Not enough volume

dougnlina

I love flying!
Loud aircraft, all menu settings maxed out and volume knob on SV-Com is turned all the way up. Volume is almost adequate but sure would be nice to be able to get a bit more out of it. 2 SV-700 displays with audio outputs tied together as per the installation manual, all sounds work and apparent but again, would be nice if louder. Airplane is using a PS Engineering Audio Panel, this response from PS:

"The audio panel (all of our audio panels behave the same because they are all based upon TSO’d product) provide only unitary gain. We do not provide amplification of the radios. It is interesting however to learn that the ICS volume is fine but not the two radios. I suspect it may be a limitation of the output of the two radios.
Our output amplifiers can put out 8.5 volts peak to peak into a 150 ohm load. So this is what I would look at with your radios. They may not have enough output voltage to drive your headphones loud enough.
FYI, the headphone amplifier you are using is the same exact headphone in all of our PMA7000 and PMA8000 series audio panel, so with over 50,000 in the field, we have gotten surprising good feedback from the owners of warbirds, aerobatic pilots, and all sorts of certified aircraft.
I wish I had an answer for you but I do not unfortunately.

Are there any tricks to increase the gain in the Skyview products, most importantly the SV-COMM? I like my COMM loud and readable. No issues with transmitting Mic Gain seems fine.
DP

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Unfortunately, there is no simple trick to get more level out of the SV-COM. We have the levels set so that full volume is just on the verge of clipping (5V pk-pk). If we changes component values and increased the gain further, it would clip and be distorted.

dougnlina

I love flying!
Yes, headset, skyview D700, SV-COMM are all the way up. Its usable as is but not as loud as the PS Engineering Audio Panels amplifier for cockpit communication, sounds like the Skyview is 5V and the PS is 8.5V comparative output. It would be nice to add earplugs under the headset for greater passive ambient hearing protection, I can do this and hear the inter-cabin conversation, but the Comm Radio and Skyview calls get too quiet. Sounds like I'll just have to live with it... :(

Raymo

I love aviation!
I suspect something is wired incorrectly - as in two headsets sharing the same output from the intercom, which would increase the resistance and reduce the volume.

My RV-7A is very loud too (no mufflers) but I have the radio at half volume and the intercom at about 30% with internal settings at their defaults.

dougnlina

I love flying!
System is wired correctly, 2 place aircraft with headsets wired individually and appropriately. The aircraft is just loud at lower elevations & full power. There is no muffler, short 4 into one exhaust exiting under my knees in a fabric aircraft. The shape of the windshield also seems to play a factor reflecting the ambient sound. No solutions, I have simply gotten used to it and when in a "high communication" environment I just fly at lower power settings.