Panel mounting the USB port included in the standard wire harness

owenssonex

Hello,
Any recommendations to purchase a compatible part so I can panel mount the supplied remote USB port of the skyview wiring harness? I'm not to excited about the esthetics of the options I found that require a pretty big round hole with the tightening nut on the panel side versus on the back of the panel.

Thanks,
Jim
HDX1100

Raymo

I love aviation!
I did this to make the monthly updates a breeze and allow for easy access to the drive to retrieve logs and screen shots. Something like this should work.

Last edited:

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We have a couple of options for this ourselves, although we generally recommend running this part to the back of the display to one of the unit-mounted ports:

owenssonex

I addressed this by manufacturing a mount for the stock USB port in the wiring harness. I significantly reduced the length of the cable. It was a simple job, the only interesting part was understanding that the bare ground wire had a bit of heat shield on it- it looked like normal wire shield when I first looked at it. I installed a similar heat shrink tube. I've very happy to have this task complete- I use the remote port every flight for data log download and analysis.

XPRSAV8R

Here's an option. I have a USB port for each display. This isn't recessed but looks nice. They are friction fitted. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0742961GS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1.

Northernliving

I love flying!

Attachments

• USB.JPG
    USB.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 168

Corefile

I've looked at a lot of panel mount USB Connectors and the ones already mentioned (including Dynons) all look sort of cheep). I really like this Amphenol MUSB-C311-30-ND connector. I've tested it with my Dynon system and it works great.

Agree on the Dynon panel mount USB extension looking cheep - and this one you linked to looks alot better - but the design does not look very robust, with the only thing supporting the back ports and the extension cable being the actual circuit board itself.