New Dual Band ADS-B for SkyView / AF-5000 Systems

Raymo

I love aviation!
The website says it will be a limited time option. Can you provide the time frame for trade-ins?

I'm in no hurry to upgrade since I live and fly in an area that is well covered by ground stations but having the new capability would likely be useful someday.

ebke-zenith

I love flying!
OK, so several times it is said, antenna must be 2 feet from transponder antenna.
My current space between ADSB 470 and Transponder antennas is 1.5 feet and systems have functioned well.
Is this an absolute for new 472 unit?
It would entail new antenna mount further back behind main spar. It would be nice to just plug current antenna into unit.
Any leeway with install spacing?

swatson999

OK, so several times it is said, antenna must be 2 feet from transponder antenna.
My current space between ADSB 470 and Transponder antennas is 1.5 feet and systems have functioned well.
Is this an absolute for new 472 unit?
It would entail new antenna mount further back behind main spar. It would be nice to just plug current antenna into unit.
Any leeway with install spacing?

Anything wrong with just trying it to see how it works before making a change? :)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The spacing requirement is there to prevent you from actually physically damaging components on the ADS-B receiver. The 300W coming out of the transponder antenna is pretty tough to handle on the ADS-B receiver side, which is designed to be sensitive to 0.000000001 watts. It's not just a "working well" but an actual concern for damage.

We've already done all we can to reduce the spacing. Most certified devices want 5+ feet. We'd really like 3 feet for optimal performance but can just barley handle 2 before damage, so we spec'd that so people could actually make it work on smaller experimentals. Remember, the power goes up by the square of the distance, so reducing from 2' to 1.5' doesn't up the power seen by the 472 by 25%, it ups the power by 77%.

So I guess that's a "please don't" ;)

ebke-zenith

I love flying!
Thanks for the clarification on the transponder antenna. The details speak volumes to continue to follow instructions.
Forgive me for asking further, but as I move back on the fuselage floor, I will be moving toward the comm antenna.
Any concerns there?
Thanks for your help Dynon Support.
Sincerely,
Jerold

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The COM antenna isn't an issue. It's 1/30th the power and a totally different frequency. You can get as close to this as you want (well, don't get just an inch away I guess).

n223rv

So what antenna do you recommend for the dual band ADSB receiver? I see you sell a 978 and 1090 MHz. Also, what are the ramifications of using the wrong one?

Thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We recommend a 978MHz antenna for the Dual Band device. Transmit power is only 25-40W on 978MHz but 150-300W on 1090MHz, so 1090 is much easier to pick up.

If you use the "wrong" antenna then you'll have slightly less range for FIS-B weather information. It may not even be noticeable though, people have used 1060MHz transponder antennas for years with 978MHz receivers.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Some other ADS-B in systems optionally use a top and bottom mounted antenna. Is this possible with the 472 to improve reception of aircraft above?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Diversity (top/bottom antenna) is only used on huge aircraft where the concern is the aircraft itself can block the signal. There's really no advantage to this on small aircraft. Adding diversity costs a more than double, so it's not a trivial thing to do. We put the ADS-B antenna on the bottom where it can have an optimal view of the ground stations, and then the chance of an airplane somehow approaching from the top and being within a mile of you without seeing it because you didn't have a top antenna is basically zero. Traffic 10 miles away doesn't really matter.

swatson999

IIRC, there was supposed to be some info on the upgrade program after Sun 'n Fun...?

I put my name on the list, but haven't heard anything yet...any news on this?

Thanks!

turbopilot

IIRC, there was supposed to be some info on the upgrade program after Sun 'n Fun...?

I put my name on the list, but haven't heard anything yet...any news on this?

Thanks!

I signed up too and have not heard anything. Maybe they sold out at S&F.

GaryK

I love flying!
I called Dynon early Monday morning about the trade in. I had ordered it as soon as I could before Sun and Fun but hadn't heard anything. Was told I would get a call back but nothing so far.

Gary

J

Jrskygod

Join the club. I have my plane opened up for condition inspection and was hoping to make the switch but was told yesterday that the program has not been started as yet although there are more than 100 requests on the list. Bummer!!!!

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We're still getting caught up post SnF. We'll be starting trade-ins very shortly. Thanks for your continued patience while we get spooled up.

mitch757

How does the mounting holes compare with the older ADS-B mounting holes. Just wondering if I have to install more nutplates in my RV12.

ebke-zenith

I love flying!
I am still running Version 14.0 because it has worked perfectly for me.
Will I need to upgrade to the latest Version 15 whatever for the 472 to work?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes. Handling the dual bands of the 472 requires new firmware on the screens.