Output logic from SV Classic?

airguy

Dynon - is there a way to get output logic from the Skyview based on flight conditions? Specifically what I would like to do is have Skyview give me a pin either grounded or with +5/+12 for sensing when I am above a specific airspeed, say 100 knots. Below that speed when my landing lights are on I would want them on solid, above that speed I would want them to wig-wag for visibility. The wig-wag and solid switching I can handle separately - I'm just looking for Skyview to tell my switching module the airspeed status, either high or low. Is that possible?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
There isn't that I can think of, although you can configure a serial port to output flight information, which includes IAS. But you'd need to receive it with something computery and process it from there.

airguy

with something computery

That's what I was afraid of - I'm going to have to put on my "Wizard of Blinky Flashy Things" hat.

How is the transponder currently controlled between Ground and ALT? Is it based on airspeed or altitude above ground?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
How is the transponder currently controlled between Ground and ALT? Is it based on airspeed or altitude above ground?

It has a proprietary algorithm using both GPS data and air data. It doesn't use any one input.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I too was going to suggest either an airspeed switch or tying into your flap position sensor to handle the logic. Maybe even fuel pump, if turned on for landing...

airguy

I too was going to suggest either an airspeed switch or tying into your flap position sensor to handle the logic. Maybe even fuel pump, if turned on for landing...

I have an entirely electric fuel system, so the pump idea won't work - but the hardware airspeed switch would, as well as the flap idea. I believe I can tie into the flap system easier than installing the airspeed switch. I normally drop flaps at 90 knots coming into the pattern anyway, so that would be a reasonable time to bring the landing lights on solid.

mrdaud

I wanted a safety switch for my electric flaps and used the DesignFlex pressure switch (http://www.designflexswitches.com/switches/psf100a.php). You can buy air switches from several flap controller sites (see example: Aircraft Extras - http://www.aircraftextras.com/RelaySpeedCont1.htm), but they use a normally open configuration which requires an additional relay module (you want normally closed below a certain airspeed). The switch/relay set is $65. The switch is adjustable (use airspeed instrument or manometer to set airspeed). Not wanting the extra relay to supply power to my flap module, I contacted DesignFlex and they made me a NC switch. They had a custom fabrication minimum of $75, but I got two switches. Pretty cheap insurance to keep from accidentally lowering the flaps at 190 Kts! Has been very reliable and works great. This would be simple and work well for your application. However, since you want automatic switching, you would want to use a relay so you have power in either "on" or "wig-wag" mode.

airguy

I wanted a safety switch for my electric flaps and used the DesignFlex pressure switch (http://www.designflexswitches.com/switches/psf100a.php).  You can buy air switches from several flap controller sites (see example: Aircraft Extras - http://www.aircraftextras.com/RelaySpeedCont1.htm),  but they use a normally open configuration which requires an additional relay module (you want normally closed below a certain airspeed).  The switch/relay set is $65. The switch is adjustable (use airspeed instrument or manometer to set airspeed).  Not wanting the extra relay to supply power to my flap module, I contacted DesignFlex and they made me a NC switch.  They had a custom fabrication minimum of $75, but I got two switches.  Pretty cheap insurance to keep from accidentally lowering the flaps at 190 Kts! Has been very reliable and works great.  This would be simple and work well for your application.  However, since you want automatic switching, you would want to use a  relay so you have power in either "on" or "wig-wag" mode.

Right, ideally I would use the airspeed switch and DPDT relay to send power to the wig-wag module for high airspeed, or direct to the LED landing lights if low airspeed. The relay would operate 100% of the time based on airspeed but the lights would only be powered when I select the landing light switch on.