NEW: SkyView HDX - The Premier SkyView Experience

Raymo

I love aviation!
They've said previously that it will be the same cutout but different screw locations for the bottom two screws.

sshae

I love flying!
I am sure Dynon will chime in here, but when I observed the new 10" displays at Oshkosh they had about a 3/4" high block off panel at the bottom, underneath / behind the new angled panel, to cover the excess opening left when they removed the old skyview from their display panel...

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So to clarify: The SkyView Classic / Touch cutout is large enough for the HDX, with the middle vertical screw holes unused and different positioning for the lower ones. And actually, because of the kicked out bezel, the Touch/Classic cutout is slightly too tall. For those retrofitting, we'll have a plate to fill the gap. For those of you that are planning for HDX, we'll have HDX-specific cutouts available shortly.

dutchroll

Is it just a bit of an illusion, or does the HDX screen have slightly more visible display real estate due to the bezel changes?

Also while the engine layout at the bottom will be welcomed by many, am I correct in assuming this is simply an additional feature but the HDX plans to retain all or most of the existing PFD/MAP/ENG page layout flexibility?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
They're very slightly different (getting dimensions from the engineering team). The 10" is a touch taller and narrower, but we're talking small fractions of an inch. The aesthetic is definitely more "open" though, so I think that's some of the effect.

The bottom band is indeed an additional feature (that we suspect most people will use). HDX has a different screen paradigm for the PFD/MAP/EMS pages though. If you want everything on one screen at the same time, you'll need to use the bottom band on HDX. To do a 50/50 split-screen, there's a really quick way to choose what is on the split screen that is both different and more intuitive than SkyView Classic and Touch. We'll be showing off more of the specifics shortly, but we're pretty excited about the HDX interface.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Update here. These are viewable area dimensions. Note that they're incredibly close, with millimeters of difference.

10" SkyView Classic/Touch/SE: 221.80mm x 131.52mm
10" SkyView HDX: 216.96mm x 135.60mm

7" SkyView Classic/Touch/SE: 152.40mm x 91.44mm
7" SkyView HDX: 149.76mm x 93.60mm

dutchroll

Those viewable dimensions seem to match the 10 inch HDX panel planning template in the latest catalog pretty closely but not so much the 7 inch one, unless I have some sort of strange print scaling issue.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Looking into it. We may have a scaling error in the catalog (they're not templates, by the way. Please don't cut your panel to them)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So the above numbers are correct on the LCD viewable area. And the outer dimensions on both in the panel planner are right. The picture of the screen on the panel planner is a bit optimistic though. It turns out we went to print with the brochures before we had drawings available (and conforming prototypes finished), so those graphics were more or less a rough estimate based on some earlier design renderings.

davedubb

Panel cutout drawings and .dxf 2 CAD files are now available for the HDX 10"and 7".

Go here to download:
http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/support_documentation.html

dutchroll

Looking into it. We may have a scaling error in the catalog (they're not templates, by the way. Please don't cut your panel to them)
No probs - wasn't planning to. I saw they were labelled "actual size" so I just cut them out to get a rough approximation of relative sizes.

Thanks for the CAD files - autocad is what I actually use for panel planning.