New Firmware Release Questions

dalpilot

Joel,
I changed to "normal" and everything works great.
Thanks so much for the help.
I still do not know what the APB sentence is, but the HSI is way cool.
Dick

Love my Legend Cub :)

WT9

I also can confirm now - the Skymap IIIC works well with the new firmware. Great work Dynon !!! ::)
(It doesn´t work until today, because "Data out" from the Skymap goes to the wrong pin)
The Skymap IIIC only works with "AR 9600 Baud" how Dave wrote. But I think there is a little Problem with this. I think "AR 9600 Baud" don´t send the GPS Time to the EFIS - but all other updates works perfect - also the HSI! In "NMEA" Mode the Skymap send the GPS Time to the EFIS - but in this Mode the HSI don´t work.

Dynon .. there appears a other Problem. Sometime the right Button have no function! So I can´t get out from the menue with the "Back" or "Exit" Button. A few minutes later everything works well.

Regards, John

vinhvinh

I have emd d120 and efis D100. I have a gps garmon 296. I often make 2 to 4 hre flight. I have 20 hre with the new firmware. I had 2 gps drop out. One after 2hre of flight and the other after 3.5 hre. Did not do anything before the drop out. Return to normal after recycling the ems. Just to let you know. Everything else work well. congradulation for this new firmware. ;)

Ken_Harrill

I have a D10A connected to a Skymap IIIC. The new firmware is very impressive. Congratulations to Dynon! I have flown twice and it seems the winds information is unstable sometimes and not "believable" at times. What could cause the winds information to be inaccurate when everything else seems to be working fine?

Ken Harrill

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
For winds to be accurate, you need:

Accurate magnetic heading
Accurate OAT
Accurate Altimeter
Accurate Airspeed
Accurate GPS info

Any of these could cause the wind to look weird if it were off.

Are your winds stable when you are on a stable heading? If they don't move when you are straight and level, but are different from before when you turn, then it's probably an iffy magnetic calibration. If they are changing while you are turning, well, that's kind of expected because the GPS data lags the real world by up to a second. We try and filter as much of this out as possible, but maybe we can do better.

It's also possible that the Skymap outputs data slower or different than we expect and that's causing problems. Some more detail on exactly what it is doing and when would be helpful.

Ken_Harrill

Thanks for the prompt reply. As soon as the weather clears, I will get some more detailed inflight information about the "winds" indication.

Ken Harrill

WestCoastOz

WT9 wrote " But I think there is a little Problem with this. I think "AR 9600 Baud" don´t send the GPS Time to the EFIS - but all other updates works perfect - also the HSI! In "NMEA" Mode the Skymap send the GPS Time to the EFIS - but in this Mode the HSI don´t work."

I confirm that I also have the same results as John (WT9) noted in his post above.  ie.  The HSI works perfectly but the  Skymap does not send the time to the EFIS using 'AR 9600 Baud' format and vice versa in NMEA mode.
Can this be addressed in a future firmware update or is it an inherent problem in the Skymap IIIc?

Thanks

trallen

I am experiencing the same thing as some other posters with the new firmware upgrade. I wired mine where I could select between 2 GPS units. One is a Lowrance 500 and the other is a Garmin stand alone feeding a Anywhere Map running on a HP 4700. Both units output NMEA data and my autopilot works just fine on both units. When I select the HSI display I course is slaved to 360 and the altitude reads 00000. All other functions appear to be OK. This is the same problem that several other people have had with other units using NMEA outputs. Is there a future firmware upgrade in the works that will fix this problem? It seems to be a problem with all units with NMEA output only.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Which Garmin is this? We know we have issues with the Lowrance units, but we have yet to hear of issues with any Garmin units.

We'll fix the Lowrance issue in the next update.

Ken_Harrill

Regarding the experience that I had with erratic winds indication, it appears that the inclination setting was lost on my unit at some point. I reset the inclination and recalibrated the mag compass, and now the winds indication seems to be working properly.

Ken Harrill

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We don't have a hard date for our next release. It could be a month, it could be 4 months. We will get it out and fixed for sure, but if you need to make a decision based on a hard date, you'll need to take your other option. We don't want to promise anything and then disappoint.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Ken,

Glad to hear you got the winds fixed. As an FYI, the inclination is only used during calibration, so changing that after a cal shouldn't mess you up, but it does sound like you lost the calibration somehow.

n223rv

I am experiencing the same thing as some other posters with the new firmware upgrade. I wired mine where I could select between 2 GPS units. One is a Lowrance 500 and the other is a Garmin stand alone feeding a Anywhere Map running on a HP 4700. Both units output NMEA data and my autopilot works just fine on both units. When I select the HSI display I course is slaved to 360 and the altitude reads 00000. All other functions appear to be OK. This is the same problem that several other people have had with other units using NMEA outputs. Is there a future firmware upgrade in the works that will fix this problem? It seems to be a problem with all units with NMEA output only.

Your Garmin Fix is in the archives.....

<<I figured out how to get my 296 to communicate with the EFIS. Go to the com port setup on the GPS and select NMEA Out. With that selected, hit the Menu button and you get an option for advanced NMEA setup. You will then have the option for Fast or Normal output. Choose Normal. This allows the unit to send a full package of NMEA sentences. If Fast is chosen, there is a limited amount of data sent which lacks the APB sentence.>>

Etienne

Just a word of thanks to the Dynon developers...

I flew my first cross country last week using the HSI. Actually the first time I've ever used an HSI of any type, and found it incredibly simple to figure out where I should be going and what corrections were required to compensate for the howling crosswind (25mph at times).

To get surface wind at an airfield, all I did was a low-level runway inspection and up it came. :)

trallen

Which Garmin is this? We know we have issues with the Lowrance units, but we have yet to hear of issues with any Garmin units.

We'll fix the Lowrance issue in the next update.

The Garmin unit I believe is called the 35. It's a receiver all contained in the antenna used to feed GPS information into a HP 4700 iPaq for the Anywhere Map software. The software allows you to through put the GPS data to another device. My autopilot works fine with the data but have the CDI problems with the HSI display. The only thing I can change in the NMEA page is the Date Rate. Right now it is set at 4800.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
In your case, the Garmin GPS isn't really our issue- an HSI requires a data source that has waypoints so it can output navigation information, not just position information, which is your anywhere map software. A simple GPS puck receiver has no idea where you wish to go so it can't drive an HSI.

The Anywhere map software doesn't output the sentences we need. You'll need to take that up with them if you wish to make it work with that software.

trallen

In your case, the Garmin GPS isn't really our issue- an HSI requires a data source that has waypoints so it can output navigation information, not just position information, which is your anywhere map software. A simple GPS puck receiver has no idea where you wish to go so it can't drive an HSI.

The Anywhere map software doesn't output the sentences we need. You'll need to take that up with them if you wish to make it work with that software.

Thanks, I had a sneaking suspicion that's what it was. I also have a Lowrance hooked up to the system and will wait for your fix so I can use it to drive the system. Thanks again for your explanation.

kirkgroves

Hello,
Please forgive this very basic question but here goes....
I have a D-100 and would like to update the new firmware and add a Garmin handheld 196 for the GPS input. I love the idea of winds aloft, is it just as simply as adding the firmware and wiring the gps in. Or am I missing a lot ??
Thanks for taking the time

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, just update the firmware in your EFIS and hook the 196 serial transmit line into the EFIS receive line.