NAV RADIO

thomdavies

I love flying!
I agree, a Dynon NAV radio, or NAV/COM would be great. VORs are not disappearing; they're still pretty extensively used for IFR VOR/Localizer/GS approaches.

Also agreeing with another response, how about a Certified GPS - how much better is a Garmin GPS than the Dynon (I don't know)?

Raymo

I love aviation!
In the mean time, check out the MGL N16 NAV radio and Razor control head. It provides essentially the same functionality as the SL30 but for a lot less money and the radio is remotely installed (Razor in the panel). You can push frequencies from the Dynon SV too. I've done a lot of research and this seems to be the least expensive way (in 2018) to have IFR capability. The VAL Avionics Nav radio is also an option but lacks some of the features of the MGL and SL30.

There are many GPS Navigators on the market today. A GPS "receiver" doesn't get you to IFR anything. The software and databases have to meet vigorous TSO requirements, which is why they are so expensive.

breister

I love flying!
In the mean time, check out the MGL N16 NAV radio and Razor control head. It provides essentially the same functionality as the SL30 but for a lot less money and the radio is remotely installed (Razor in the panel). You can push frequencies from the Dynon SV too. I've done a lot of research and this seems to be the least expensive way (in 2018) to have IFR capability. The VAL Avionics Nav radio is also an option but lacks some of the features of the MGL and SL30.

There are many GPS Navigators on the market today. A GPS "receiver" doesn't get you to IFR anything. The software and databases have to meet vigorous TSO requirements, which is why they are so expensive.

I could be mistaken, but I believe both the MGL Comm and Nav radios accept SL 30 control input, suggesting that both could be controlled by Skyview. Love Dynon, but the two of them together are only a couple of hundred bucks more than just the Dynon COMM radio, just sayin'... Of course, if you only have a single Skyview and it croaks, you'd have no way to tune the radios. But, a dual Skyview on the other hand...