance,

Ted

rich1

I love flying!
Ted wrote;
I'm trying to see if dropouts could be the result of using that EMS serial receive line.  If others are not seeing dropouts with the GPS connected directly to the EFIS then I'm going to try it to see.

My Garmin 396 is connected to a EFIS D10A and have AP droup outs all the time. I also have a EMS D10 connected on the DSAB buss. Swapping to the EFIS probably won't make a difference.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It doesn't make a difference, as far as we know, but we'd need some more field reports to be more sure of that.

Any of you experiencing the issue: What Garmin product, and what serial port is the GPS connected to?