Low temperature (14° F) and dysplay problems

marc.dahlet

Hello,
Actually, temperatures are low (14°F). Last week-end, when starting on EFIS D 100 and EMS D 120, I observed :
-EMS D 120 display is immediately normal
-EFIS D100 : nothing for 3-4 minutes, then display appears. Later, I have observed horizontal white lines, but each value in the instruments was correct.WHen I stopped the engine and turned off everything else than EFIS, the problem was the same.
May these problems be in relation with low temperature ?
Thanks
Marc

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It's possible - we've seen a few temperature sensitive units over the years. Do as much testing as you can there (comparing cold starts vs warm cabin starts), but we'll need to take a look at the unit to ultimately evaluate and repair.

R_Glick

Beta Tester
Mike,

I've brought this up via phone and here but have been dealing with it since we are focusing on the discharging issue. +20F to 25ish my D100 boots slow but does come on. +10 to +20F the screen will flash like it is trying to boot but doesn't. Below +10F forget it. I have been dealing with this by preheating under the canopy before flying which is not a problem since I haven't been away from a heat source yet. The EMS10 never has had a problem. BTW, my D100 was upgraded to the brite screen a few weeks ago so I did receive a "different unit". The old one was doing the same temp thing. Not sure how old the "new" unit is, I was just told it was a refurb.

Rick
RV7A
D100
EMS10
B/K KMD150
B/K AV8OR
Pictorial Pilot
SL30

aceflyingservice

Re: Low temperature (40° F) and display problems

I have a similar situation with my EMS D10. When turned on while cold (40 degrees or less is cold here in Arizona!), it powers up in a very dim mode and will not adjust brighter. After being on for several minutes it gradually returns to normal operation. This is in either the auto or manual dim modes. The EFIS D10A powers up normally. This has not been a big problem as the ambient temp is usually much higher. Just FYI.

Roger Johnson
LongEZ N34JR

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Rick - give us a call at tech support. We may want to take a look at your unit (just fyi, tech support Mike normally doesn't reply here, but does follow the forum)

Roger - Are you running recent firmware on the EMS? We had an issue a while back that looked exactly like that, but with recent firmware (>4.0 for sure, maybe even earlier), the screen is turned on in a different way to eliminate this issue.

R_Glick

Beta Tester
I just left a message with Tech Support. Give me a call at 262-247-0406
Rick

marc.dahlet

this afternoon it was less cold (35°F). The display was normal as soon as I turned on the unit (immediate), without any horizontal white lines.